Page 4 of 6
I practiced making my own Cabinet IRs today.

For shits and giggles, I present to you:
The Paper Jamz Cabinet Suite

Mic used: Samson R21S

Positions:
Close/Straight
Close/Angle
Close/Straight/Off Axis
Close/Angle/Off Axis
Far/Straight

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21663288/Music/Cabinet%20IRs/PaperJamzSuite.zip
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Last edited by Clay-man at Feb 9, 2013,
Quote by xkovacsx09
anything out there for pitch sifting?

ReaPitch is good.
Let's party.
Quote by lockwolf
So, I found this PDF after doing a bit of googling. A good read for any of us having problems with just getting amp sims to truly shine: http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1652.pdf

That and I just wanna remember it for later :p

I've clicked on the link, and can't actually get to the supposed file. any chance anyone could send it to me via email or something please? I'm most intrigued...

Cheers!
Can anyone explain to me how to get these plug-ins to work with my DAW? I use Cubase Artist 7 and downloaded the LePou Lecto. I use an iMac. The file is saved as a .dll whatever that is, and opens up as a text edit, so how do I actually get it to run through Cubase as a plug-in?
Quote by Lavatain
Can anyone explain to me how to get these plug-ins to work with my DAW? I use Cubase Artist 7 and downloaded the LePou Lecto. I use an iMac. The file is saved as a .dll whatever that is, and opens up as a text edit, so how do I actually get it to run through Cubase as a plug-in?

There's a folder that your DAW stores plugins in. To install them, you simply save them to that folder, rather than downloading and running an installer (for the ones listed, at least). Google (via Cubase's website) says this folder is: Hard disk // Users // Username // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Apr 26, 2013,
Quote by Cavalcade
There's a folder that your DAW stores plugins in. To install them, you simply save them to that folder, rather than downloading and running an installer (for the ones listed, at least). Google (via Cubase's website) says this folder is: Hard disk // Users // Username // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST.

Thing is, I can't find that folder. I have to do a search to get to Users, and from my username's folder, there's no library folder. A search gives me no results for simply searching "VST". I really don't know where to even find my other plug-ins, that I know are working, so I could then place the new plug-in.

[forbidden link]
[forbidden link]
[forbidden link]
Quote by wangll

[forbidden link]
[forbidden link]
[forbidden link]

if you got .dlls then you downloaded the windows version not the mac version, that's you're first problem.
Then there'll be a directory you need to put them in (Don't ask me I haven't the slightest clue, I use windows. Google is a good resource for that kinda stuff). Then you open Cubase, create a track and add LeCto as an effect. Don't forget to add LeCab (or some other impulse loader) and an impulse too or it's going to sound awfully fizzy.
Quote by chatterbox272
if you got .dlls then you downloaded the windows version not the mac version, that's you're first problem.
Then there'll be a directory you need to put them in (Don't ask me I haven't the slightest clue, I use windows. Google is a good resource for that kinda stuff). Then you open Cubase, create a track and add LeCto as an effect. Don't forget to add LeCab (or some other impulse loader) and an impulse too or it's going to sound awfully fizzy.

Ahem.
Quote by Lavatain

Reported.
^ wut?

Why?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I think he's talking about downloading Lecto... not Cubase.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Do I really have to spell it out? An adbot copied his post and added some links, and I reported that instead of the original.
I see it now.

I was focusing on the quotes you posted.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
AdBots have gotten more creative over time. I remember one that quoted me flaming someone and I thought it was real once. Stupid AdBots
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by wangll

[forbidden link]
[forbidden link]
[forbidden link]

BAN HAMMAHHHH!!!

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by lockwolf
AdBots have gotten more creative over time. I remember one that quoted me flaming someone and I thought it was real once. Stupid AdBots

Nah, they've been doing this for a while. It's simple, but surprisingly effective when they pick a good quote. If they put more effort into good quote-picking algorithms, it might be tricky to pick them out in the flow of a typical forum.
Of course, they still suck at picking names that aren't a red flag (pun not intended), and they're impatient enough that they all register the same day they go into action.
There are tonnes around online, mainly on ultimate metal. Just google Bass Cab Impulses.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
One of the most useful and informative threads that I've seen on UG.

I use a Scarlett 2i2 and Reaper. Some of these VSTs are really quite amazing. It's ironic really that they're freeware, yet they're far superior to the likes of Guitar Rig and Amplitube.

