Page 5 of 6
It is, but it doesn't really have anything to do with what is being discussed here: software amp sims.
Software only amp sims.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for the info! I'm just starting out and threads like these really help me sift out all the information out there. Think I'll try one of the british style free amps, seems to suit my style.
Hi, I'm looking for ''the best'' Amp simulator, preferrably with effects. Price doesn't matter. I use an M-audio M-track interface.

What do you guys recommend me to check?
There is no best, personally if you wanted an all inclusive bundle I'd say Rockrack or Vandal
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The best ones I can think of aren't really all inclusive - the softube amp rooms, bx_rockrack and LePou's stuff.

PodFarm, Revalver and Overloud have effects, but I've never really liked them much.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Update:

-Added bx_rockrack to the main post

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Mercuriall's JCM800 Hot Pre Amp sim and the Messiah cabs are now my go to amp sims. Honestly one of the best Amp sims I've heard.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Positive Grid's BIAS Desktop needs to be added, too! It's one of the best ones out there in my opinion, it REALLY rocks!
Has anyone managed to find a Budda Perceptor amp simulation? The one that Skolnick uses, I really like his tone atm ^^
^ please use the proper section for posting original recordings.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
umm i think this should be added

http://requietus.blogspot.in/2008/11/cortex-stack.html

oh and TSE have a new site up , with a commercial release of the X50 , which is now a full suite with pedals , rack fx , IR loader etc. .. although the older version is available at the link provided on first post , i think the new stuff should be added as well

http://www.tseaudio.com/software/x50v2
Last edited by NRG_sama_ at Feb 15, 2015,
Okay, I dont get it, which one of these I can use for free, and get a decent amp simulator without complexity?
Quote by rockzede
which one of these I can use for free
The ones between the "Free amp sims" and the "Retail amp sims" titles in big, black, bold font in the first post.
Quote by rockzede
and get a decent amp simulator without complexity?
You want free?
You have to learn stuff then, nothing sounds good and it's easy to use.

As with everything, you don't become an amazing producer/mixer/engineer overnight.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
The ones between the "Free amp sims" and the "Retail amp sims" titles in big, black, bold font in the first post.

Thanks captain obvious, I wanted an explanation about those amp sims, those terms next to them were not familiar to me.
^ then you might have asked what you wanted to know instead of something else

The stuff written near the free ones means the amp sims are similar to particular amps - ENGL, SLO, 5150...

If you want more info on specific terms read the introduction to recording sticky and ask about the particular terms here if they aren't in the sticky.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ then you might have asked what you wanted to know instead of something else

The stuff written near the free ones means the amp sims are similar to particular amps - ENGL, SLO, 5150...

If you want more info on specific terms read the introduction to recording sticky and ask about the particular terms here if they aren't in the sticky.

thanks for the reply I have another thread on this topic I am trying to figure out how to use these amp simulators I am stuck
Anyone have good recommendations for the best simulated amp for acoustic electric? Also a good guide for working with them. I've been eyeing Guitar Rig 5 but I'm holding off until I've learned a little more about simulated amps.
Last edited by lilsassy at Oct 13, 2015,
So, among all this discussion of Amp Sims, how does the Eleven Rack by avid stack up against Sims like Guitar Rig, Amplitude, and other software sims. I know Eleven Rack is not 100% software, but it is very reliant on it. I am looking at purchasing one mainly for recording and performing Bass guitar, and occasionally electric. Any thoughts?
Eleven Rack sounds good, but it's a dead product. There's no software support anymore. So buy at own risk I guess, I'm not sure how extensive the problems are. But they'll get worse in the future because the 11R doesn't get updated anymore.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
11R have few nice sounds, but quite many plugins are much better anyway.
Though I still use 11R as main interface as it provides live monitoring and have outputs for DAW to both clean and amp sound (which I replace later with clean + plugins).
Quote by Kevätuhri
Eleven Rack sounds good, but it's a dead product. There's no software support anymore. So buy at own risk I guess, I'm not sure how extensive the problems are. But they'll get worse in the future because the 11R doesn't get updated anymore.

Wait, why would avid abandon a product like that? I take it that means they are not coming out with a new version or anything else? That seems kind of odd for them.
I've been tracking my band with Emissary.

