this amp seems to be the ultimate machine for death metal. I saw a band called Dicatated opening for Origin, and they sounded so ****ing heavy and powerful, and they used the Mesas. and it seems like the difference between a really crushing sounding death metal band and a really weak sounding one really is whether you have an expensive valve head or not, because Ive seen quite a few DM bands who use this amp and they always sound awesome. Where the hell can I find one second hand for a decent price in the UK?
Quote by kerkhammet
it seems like the difference between a really crushing sounding death metal band and a really weak sounding one really is whether you have a decent bass player or not

Fixed that for you.

When was the last time you watched what the bass player was doing / using in these super-heavy sounding bands? Crushing br00tz comes from the bassist, not the guitarist and their t00bz.

Still, that said, the Mesa Rectifiers are a solid bet for that sort of thing.
Last edited by Kikuta at Feb 26, 2012,
I suppose the Mesa Rectifiers are alright for that sort of thing. I played one and it definitely had the modern sound and gain, but I find that they need a boost from a tubescreamer to be really tight for that sort of playing style. They sound okay by themselves for regular hard rock and alternative metal stuff like Alter Bridge and Sent By Ravens.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I played a 2010 revision. It was better, but it wasn't quite as tight as I like for that sort of sound. Very bold and punchy though. An inexpensive overdrive for a boost is a small price to pay if you want that overall sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by Kikuta
Crushing br00tz comes from the bassist, not the guitarist and their t00bz.

+1

I know as guitarists we want to think that we create teh br00tz solely with our palm muted open chords with the 1 on the lowest string but most of the heaviness comes from the support of the bassline underneath the guitar part to create the full wall of sound and subsequent heaviness.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
It's all important. The bass can't rely on the guitar, and the guitar can't rely on the bass. You all have to work together.

That said, having good gear is also extremely important. You'll get nowhere if your bass player is playing out of a shitty little amp, and ditto for guitar.

I don't know a whole lot about bass tone, unfortunately, other than Ampeg SVT amps are ****ing CRUSHING. And I don't mean that sarcastically like the word "crushing" is usually used here.

For guitar amp, you could probably get a 6505 for a lot cheaper than a Rectifier in Europe. 6505's are a lot more brutal than Rectifiers. There's also a ton of other options out there too though.

Answer these questions and we'll be able to find some stuff for you https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think one of the "Fame" amps that musicstore.de sells is a copy or variation of a Recto, not sure which one though (or if I'm not way off, actually). That would be a place to start.

Otherwise, a Bugera 6260 is the cheap ticket for a convincing metal tone.
Quote by Offworld92
It's all important. The bass can't rely on the guitar, and the guitar can't rely on the bass. You all have to work together.

That said, having good gear is also extremely important. You'll get nowhere if your bass player is playing out of a shitty little amp, and ditto for guitar.

I don't know a whole lot about bass tone, unfortunately, other than Ampeg SVT amps are ****ing CRUSHING. And I don't mean that sarcastically like the word "crushing" is usually used here.

For guitar amp, you could probably get a 6505 for a lot cheaper than a Rectifier in Europe. 6505's are a lot more brutal than Rectifiers. There's also a ton of other options out there too though.

Answer these questions and we'll be able to find some stuff for you https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

I don't know if you can put it like that, because they have a very different high gain tone.

6505s are tight, middy, pretty percussive and "in-your-face".
Rectos however have that huge wall of sound tone, low end sag, huge low end overall.

They are different flavours of br00tal.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
I don't know if you can put it like that, because they have a very different high gain tone.

6505s are tight, middy, pretty percussive and "in-your-face".
Rectos however have that huge wall of sound tone, low end sag, huge low end overall.

They are different flavours of br00tal.

What you described is basically why I consider the 6505 more brutal. They're different beasts for sure, but the 6505 is like you said, much more up in your face. You can "feel" it more than just hear it.

The only real answer is to AB them both at the same time. brootzgasm.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X