UG, I am a long time observer of the forum and website, and normally seeing all these threads asking 'what gear should I get' irritates me a little. Until, of course, I have the same problem :P I vowed never to do it, but it is driving me mad!

So here's the thing... I am a poor, lowly student, but in a few months I will be coming into some nice money, to the tune of £1,300 (this is an absolute limit)! I own a few guitars, but none that are really really nice (BC Rich Space Face Ironbird, Jackson JS30RR w/Dimebucker). I don't have an amp with me (going into Logic, then POD Farm/Waves GTR), for a number of reasons:
1) no room in halls for it
2) no room in the car when i travelled up here
3) it sounds awful (Peavey starter kit amp),
So I will be needing one of them big ones :P
As you have probably guessed, I play mainly metal. Scrap that, at the moment, I only play metal. Thrash metal, to be exact. It is my first love for guitar music (I also play flute though, so I am into a bit of Bach as well as SLAYARGH!) Anyway...

So I will have this money, and there are three things I am really struggling to decide on. The old(ish) Randall RH150G3+, one of my favourite amps ever. Played one in my local guitar shop when I was but a youngster and fell in love with it. They are getting pretty hard to find now, but I found one the other day for £406. Thats thing No. 1.
Thing No. 2 is another amp. To be more exact, the Orange Dark Terror. I have heard many great things about, and from this amp, and it is small enough so as not to be ridiculous (isn't that part of amp ownership though? :P). Most places I have seen it it is going for £379, so only a little cheaper than the Randall...
Third and final bit of gear, is a guitar. I'm pretty happy with mine atm, but just want something a bit 'better'. Really like the look of the Jackson DK2M. It is pleasingly retro, has a Floyd Rose, nice pickups, maple neck etc. It is one sexy guitar. And I'm a big fan of Jackson necks. Sadly, Jackson no longer make these, so again, tracking one down is getting a bit tricky. I have found them somewhere at £560, which is A LOT more than either of the amps, but I think worth it.

On top of this, I will be getting an Orange PPC112, and a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb for my BC Rich, which brings the cost up by another £305.

So, as you can see, I'm a bit stuck any information on the gear mentioned, more places that sell the bits going extinct, commend/criticise me on my fine/awful taste in equipment, or general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
janthemetal
Hmmm so you have £1200 for a completely new metal rig?

I shall have a bit of a think for you buddy and get you a list.......

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Hmmm so you have £1200 for a completely new metal rig?

I shall have a bit of a think for you buddy and get you a list.......

If you don't help him I shall kill you..... He's my uni metal buddy
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
then tell him i'm a guy to be trusted

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
then tell him i'm a guy to be trusted

I already have
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.

well TS a few questions...

1. Are you going to use your PC alot for practice/recording/quiet playing?
2. Would you be happy with only 1 new amp and a much nicer cab?
3. Does your new guitar have to be a DK2M? I reckon there are better/nicer things out there.
4. Are you looking to buy new?
5. Would you be up for buying off me?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Wow, many fast replies! thanks to both of you to answer your questions Tom 1.0, I'm only really using my computer atm because I have no other choice. If I had the gear, and I fancied recording something, ideally, I'd mic it up. So I suppose yes and no :P No for practice, and yes for recording, when its mic'ed up.
2) I would like to own both amps in time, so yes, I could sacrifice one, which means I can then afford the guitar you can see where this is going...
3) On this, I am pretty stubborn. I have been in love with this guitar ever since I set eyes on it, and I have been looking at others, but nothing has grabbed me like the Jackson. I lie, apart from old Charvels...
4) Not necessarily new, but I would like this stuff to last me ages. The plan is, once I get this stuff, that will be my metal rig maxed out (I know, I know...), and I would start focusing on other styles of playing, therefore 'need' new gear... Although, like I said, it is the 'plan'...
5) Depends on what you have available shredftw trusts you, and I trust his judgement on these matters, so I don't see why not.

Thanks once again!
I have anything you want in theory mate i work for the largest chain of music shops in the UK.

Ok I only asked 1 as I was going to recommend some decent monitors for use with POD Farm or whatever but now I know thats not needed that frees up some cash.