It also begs to wonder if it's worth spending a fortune of tube amps for recording. For instance, the VST that emulates the ENGL E530 (TSE X30 something) sounds very close to the actual unit (at least, to my ears).
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
It also begs to wonder if it's worth spending a fortune of tube amps for recording. For instance, the VST that emulates the ENGL E530 (TSE X30 something) sounds very close to the actual unit (at least, to my ears).

Honestly, I don't think a digital virtual amp will ever be better than a nice full stack mic'd up into a good pre (or at least in the next 5 years). But, in the home studio where some of us live where we can't crank a tube amp, its amazing. I personally don't have the budget to buy all the amps I'd like for recording but if I had to choose between micing an ENGL and using a sim, I'd go with micing an ENGL.

Digital Amp Modeling has progressed a lot in the past 5 years since I started recording. I don't think its a replacement for a tube amp if ones available but its gotten better to the point where it even fools studio engineers. There was an article on Sound On Sound (I believe) where they took several popular amps and a few amp sims of them and compared them. None of them could tell which was the real amp and preferred the amp sims in some situations.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Honestly, I don't think a digital virtual amp will ever be better than a nice full stack mic'd up into a good pre (or at least in the next 5 years). But, in the home studio where some of us live where we can't crank a tube amp, its amazing. I personally don't have the budget to buy all the amps I'd like for recording but if I had to choose between micing an ENGL and using a sim, I'd go with micing an ENGL.

Digital Amp Modeling has progressed a lot in the past 5 years since I started recording. I don't think its a replacement for a tube amp if ones available but its gotten better to the point where it even fools studio engineers. There was an article on Sound On Sound (I believe) where they took several popular amps and a few amp sims of them and compared them. None of them could tell which was the real amp and preferred the amp sims in some situations.

To my ears, at room / recording volumes high-end digital processors, as well as a lot of VSTs, actually sound better than their analog counterparts. Stage volume is another story. Then again, I rarely get the chance to play very loudly, so to me it's largely irrelevant.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
In the end i always get back to line6 Gear Box (or podfarm for that matter). The thing is in final mix they sound best as compared to other amp simulations mentioned here. Magix Vandal was a real surprise when i tried it first-it is small,neat and sounds powerfull.
Here is what Line6 sim can do (with acoustics too. I'll admit it takes some more tweaking to get right bass sound though):

http://youtu.be/6J9f-7qmLA0
This is a really cool thread, can't wait until I can get through the stuff listed here.
I'm eye-balling Guitar Rig 5. I have REAPER and a Scarlett 2i4 interface.

Those who have GR5, are you happy with it? Does it sound good with REAPER? Is it easy to use?

I use the demo version of GR5 and it sounds great with only the one amp. I just want to be sure before I throw down $200.
Is an impulse loader just an impulse loader? Or is there different one for guitar/bass?
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
Quote by Billwallace89
Is an impulse loader just an impulse loader? Or is there different one for guitar/bass?

The loader works the same. No matter the input signal, its basic function is to do this in real time. The IRs themselves, on the other hand, will probably be different.
Mind adding this?

GrindMachine, The most agressive guitar amplifier to date!

GrindMachine includes 10 ultra realistic, ultra high gain amplifiers and 20 Dynamically modeled speaker cabinets.

No pedals or other boosters needed, no post processing just plug GrindMachine into your FX Slot and enjoy pure high gain tones that easily fit into any mix.

GrindMachine can also load your favourite speaker cabinet impulses but trust us, you'll find keep going back to the dynamic cabs.

You can hear how it fits in a mix here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckwI7b6wZ3I

You can download the FREE version here to test it with your setup! (Includes 1 german amp and 3 cabinets)
http://audioassault.bigcartel.com/product/grindmachine
Get all 11 amps and 20 Cabinets for only $29.99!

Hello.
It's been a while since I've purchased "Vir2 Electri6ity" and went through learning it for 2 weeks.
Much to my frustrations,This VST only looks prime for keyboard playing (relies on you to master the keyboard for months!)

Now I'm actually looking for a VST which could take the exported midi (of guitar pro) and process and implant the real guitar tones on it.
There's shreddage which does an okay job.

But honestly you're better of just actually playing the guitar and recording it.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire

But honestly you're better of just actually playing the guitar and recording it.

Even if the quality and the "sound range" of the guitar is so poor? (a beat up guitar).
Yup.

Unless it is literally falling apart and barely plays at all.

In that case you probably want to buy a new guitar anyway.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yup.

You mean That there is NO difference between a $1000 Les paul guitar and an $200 Ibanez in sounding ??!!
That isn't what I said.

Quote by DisarmGoliath