View poll results: unplugged?
Most the time
20 30%
50/50
22 33%
rarely
25 37%
Voters: 67.
Anyone else typically play their electric unplugged? 90% of the time I play I am pretty much unplugged and wandering about my place doing other things like watching tv, homework, etc. Sometimes, when doing some heavy thinking, I pace back and forth strapped up and strumming out simple things.

Anyone else turn nomadic when they play?
My guitar sounds amazing unplugged, so i often do.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I do a lot, my parents' bedroom is right above where my amp is and I get my best rushes of creativity at night so I don't plug in as often as I'd like.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
When I have the urge to play electric, I'll occasionally take one of my electrics down and sit on the couch with my wife, as she watches TV. It's a little easier to hear the TV over an unplugged electric, than it is to hear an acoustic, which is what I normally prefer to play.
I almost always play unplugged, unless I want to see what something sounds like on the amp.
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
Did it 5 minutes ago and came up with a pretty cool riff.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
My amp sucks so that's a yes.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
When I first start working on something I will pay unplugged but once I start figuring things out I plug in.
In my opinion, practicing unplugged makes you a better guitar player because you don't have distortion or compression of an amplifier to correct your mistakes, and it forces you to pick harder to hear yourself instead of letting the amp do the work.
If I want to play quietly I tend to use my acoustic so an unplugged electric is not that useful to me, John Frusciante write alot on unplugged electric I read somewhere
SMILE!
Quote by Ian_the_fox
In my opinion, practicing unplugged makes you a better guitar player because you don't have distortion or compression of an amplifier to correct your mistakes, and it forces you to pick harder to hear yourself instead of letting the amp do the work.

I believe quite the opposite. An electric guitar is made to be played through an amplifier and how you sound when you play unplugged is completely irrelevant. You won't hear the noise you're making while you're playing unplugged, and players who practices that way may have some trouble muting out string noise that becomes noticeable when amplified.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
The majority of my home practise is unplugged and when I'm setting up/repairing/modding a guitar I test it mostly unplugged, only plugging in briefly to make sure the electronics are working as they should. You can tell an awful lot about a guitar from its unplugged tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I miss the "never" option. I haven't really played my electric guitar unplugged, ever. Maybe some noodling when I'm waiting until the tubes are hot, but nothing more. Electric guitars are meant to be amplified and I don't play them without doing so, as I don't see the point. :P
Quote by HomerSGR
I believe quite the opposite. An electric guitar is made to be played through an amplifier and how you sound when you play unplugged is completely irrelevant. You won't hear the noise you're making while you're playing unplugged, and players who practices that way may have some trouble muting out string noise that becomes noticeable when amplified.

+1.

Also, unless you have a really crappy amp, your mistakes will be amplified - making them that much more obvious, and bad sounding. I use EMG's and I pretty much sound like shit if I don't play stuff perfectly.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by fuzzpedal
Nope, if I'm not plugged in I'm playing an acoustic.

This for the most part.
I am a fake mountain.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

+1

If you can get fast alt picking/legato runs to sound good on an unplugged electric or acoustic it will sound great when plugged in. Of course you have to pay attention to muting but that applies both when plugged/unplugged.
i like to noodle while i'm watching TV so yeah i play a great deal unplugged.
I only ever play unplugged these days. I share my house with 3 other people and I don't want to disturb them with my shitty guitar playing.

All headphone amps that I've tried sound awful. I'd rather play unplugged with no "tone" than play through an unpleasant sounding amp. I can still hear it clearly when its unplugged.
All I have to do is swing around in my chair and grab 'ye ol' strat copy and do a bit of jamming.
Practicing pinched harmonics unplugged
Most of the time I'm just too damned lazy to plug into my amp; I'm much more content with using it as a footrest right now
Quote by sashki
I only ever play unplugged these days. I share my house with 3 other people and I don't want to disturb them with my shitty guitar playing.

All headphone amps that I've tried sound awful. I'd rather play unplugged with no "tone" than play through an unpleasant sounding amp. I can still hear it clearly when its unplugged.

Gonna go with this. xD I do play plugged in a fair bit but my playing is terrible and it depresses me and I don't want to spread my failure. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by MrFlibble
The majority of my home practise is unplugged and when I'm setting up/repairing/modding a guitar I test it mostly unplugged, only plugging in briefly to make sure the electronics are working as they should. You can tell an awful lot about a guitar from its unplugged tone.

+1.. If a guitar plays well unplugged..It will probably be awesome with an amp...
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107