A few days ago i decided to change my string gauge from 9s to 10s. i know the action is higher which i sorta didn't mind because it'll make my fingers stronger. but i realized that my string height is a little higher.

so is it true that the higher your string gauge, the higher the string height? can anyone tell me what's the standard string height and the standard truss rod settings? i know there are different types of truss rods but I've forgotten about it
yes, higher tension will pull the neck forward. a very slight adjustment of the truss rod and you should be fine. that being said, as far as i know there are no acoustic guitar strings that are 9's - 10's are extra lights - so unless you had your guitar set up for 9's, chances are it was set up for 12's in the first place.

i use 10's on some of my guitars, all of which were sold with 12's, and on most we have to tweak the truss rods just a bit. on some, we adjust the action, as well.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
yes, higher tension will pull the neck forward. a very slight adjustment of the truss rod and you should be fine. that being said, as far as i know there are no acoustic guitar strings that are 9's - 10's are extra lights - so unless you had your guitar set up for 9's, chances are it was set up for 12's in the first place.

i use 10's on some of my guitars, all of which were sold with 12's, and on most we have to tweak the truss rods just a bit. on some, we adjust the action, as well.

There are loads of acoustic guitar strings that are .9s - although somewhat confusingly, they are called extra light as well, so they aren't differentiated from the .10s particularly well.

I've never known a guitar being set up at the factory for .12s though, in my experience acoustics tend to be factory setup with .10s. Could be different with the more premium acoustic brands, but I know my Crafter & my old Takamine both came with .10s, as did all my cheaper acoustics.

Either way, you should always check if the truss rod needs adjusting when changing strings, especially if you are changing gauge, but even when sticking with the same gauge it's sensible to take the opportunity to make sure everything is still properly set up.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the reply guys! I adjusted the truss rod halfway thru and it looks alright. So is it true that the string height is higher than before? Can you guys tell me the standard string height for acoustic guitars?
Quote by PUNKSTER93
Thanks for the reply guys! I adjusted the truss rod halfway thru and it looks alright. So is it true that the string height is higher than before? Can you guys tell me the standard string height for acoustic guitars?

Mine are set up to be a similar height to my electric guitars, but really it mostly comes down to preference - there is no 'correct' height.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
um... i've gone through several string sites many times, but checked just now, and can't find a set of acoustic 9's. try here for starters
http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/acguitstrin.html

and here's a few listings for brand/type - no 9's here
http://www.juststrings.com/blackdiamondacousticguitar.html
http://www.juststrings.com/fenderacousticguitar.html
http://www.juststrings.com/daddarioacousticguitarphosphorbronze.html
http://www.juststrings.com/ernieballacousticguitarslinky.html
and here's all brands of acoustic guitar strings on juststrings
http://www.juststrings.com/acousticguitar.html

here's all martin acoustic guitar strings - you'll notice that 10's are extra lights here, too
http://www.martinguitar.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=135:acoustic-guitar-6-string&Itemid=169&layout=stringcategory

every single guitar i've bought or tried had 12's. i wrote to many asking what strings came on them. every single company's reply was 12's, including martins, yamahas and blueridge.

Quote by GaryBillington
There are loads of acoustic guitar strings that are .9s - although somewhat confusingly, they are called extra light as well, so they aren't differentiated from the .10s particularly well.

I've never known a guitar being set up at the factory for .12s though, in my experience acoustics tend to be factory setup with .10s. Could be different with the more premium acoustic brands, but I know my Crafter & my old Takamine both came with .10s, as did all my cheaper acoustics.

Either way, you should always check if the truss rod needs adjusting when changing strings, especially if you are changing gauge, but even when sticking with the same gauge it's sensible to take the opportunity to make sure everything is still properly set up.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I'm sure you enjoyed wasting your time shopping around for all those links in an attempt to prove yourself right. All I'm saying is that I know they are out there, I've seen them (my local shop sells them, but they don't have a website). I even used to use them when I was just starting out. They exist - that is a fact. I haven't shopped for them for a long time and I have a life so I'm not going to spend hours searching for them on the internet just to prove that a stranger who I've never met is wrong.

And I only said that the acoustics I've purchased in the past have all been fitted with .10s straight out of the shop. I even made a point of saying I didn't know if all manufacturers were the same.

Still, if that post made you feel superior because you think you know something, congratulations.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 28, 2012,
No need to be snotty with Patticake, Gary. She is very helpful on this forum.