I can find you a DK2M, even if I have to scour the world for you I can also sort you out a great deal on the Dark Terror and an Orange 410 ( we have a load in on a deal and they work out cheaper than a 212... ) the randall is hard, but should be do able... I should be able to do you the guitar new, orange and cab new and maybe even the randall as NOS

pm me your number/email address and I will get a list written up with costs etc etc sent over to you ASAP

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
try to get up to the neck-thru jacksons

failing that get a charvel pro mod

both have better trems than teh dk2m

that's talking ~£600 for the guitar

I'd probably spend something similar on the amp (upgrade the BC rich later, odds are the amp will be with you a while, no point in cheaping out on it).

off the top of my head, laney gh50L, a cheap od as a boost (e.g. joyo or dano transparent od) and a cheap (but good) 2x12. EDIT: fup i'm not seeing any deals on those laneys any more maybe scratch that suggestion. which is a shame as it's killer for what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm fine on the monitor front (Genelecs). With regard to the Orange PPC410, it has V30s in right? or did i dream that...

PM sent too
i think it has the 10" version of v30s

though i've heard from someone on another forum that they don't sound terribly good. haven't tried them myself.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
try to get up to the neck-thru jacksons

failing that get a charvel pro mod

both have better trems than teh dk2m

that's talking ~£600 for the guitar

I'd probably spend something similar on the amp (upgrade the BC rich later, odds are the amp will be with you a while, no point in cheaping out on it).

off the top of my head, laney gh50L, a cheap od as a boost (e.g. joyo or dano transparent od) and a cheap (but good) 2x12. EDIT: fup i'm not seeing any deals on those laneys any more maybe scratch that suggestion. which is a shame as it's killer for what you want.

laney is sill expensive now

the 410s are good fun, nice and projective with more lw end than the 212s, for metal great, other stuff... mediocre... but when they are cheaper than a 212? I would have one :Shrug:

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Dave_Mc

I hadn't even thought of neck-thru actually :O that would be a big plus. with regard to laneys, the few I have played I didn't enjoy too much. I will be visiting a Digital Village at some point soon, so will give them another go then. Likewise with the Orange 4x10

Cheers
Just a quick heads up fella, if you find a DK2 with a messed up floyd for dead cheap, get it and swap that sucka out for an OFR. It's a straight swap, and the stock trem isn't anything to hoot and holla about anyway. They can also take an absolute beating so don't worry about dings either
Quote by Tom 1.0
laney is sill expensive now

the 410s are good fun, nice and projective with more lw end than the 212s, for metal great, other stuff... mediocre... but when they are cheaper than a 212? I would have one :Shrug:

ah ok

i haven't actually tried it. I was just going by teh 10" speakers I've tried, which was probably a bad idea (my copperhead is nothing like a v30, lol).

and yeah the laney prices have got ridiculous

Quote by janthemetal
Dave_Mc

I hadn't even thought of neck-thru actually :O that would be a big plus. with regard to laneys, the few I have played I didn't enjoy too much. I will be visiting a Digital Village at some point soon, so will give them another go then. Likewise with the Orange 4x10

Cheers

no worries

as tom says they're very expensive now anyway

just to clarify, when i say "neck-thru", i mean the japanese-made ones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, its a shame

yeah the 410 V30s are pretty good, tres scooped. but with a marshally style amp its not too awful.

i can think of a few soloists floating around,

i will have a look at work tomorrow

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Aleene,

Thanks for that tip. I was actually thinking about upgrading it eventually anyway to an OFR with Graph Tech String Saver Saddles. The way you suggest saves me a fair bit

Dave_Mc,

If the Laney amps have gotten expensive, its ok for me I guess :P although frustrating for Laney fans... Japanese Jacksons you say? I will have a look on the 'Bay for some. If they are as pretty/striking as some of the 80s Japanese Charvels, then I will be pleased I think
^^

^ yeah i mean ones like the sl3, slsmg, ke5fr and kv5fr. you probably want to look at the newer ones, though, as the older ones had worse trems.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well (a) that's in the US so it's not much use considering he's in the UK and (b) it's not as good as the stuff we're suggesting

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults