i know ive read time and time again people saying its not possible but i love the style of semi hollows and play metal so id like to hear some ideas.

i was hoping for a es-335 with a bigsby and not super high output pickups like emgs but something heavy and versatile that wouldnt cause a ton of feedback.

please i really need a solution here cuz i just love the semi hollow style so much and cant get into the shredder style of metal guitars out there.
Im pretty sure you will never find an actual semi hollowbody which can do metal, however you can get some guitars which look like that but can, for instance the new esp/ltd kirk hammett signature
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Acousticmirror's prs hollow body spruce with bk's.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Paul Gilbert's signature Ibanez guitars are good for metal, and have f-holes painted on...

I don't think real hollowbodies work.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
they tend not to work because they are so prone to feedback that they become uncontrollable.

also, most semi's tend not to have appropriate necks for metal. too chunky for me.

really though, if you're doing something only for appearances, you probably shouldn't do it. anyways, if somebody showed up to a death metal gig with a 335, I'd probably be tempted to turn and run
I play metal and use an Epiphone dot deluxe you have to be careful how you play or you get horrible feed back i wouldn't use it for leads i use it because im a rythem player in a southernn metal band
My gear:
Yamaha f335 acoustic
Ibanezs ex 270
2003 mim strat
peavey xxl head through Marshall cab
Tama rockstar drum kit
I've seen some guitarists using really heavy gain while using hollowbodies without any problems. Sounded br00tal as hell TBH.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Depending on your budget either an epiphone or a gibson 339 (not to be confused with 335) should do the trick, they look fairly similar to a 335 style, except with a slightly smaller body thats comparable with a les paul in terms of size, so this will help reduce feedback and I've long been a propagator of the idea that with a suitably distorted tone double humbucker guitars can sound as heavy as each other with only minor difference, I owned a 335 and never had a problem with its ability to sound heavy.
SMILE!
I use a semi-hollow Telecaster (which is about as hollow as most ES-style archtop guitars are; the only solid part is the center block, which doesn't even extend the full length of the guitar) for metal and post-grunge just fine. That said, I have that fully shielded and my amp, though ridiculously powerful, has a built in noise gate and compressor which allows me to very carefully alter response to avoid feedback. If I were to use a standard valve amp I'd probably be a little more careful with it, though I can't imagine it'd become a huge problem.

The problem with using hollows for metal is their treble response is naturally dulled and bass can get very muddy very easily. Considering for metal or metal-style tones you usually want cutting treble and precise bass, the natural tone of a hollow or semi-hollow guitar simply may not be suitable. Think carefully about what kind of tone it is you want.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ben Burnley from Breaking Benjamin uses a PRS hollowbody. They're not metal, but they are pretty Hard rock
Quote by its_alive
It's just like breaking up with a girl.
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Pretty sure hollow-bodies produce a lot of feedback with distortion, but hey tom delong uses them, you could try it.
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Depending on your budget either an epiphone or a gibson 339 (not to be confused with 335) should do the trick, they look fairly similar to a 335 style, except with a slightly smaller body thats comparable with a les paul in terms of size, so this will help reduce feedback and I've long been a propagator of the idea that with a suitably distorted tone double humbucker guitars can sound as heavy as each other with only minor difference, I owned a 335 and never had a problem with its ability to sound heavy.

is it possible to put a bigsby on one of those? ive always been curious cuz ive never seen one on a 339.
I'm also looking for a hollow body for metal.
and a ukulele for metal.
and a mandolin for metal.
maybe even a banjo for metal.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I recently toyed around with one of the Vox semi-hollow body guitars and was really impressed by the range it had. If I was in the market for another semi-hollow, that would be the one I bought. They have a really neat pickup and switching system.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by mike_oxbig
and a ukulele for metal.

a banjo for metal would be br00tal, I'd pay to see some guy at a concert play a banjo for metal

Quote by JakePlaysGuitar

Pretty sure hollow-bodies produce a lot of feedback with distortion, but hey Tom DeLonge uses them, you could try it.

this is the most helpful thing I've seen, in the world, actually just in this thread. +1 to you sir.

Anyway to answer your question, jake is right (if his name isn't jake then his user is inaccurate) Tom DeLonge uses them, through some sort of tube amp (or so i've heard) and with nothing else. No noise gate or anything. Playing through a SS amp would be smart, with a noise gate and an effects pedal. :3 this would be pretty much the crappiest rig ever, besides mine, of course. Since humbuckers cancel noise i'd use those, with chrome covers.
A semi-hollow can easily do metal, but for a lot of genres the sound may be overly resonant and loose. It can be done, though. You can create some unique sounds with it. I like to screw around with it occasionally.

Those who are saying that feedback is a major issue need to learn to play with less gain. When I run my dad's Epiphone Dot through my amp with the gain at 4 and level halfway-up (which is loud as shit), feedback is no more of a problem for me than it is with a solid body. Of course, this is with a cheapass Epiphone that has refrigerator magnets for pickups, so maybe half-decent semi-hollows would act differently?

Quote by mike_oxbig
and a ukulele for metal.
Banjo for metal you say? Ask Zakk Wylde: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moxgknum-j4
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Feb 26, 2012,
Semi-hollows and full hollows can easily do metal. My 50 year old Framus hollowbody doesn't feedback at all. The only problem is the neck is about four miles thick.
so much fail in this thread.

you can use a hollow or a semi for metal.

as long as your pickups are potted you can use as much gain as you want.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by BobbyFlamingo
is it possible to put a bigsby on one of those? ive always been curious cuz ive never seen one on a 339.

Never seen a stock on fitted but I know bigsby sell an aftermarket for 335 types not sure if it would go on a 339 though, but seriously a bigsby for metal? Why not get a floyd rose which I have seen on a 335 and isn't outdated?
SMILE!
Plenty of people use semi-hollows for metal.. I saw Sick Puppies last fall and all their singer used were ES-335's and he had great tone, no feedback. It's not too practical, but it's certainly not impossible.
-Epiphone Dot
-Schecter Omen 6
-Dean Markley Acoustic
-Vox Pathfinder 15R
-Vox Lil' Nightrain
-BOSS ME-70
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Never seen a stock on fitted but I know bigsby sell an aftermarket for 335 types not sure if it would go on a 339 though, but seriously a bigsby for metal? Why not get a floyd rose which I have seen on a 335 and isn't outdated?

lol bigsby would honestly be purely ascetic. im not sure about a floyd it would have to be a decision id make after i decided on guitar and pickups.
Quote by AcousticMirror
so much fail in this thread.

you can use a hollow or a semi for metal.

as long as your pickups are potted you can use as much gain as you want.

this.

but with the amount of stupid going on in here i doubt that's gonna sink in.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I remember seeing a video on Youtube of the guitar player from Daath(?) showing off his PRS Hollowbody for metal.
I pride myself on my humility.