I, for one, appreciate it when people back up their assertions ...
Quote by GaryBillington

My Takamine EG334SC came with .012's factory. And just about every other acoustic I've ever picked up had .012's on them...I've never seen one with anything lighter than .012's. It just seems like a good balance of string tension for acoustics.
GaryBillington, i don't care about being right, but i put the correct info out there for those who find this thread and end up buying wrong strings. electric guitar strings come in 9's - but don't sound great on acoustics - but not acoustics. takamine is one of the companies i talked to (and they were hardest to get hold of) and the rep told me they've always used 12's. i asked about the tan16c, the new yorker and the 523, but he said same strings on all. i believe that was in late 2008.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by ethan_hanus
My Takamine EG334SC came with .012's factory. And just about every other acoustic I've ever picked up had .012's on them...I've never seen one with anything lighter than .012's. It just seems like a good balance of string tension for acoustics.

All I'm saying is that all 3 of my current acoustics came with .10s - that includes one by Crafter, one by Jack & Danny and one that was cheap & unbranded. I also used to have a Takamine that came with .10s, although to be fair that was a 12 string so they are probably set up differently anyway (?).

Quote by Steve BP
No need to be snotty with Patticake, Gary. She is very helpful on this forum.

I, for one, appreciate it when people back up their assertions ...

I'm not being snotty - just stating facts, and the facts are exactly as I have posted. I'm not disputing other people's experiences so I don't expect other people to attempt to dispute mine.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm sure you enjoyed wasting your time shopping around for all those links in an attempt to prove yourself right...

Still, if that post made you feel superior because you think you know something, congratulations.

Gary, I'm not disputing your memory, the allegedly factual content of your post.

But the part I re-posted above is, in fact, snotty behaviour. So no, you weren't "just stating facts", unless those facts include the unsolicited fact of your emotional state when presented with information that did not fit your earlier message. Why be rude in a discussion about guitar string gauges? IMHO it undermines your credibility.
Quote by Steve BP
Gary, I'm not disputing your memory, the allegedly factual content of your post.

But the part I re-posted above is, in fact, snotty behaviour. So no, you weren't "just stating facts", unless those facts include the unsolicited fact of your emotional state when presented with information that did not fit your earlier message. Why be rude in a discussion about guitar string gauges? IMHO it undermines your credibility.

Yes, reading back over it, I guess it did sound kind of snotty - I guess I wasn't in the best of moods when I wrote it, and apologise for the final sentence of that post. But lets face it, when someone goes to all that effort merely to prove you wrong, it's bound to piss you off.

She obviously spent a long time searching all those sites in an attempt to prove herself right. I just spent a couple of seconds typing "acoustic strings 9" into ebay and found 100s of listings (admittedly including electric stings and other gauge acoustic strings). One of the first items on the list was these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Sets-Rotosound-Jumbo-King-Acoustic-Strings-JK9-/360434202270?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53eb8d769e

Acoustic strings, .9s, proof that they exist - something that was never in doubt no matter how much people tried to prove me wrong.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 29, 2012,
I'm only human - I guess I have moods the same as the common-folk do
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Everybody does things they regret -- what distinguishes a good man (or woman) from the rest is how s/he deals with it afterward!

Thanks for the link, Gary -- I learned something new today.
i didn't spend that long on the strings thing, 'cause i knew exactly where to look.

btw, i emailed crafter who told me that most of their guitars have been strung with D'Addario EXP 16 Light strings, which are standard 12's 12-16-24-32-42-53, but that a few of their "specialty" guitars use custom lights, which are 11's. each guitar is listed on their website along with the strings it comes with and the gauges.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by patticake
i didn't spend that long on the strings thing, 'cause i knew exactly where to look.

btw, i emailed crafter who told me that most of their guitars have been strung with D'Addario EXP 16 Light strings, which are standard 12's 12-16-24-32-42-53, but that a few of their "specialty" guitars use custom lights, which are 11's. each guitar is listed on their website along with the strings it comes with and the gauges.

Now you're just repeating yourself in an attempt to prove yourself right. As you're just repeating yourself, I guess I should do the same:
Quote by GaryBillington
the facts are exactly as I have posted. I'm not disputing other people's experiences so I don't expect other people to attempt to dispute mine.

I'm not really sure how much clearer I can be - I own a Crafter, it came fitted with .10s. No matter how much you claim to know my guitar better than I do, that is an indisputable fact. It was purchased brand new in around 2001ish, so you can't even claim that a previous user had put different strings on it. Unfortunately I am unable to travel back in time and provide evidence of this, however I assure you it is the truth. My other acoustics were set up the same way when I purchased them.

I'm not denying that other guitars may be fitted with different gauges - as I said, I can only speak for my own personal experience, and that is my experience. Feel free to keep trying to prove yourself right if you think it helps anyone.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud