Hay, UG. I'll explain my situation:

I own an Ibanez GRX20 (Gio Series) which I bought on Dec, 2007. Since then, my guitar hasn't given me much trouble because I only played guitar in my room at home.
I started a band two years ago, and on the first year my guitar fell off my bed and the wood cracked starting from the lower part of the bridge to the back cavity, I took it to a guitar technician and he glued it together and stuff (I'm not sure he did a good job).

Since then, I've been having some trouble with my tuning. In between songs, my guitar loses its tuning and it's giving me lots of trouble since I don't have a tuner on stage (I tune at the beggining of the set).

I suppose the best solution is to upgrade my guitar, but guitars are really expensive in the country I live in, and I don't have much money to spend. I think the second best solution is to buy sperzel locking tuners (they're the only ones I've seen available in my country), but I'm not sure whether it will solve my problems momentarily or not. What do you think I should do?

Edit:
If you need to know where will I get the money to buy locking tuners, we earned some money from a gig we did yesterday and we'll spend part of it buying the tuners and we'll use the rest to record.
Last edited by Andrusho at Feb 26, 2012,
Locking tuners don't lock your tuning they only lock the string. If you wrap your strings right they'll lock themselves. You may need new tuners but you probably don't need to spend the extra money on locking ones.

How often do you change your strings? And when you tune are you sure to tune up to pitch and not down to pitch?
yeah, thats right, locking tuners aren't all that much better really... I have them on one guitar (fixed bridge) and normal ones on the other, they are both just as stable. locking tuners are just quicker to change stings for me....
---
I don't change them very often, whenever a string breaks, I change the whole set. What do you mean with tuning up to pitch? You mean tuning from a low note to the right note?
So, locking tuners aren't as good as they sound. What do you think I should do, then? Get some good non-locking tuners?
Here's a good way to string- http://www.theorylessons.com/basics003stringing.php

Yes, by tuning up to pitch I mean that even if your string is sharp you make it flat and then tighten it back up to the right note. It helps ensure that you have proper tension at the nut. Which brings me to my next point, is the nut set up for the gauge of strings you're using?
Strings on a regularly played instrument should be changed very often. I understand being on a budget and stuff but at least go once a month.
Try all of this before you invest in new parts. A good set up makes a big difference.
Well, in that case I don't do it all the time. If a string is sharper than the right pitch, I tune down to pitch. And no, my nut isn't set up for my gauge. The guitar came with 9s and I switched to 10s, but I didn't set it up for 10s.
Last edited by Andrusho at Feb 26, 2012,
Block the trem, install some good tuners, and put some graphite *pencil lead* on the nut slots. Tuning should be stable after all that as long as nothing is seriously wrong with your guitar. But it would be a good idea to look into trying to upgrade some time soon. What country are you in?

Quote by Andrusho
Well, in that case I don't do it all the time. If a string is sharper than the right pitch, I tune down to pitch. And no, my nut isn't set up for my gauge. The guitar came with 9s and I switched to 10s, but I didn't set it up for 10s.

Don't ever tune down to pitch, this can cause tuning stability issues and 9's to 10's is nothing really so I am sure the nut slot width is not causing any problems.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Feb 26, 2012,
If there is a structural problem with the guitar, I don't see how locking tuners will help with tuning stability. If it was poorly repaired, it won't hold tuning or intonate properly.

Structural issues aside, for tuning stability I would start with upgrading the nut. A Graph Tech nut can make a dramatic difference in this respect. Next, as previously suggested, I would block the tremolo. Finally, restring the guitar as shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5i2wkXaoY
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Well, I think blocking the trem isn't a bad idea. I don't use it anyways. I'm about to restring my guitar. I'll put some graphite and research on how to lock the trem.
I live in Venezuela, the brands available here as far as I know are Ibanez RGs, Washburns (I don't know anything about them), some mid range Schecters, Squiers, Agiles, Epiphones...

Thanks for the help, man.
@Mad Marius: I'll see if I can get a graph tech nut, along with the previous suggestions. What i'm really afraid of, is that the real problem happens to be the quality of the work of the guitar tech. In that case, I suppose the solution is to buy another guitar and use my current as a backup. Thanks for the suggestions.
You could just take it to a different tech and have him make sure the repair was done well, and do a set up for you. Cheaper than a new guitar, by a lot.