Hi, I'm in need of a pedal for recording. I've been using a Peavey Vypyr 75w using the direct line out port, but since the Vypyr is a modeling amp I'm a little limited when it comes to customizing my tone. Does anyone know of a good pedal that will allow me to record directly out of it without the need of a cab or an amp head? I've heard good things about the line 6 pods, but I've been pretty skeptical about line 6 products after hearing how horrible their Spiders sounded when you turned up the gain.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

And also, I'm mostly going to be recording stuff similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1zdAL_ikQ

I'm looking for some good heavy distorted tones as well as some nice cleans. I really like the sound of the solo (It starts at around 3:50 on the video) for both clean and dirty.

I'll be using an LTD H-1001 with EMGs as well as an Ibanez RGT42FM with the same pups for recording. My budget is around $300, but feel free to suggest anything above that. I'd just like to know what's out there right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help you might be able offer me!
How the heck can a modelling amp limit you in terms of tone, especially one with like 20 something amp models? whatever its shortcomings, lack of versatility is not one.

Just use a different amp model, and use the USB out instead of the line out.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Feb 26, 2012,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
How the heck can a modelling amp limit you in terms of tone, especially one with like 20 something amp models? whatever its shortcomings, lack of versatility is not one.

Just use a different amp model, and use the USB out instead of the line out.

Sorry, I worded that a bit wrong. I'm not limited in terms tone altogether, I'm more limited in how I can customize those tones. And although the Vypyr sounds great for jamming, I can't seem to find a tone that I'd want to use recording. But that could just be me being too picky... It's working for now while I'm just recording demos, but eventually I want to find something that I could use and being completely satisfied with the tone I get.
Try a Zoom G3, I don't have on but I've heard a lot of good things about them, its comes with decent software too. I've heard enough good things to make me want to buy the G5 that's coming out soon (:
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
Sorry, I worded that a bit wrong. I'm not limited in terms tone altogether, I'm more limited in how I can customize those tones. And although the Vypyr sounds great for jamming, I can't seem to find a tone that I'd want to use recording. But that could just be me being too picky... It's working for now while I'm just recording demos, but eventually I want to find something that I could use and being completely satisfied with the tone I get.

What amp models have you tried? Tried boosting them?

More than a pedal, get an interface. Lots of great free amp sims to use. Sims like LePou and TSE sound great. A pedal like a POD or above posters suggestion of a G3 are godsends live.....switching between tones is really easy. But if its recording and only recording, IMO an interface and a good amp sim VST is a better bet.

If you absolutely must have a pedal, the G3 is quite good if you want only amp modelling. However, it has its drawbacks- you can only use 2 effects aside from the amp modelling itself. The POD Bean is a good bet (the PODS use a different DSP as compared to the Spiders. Spider=shit. Pod=good. The Spider Valves are decent too, since it uses the DSP from the POD XT rather than the on in the other spiders) , has most of the features of the HD500 but minus the footswitch. Shouldnt be an issue if its only recording. The HD300 has good amp modelling, but like the G3 has effects limitations (3 at a time, and with limitations like compressor or boost or graphic eq only one at a time). The HD500 is probably the best overall if you can stretch to about 400-500. Has very flexible effects routing. Ie boost into fuzz into amp model? Chorus into flanger? Can be done. The Digitech RP500/1000/GSP1101 are also very good in the effects and amp modelling department, however they are pretty utilitarian- it lets you use the most effects (10 at a time including noise gate and amp sim) but lacks the far superior routability of the POD series.
The Boss ME series has good effects but so so amp modelling. The GT100 ive heard is a big improvement, but its pretty much out of your budget. Vox's Tonelabs are also good, but they dont have a built in interface.

EDIT: Have you tried mic ing it? IIRC the Vypyr has no mic/cabinet simulation. It only models the preamp. Also, recordings are always going to sound different from your in the room sound. With any pedal. Even an Axe Fx. Try playing around a bit more with the Vypyr, Ola miced up a Vypyr once, sounded pretty killer.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Feb 26, 2012,
Quote by Minimallamb
Try a Zoom G3, I don't have on but I've heard a lot of good things about them, its comes with decent software too. I've heard enough good things to make me want to buy the G5 that's coming out soon (:

Thanks Ill look into one! I also found a zoom G9.2tt that looks pretty cool
Quote by GS LEAD 5
What amp models have you tried? Tried boosting them?

More than a pedal, get an interface. Lots of great free amp sims to use. Sims like LePou and TSE sound great. A pedal like a POD or above posters suggestion of a G3 are godsends live.....switching between tones is really easy. But if its recording and only recording, IMO an interface and a good amp sim VST is a better bet.

If you absolutely must have a pedal, the G3 is quite good if you want only amp modelling. However, it has its drawbacks- you can only use 2 effects aside from the amp modelling itself. The POD Bean is a good bet (the PODS use a different DSP as compared to the Spiders. Spider=shit. Pod=good. The Spider Valves are decent too, since it uses the DSP from the POD XT rather than the on in the other spiders) , has most of the features of the HD500 but minus the footswitch. Shouldnt be an issue if its only recording. The HD300 has good amp modelling, but like the G3 has effects limitations (3 at a time, and with limitations like compressor or boost or graphic eq only one at a time). The HD500 is probably the best overall if you can stretch to about 400-500. Has very flexible effects routing. Ie boost into fuzz into amp model? Chorus into flanger? Can be done. The Digitech RP500/1000/GSP1101 are also very good in the effects and amp modelling department, however they are pretty utilitarian- it lets you use the most effects (10 at a time including noise gate and amp sim) but lacks the far superior routability of the POD series.
The Boss ME series has good effects but so so amp modelling. The GT100 ive heard is a big improvement, but its pretty much out of your budget. Vox's Tonelabs are also good, but they dont have a built in interface.

EDIT: Have you tried mic ing it? IIRC the Vypyr has no mic/cabinet simulation. It only models the preamp. Also, recordings are always going to sound different from your in the room sound. With any pedal. Even an Axe Fx. Try playing around a bit more with the Vypyr, Ola miced up a Vypyr once, sounded pretty killer.

Thanks for all the suggestions! And no, I haven't tried micing it yet but I think I will before I go spending a few hundred bucks on a new pedal. And if micing it doesn't get me the results I'm looking for Ill probably look into an interface. I took a quick look at LePou and it looked pretty awesome. Looks like a good way to save money and get a better tone. Thanks for all the help, you may have just saved me a pretty significant amount of $$