Hey,

About to put a fisher branded telefunken 12ax7 in a 1969 sunn Solarus.

Just want to make sure there's no issues with heater voltage, I can't find the voltages for the amp or the tube. Should I be worrying at all?

Right now there's a Raytheon 7025 in v1

Also, one of the power tube sockets is very loose in the chassis (tube is tight in the socket though)
It should be just fine. First, Telefunkens were incredibly stout and durable tubes, and many lasted for over a decade. They're legendary for their longevity. Second, I think few guitar amps put enough heater voltage through their preamp tubes to cause any trouble. I'm pretty sure the 7025 is an industrial military version of a 12ax7, so you should be good to go. Now, for someone with a lot more knowledge on the subject, I'd talk to Cathbard. He'd probably be able to give you more definite information than I can.

Telefunkens are incredible tubes. I have two in my Splawn, and more left for spares. You made a good choice to get a hold of one!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
A 7025 is just a low noise 12AX7. They are a direct replacement for each other. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.

The tube socket is probably held in place by two screws/bolts. They'll just need nipping up. If it was a newer amp with PCB mounted sockets it might be a concern but not in something like that. Just locate the screws and tighten them. Now if you have to get into the chassis to tighten them (like to hold a nut maybe) be very careful because there are deadly voltages in there even when turned off and unplugged. You need to discharge the caps. If you don't know what I am talking about or how to go about it take it to somebody that does.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys and cath, after opening it up, it's actually the pins that are loose in the socket, not the tube socket/chassis connection. Would a bit of hot glue be an appropriate fix? And thanks for the warning, I have worked in tube amps before (replaced the power cable and removed the death cap in this one not too long ago)

Cheers!
No, definitely not. The words hot glue and amp should not appear in the same sentence without a big DON'T in between them.
It is possible to re-tension some sockets but it's best to replace the entire socket.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was afraid of that. Thanks again popped the telefunken in, will reassemble soon to see how it sounds

EDIT: fired it up and it sounds amazing as expected! The tube totally killed the muddiness present with the raytheon, added a nice shot of clarity. Quite pleased. (other tubes are british mullards and a raytheon 7199 in the PI btw).
Last edited by SGRocker400 at Feb 27, 2012,