So my PRS Guitar is going out of tune really fast, but JUST the low E, not the other strings.
After not playing for two hours the low E went down to D Sharp, this happens nearly every time I play my guitar. Should I try changing my strings? (I know how, by the way). The thing is I can't do it till Tuesday.
What should I do?

Thanks.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
When was the last time you changed your strings? And it may be that the tuner for that string needs to be replaced. Invest in some locking tuners.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
When was the last time you changed your strings? And it may be that the tuner for that string needs to be replaced. Invest in some locking tuners.

Don't do this yet.

Have the strings fully stretched? Even old strings may not be stretched enough. Give the string a few hard yanks away from the fingerboard. If the guitar detunes, that could be why its not staying in tune. I would also check that the nut slots are cut properly. IE they're wide enough to accommodate the string. A bit of lube in the slot can help too.

Have you also restrung the guitar properly using the locking method? It works awesome. Ever since i used that method, i have managed to keep my guitar in tune for days at a time (provided that there's nothing wrong with anything else)

If all this fails, then have a look at your tuners.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Have you also restrung the guitar properly using the locking method? It works awesome. Ever since i used that method, i have managed to keep my guitar in tune for days at a time (provided that there's nothing wrong with anything else)

What is this locking method you speak of?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
What is this locking method you speak of?

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Remember to always stretch your strings when you put them on. Tug on it a couple times, then tune up, and repeat until it doesn't fall out of tune. Makes a huge difference.
The strings haven't been change since sometime in early December, do you guys thinks that what it is?

Digitech Bad Monkey

Could be. Get a new set of strings.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
This probably isn't the answer, but just a thought: if the pickups are very close to the strings, their magnetic field could be pulling the string out of tune. This can happen to all of the strings but it usually effects the 6th string the most. It's rare and your pickups do have to be ridiculously close to the strings (and ridiculously powerful) for it to happen, but it might be worth looking at. It's not like adjusting pickup height is hard or takes long.

That said it most likely is that the guitar wasn't restrung properly and/or the string is knackered.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I had bought a PRS SE 245 that did the same thing. I couldn't play a song without the low e going out of tune. I took it back to get checked out and turned out that the hole in the headstock was drilled to big for the tuning machine and allowed for all kinds of play which made the tuning go out on low e constantly. I returned the guitar to guitar center.
I didn't go up a gauge, I've been using 9.5 strings for a while. The strings were installed properly. And the pickups arent to close. Tomorrow I'll change the strings, and tell you guys if it's still happening.
Do you think it might be the weather that's causing it?

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

TBH, I'm really really against this kind of restringing.
From my personal experience it doesn't add any more tuning stability but even reduces the stability due to the knots on the pegs opening and closing with increasing and decreasing tension while tuning.
Also heard that from some very experienced guitar techs.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
From my personal experience it doesn't add any more tuning stability but even reduces the stability due to the knots on the pegs opening and closing with increasing and decreasing tension while tuning.

The way that is remedied is by yanking the end of the string tight with a pair of pliers before clipping them. That way, the string doesn't move inside the peg when you're detuning.

I have done this stringing method before and it does help.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The way that is remedied is by yanking the end of the string tight with a pair of pliers before clipping them. That way, the string doesn't move inside the peg when you're detuning

Still, restringing it the "normal" way never caused any tuning stability issues with my guitar, it looks better and is less hassle to restring and to take off the strings later on.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I've tried it on a guitar that had a lot of problems with tuning before i did this method, after doing it, the tuning stability improved.

It works for me.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
^ that's how i've done it for a long time.

i never have tuning issues.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Right on, Greg.
and the last part of the picture is very important. Make sure that you wind the string under each loop, NEVER over lap it. You should have enough strings to wind until the beginning of the base starts.
I'd check the snuggness of the tuner nuts that clamp the tuners down to the headstock as well.
I don't use the locking method myself either, too much of a hassle (especially on wound strings) and neatly stacked strings need less stretching. (Mainly because you're not really stretching the strings but seating the windings on the post and removing slack from them).
I'd also describe the "stretching" (really seating!) as gently but firmly pulling back and slightly up on the string. I use my finger to keep the string lowered and the rest to pull back on the string.
SO as mentioned, neatly wound strings with enough windings, good nut slots, lubed for friction, and well mounted tuners solve most tuning issues.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
(Mainly because you're not really stretching the strings but seating the windings on the post and removing slack from them).

If that's true, then how come locking tuners and locking nuts still need stretching?

I've got 3 Floyd Rose-style guitars, 1 Strat with Fender/Schaller locking tuners, 1 with standard tuners, and 1 with the vintage (slotted) tuners. About 3 years ago I came across the locking method and haven't turned back.

I used to do the windings but after I got the Fender/Schaller locking tuners and read Fender's instructions (not easy to find), I found that you don't do windings for those. Well, there's no reason to do windings for the the locking method, either, particularly if the tuners are staggered.

I don't have to tune the Foyds between string changes at all. And the others just take a quick snap on the trem to come back into tune if they get out of whack from some whammy use, or from travel.

Graphite grease (not pencil lead) in the nut slots, under the tees, and in the saddles helps, too.
Quote by JesusCrisp

I find the culprit to be the winding around the post causing slack. That method eliminates the slack, and if done right, acts as a locking tuner.

BUT, I don't believe it's necessary if a tremolo is not being used, as the slack doesn't become an issue really, Bends don't affect it either since adding tension to the string will not create slack. I wind all guitars normally, unless they have a non-locking tremolo, then I use the aforementioned method.
"Locking method"? I thought you meant locking tuners like on the proper PRS models.
Stretch them in a lot, lube the nut (pencil graphite, nut sauce etc) and see how it is.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.