Guys, I'm learning this song and the intro sounds to me like a 4/4 played at 130 bpm. However, all the guitar pro tabs in UG put it in 3/4 played at 100 bpm, which sounds very counter intuitive to me.
Are the tabs all wrong, or is it me?

This is the song.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Listen to the hi-hats when the drums kick in, and how they are accenting on every '1-2-3' beat
ledzeppelin7510 wrote:

come on guys, this could be great for Portnoy; remember when Neil Peart left Rush to join My Chemical Romance? Oh...wait...
Quote by Magnificoamar
Listen to the hi-hats when the drums kick in, and how they are accenting on every '1-2-3' beat

Thanks, didn't notice that, and it makes sense. However, later on the verses the drums sound like 4/4 to me, and on the live version the drum enters with a 4 beats signal. Does that matter anyhow?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8Uzh8pRavd0#t=41s

Damn them progressive songs.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

He counts in with a 4 count, because the time signature is in 3/4. 123, 123, 123, 123, would be a whole bar, there's still 4 whole beats in the bar.
ledzeppelin7510 wrote:

come on guys, this could be great for Portnoy; remember when Neil Peart left Rush to join My Chemical Romance? Oh...wait...
Ok, I read this and I don't get it either.
Quote by Magnificoamar
He counts in with a 4 count, because the time signature is in 3/4.

That sounds very counter-intuitive.

So let me get this straight, despite the fact the the band members and I automatically moved our heads to four quarter notes per measure and the factthat the snare is playing what feels like beats two and four, the song is in three four because that's what the high hats are playing. Because that doesn't sound right to me.

I mean just try tapping 3/4 over that song. It's a little difficult and it doesn't feel natural.

From what I understand, I'd say it's in 4/4 with sixth notes being played on the high hat.
6/8 in some parts and 4/4 in others.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Feb 27, 2012,
I'd say it's 12/8.

When the distorted guitar's come in there's that definite shuffle/triplet feel.

That makes it 4/4 with all triplets, but because there's a triplet feel through out it's more likely to be called 12/8.

It's not 3/4 There's a definite 4/4 pulse with a triplet pulse.

6/8 is an okay contender, but the riff repeats (1 measure) every 12 8th notes, and the drums do 4 counts if 4/4.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 27, 2012,
I'd say 6/8 or 12/8. There are a few bits that feel more like 3/4 though, and the outro is definitely 3/4. Switching between 6/8 and 3/4, or having bits that feel like somewhere in between the 2, is something Opeth do A LOT.

Quote by Magnificoamar
He counts in with a 4 count, because the time signature is in 3/4. 123, 123, 123, 123, would be a whole bar, there's still 4 whole beats in the bar.

what you just described is 12/8, not 3/4. learn2timesig
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Feb 27, 2012,
Analyzing it further. Today I asked my girlfriend, who happens to be a classical guitar major one exam away from graduating, and by hearing me playing it she said that it's a 3/4, but that she'd need to hear the other instruments to be able to develop it further.
Here it is how it can be played on 3/4 and on 4/4. The red dots represent a metronome click, and the blue dots represent what I find to be the arpeggio's accentuated notes:
I find it way easier to read on 3/4, but the arpeggio's accentuated notes and the metronome's clicks are way more related on a 4/4 context.

I'm still confused :/ .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||