It's damn good.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
So I played the demo for Revalver 4 today, didn't even know it was out! It's been out for over a year apparently.

It was so good I had to pick it up right away, jesus it's amazing. Not sure why things like BIAS get so much hype when this exists!

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I've been using the LePou LeGion for a long time now, and recently I haven't been able to get any better of a tone out of it.

I was thinking I would get an Axe FX 2 but then I started seeing Bias FX reviews all over YouTube. It seems to sound almost just as good as the Axe FX while costing 10x less.

Does anyone have experience with either and knows if the Axe FX is worth it or not?
It's perfectly possible to get a good tone out of Legion, without trying to sound too condescending it may be how you're using it.

However as for BIASFX I think it's over-hyped and not nearly as good as it's competitors.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
It's perfectly possible to get a good tone out of Legion, without trying to sound too condescending it may be how you're using it.

However as for BIASFX I think it's over-hyped and not nearly as good as it's competitors.

This is my most recent recording. To me it sounds too thin and fizzy. Any ideas on how I could make it better? The impulse is a free one, I think Guitar Hack. I've tried a ton of different ones but can't get rid of the thin fizzy sound.
There's no link dude?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Hi guys , I've been doing the home recording thing for a while now , I am using the pod farm software that came with my interface . I'm pretty much done with the high gain sounds I can get with it they are just not doing it for me . My basic question is , I've downloaded some of the lepou (sp?) amp sims , but how the hell do you use these things ? Do I have to download a impulse response and load them into that ? I'm not computer savvy . Just looking for some general info on this as I cannot get them working after downloading . I am using the mixpad DAW.

Thanks in advance
Okay , so I've got everything up and running in reaper , have the head vsts working . My next question is , when I bring the ignite response loader up , the one where you have the two cabs side by side . There is a little file icon you press to open and load the file into the cabs but the .dll files don't work in it ? It's needs .wav files . So how does that work ? What do I have to download to be able to use a amp I'm that program ? Sorry guys I'm a complete noob, but I'm so close !
Last edited by Savageopiate at May 29, 2016,
Alright so I got Bias FX. Every stock patch sounds muffled/like it's coming from behind a wall, and I only got one of my custom tones to sound reasonably clear and present after cranking up most of the treble settings. (They do sound good other than this problem)

All the demos I've heard on YouTube sound great, but even if I download their exact setup from the tone cloud it still sounds very muffled compared to what I hear from the videos. It's a clear difference so I don't think it's a matter of being in a full mix or not.

I remember having the same problem with the free sims and the Legion was one of the only ones that didn't sound like it was covered by a blanket.

Could this be caused by a problem with my pickups (EMG 81-7 and 707) or my interface (Scarlett 2i4)? Or something else I'm not aware of?
Bias did a very good job of making their software seem very good, while in reality it's nothing special.

If you haven't already, flip the switch on your interface from line to instrument.
It matters a lot is a single sound is in a full mix, yes.
Your monitoring chain may also be part of the problem - your speakers/headphones might sound pretty dark.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm with Spambot on this. BIAS has a great marketing department, made the shrewd move of sending their software to Youtubers for free to get the hype going. I tried it out and it has a weird habit of sounding both muddy as a swamp and as piercing as a lobotomy at the same time. When I was looking at a new retail amp sim I spent a long time A/Bing BIAS against other options and it always came out worst.

Went with Revalver 4 in the end. Very powerful amp sim.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I'm back, with a full mix using Bias FX. The muffled sound problem I had above turned out to be a relatively easy fix by just using one of the EQ effects built in to the plugin.

Here's the song I made using Bias FX:
https://soundcloud.com/leealacoque/song-6

Signal chain inside Bias FX was an overdrive pedal, the amp that's supposed to be a 5150, and an EQ. Most of the post processing was high and low pass filtering which made a very subtle difference. The rest was some reverb (which you can do inside Bias FX if you want anyway).

Compared to my last song using the best tone I could squeeze out of free amp sims in 3 years with a ton of EQ post processing:
https://soundcloud.com/leealacoque/song-7

Bias FX sounds much better in my opinion. Plus it was way easier to sound that much better.