Page 2 of 12
Quote by NothingRocks
I'm currently learning C++ to develop an RPG. It's seriously kicking my ass.

C++ kicks everyone's ass consistently until you've been using it so long you don't want to use it any more.

Pointers to arrays, pointers to pointers to arrays...oh dear god it's no surprise I haven't programmed in a while. I may start again soon though, my look back into libnds (devkitpro: http://libnds.devkitpro.org/)
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
If all goes well I hope to be involved in some conceptual art for some video games in the future. I'll get some things done and post here when I get the chance
Btw, I'm loving the 3D art, you guys are quite talented
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by tarlkea
C++ kicks everyone's ass consistently until you've been using it so long you don't want to use it any more.

Pointers to arrays, pointers to pointers to arrays...oh dear god it's no surprise I haven't programmed in a while. I may start again soon though, my look back into libnds (devkitpro: http://libnds.devkitpro.org/)

I disagree. I'm studying computer science and have to learn a lot of programming languages because of that. They're all so inefficient and everytime I think: I could do that so much nicer/more efficient in c++. I've been programming in c++ for about six years now, so that might explain it.
I started developing my own engine at some point. Though it's still in very early stages, it was promising. It's difficult for a single person though, lots of work.

Also, I used Freeglut. Probably not the best choice for something professional.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by Mad Marius
It's difficult for a single person though, lots of work.
True. I had a total conversion of Quake going. It was coming out fantastic, but doing it alone was tough. I also was awful at making textures.

Life gets in the way sometimes and it really sucks
ggg1 ggg3

This is very relevant to my interests. Stickied.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Quote by D1rk
I disagree. I'm studying computer science and have to learn a lot of programming languages because of that. They're all so inefficient and everytime I think: I could do that so much nicer/more efficient in c++. I've been programming in c++ for about six years now, so that might explain it.

Honestly, I do the same thing if I'm using another language for something. But I haven't been using C++ as long as you have, and probably not enough. I've only learned it for about a total of a year or two. I code on and off, I find it kicks my ass a lot then I realize what I did wrong after thinking about it for a while.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Oh. My. God

The Nintendo VSTs in the op are AWESOME!
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Hello all. I've been in the business for a while, and I've worked in almost every area of development except programming. I will not say what company I work at, for obvious personal and privacy issues. Though I'd be happy to field questions, if anyone has any.
Quote by whitenihilist
Asada is schooling Playmadness.

Quote by Victory2134
Asada confirmed for coolest guy in here.
Quote by Asada Hiruka
Hello all. I've been in the business for a while, and I've worked in almost every area of development except programming. I will not say what company I work at, for obvious personal and privacy issues. Though I'd be happy to field questions, if anyone has any.

How hard was it to get a job in the industry?

I'm currently studying 3D Computer Animation and the games industry would be my ideal goal

For everyone posting artwork there's a CGI thread here, though I'd post it here if its games related.

Props on the models, they're awesome

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by EMGs_rule
How hard was it to get a job in the industry?

I'm currently studying 3D Computer Animation and the games industry would be my ideal goal

For everyone posting artwork there's a CGI thread here, though I'd post it here if its games related.

Props on the models, they're awesome

That's a question that has a complex answer. It is largely dependent on where you live, your portfolio, and what job you want. The field isn't as easy to break into as when I started. I live in Japan and jobs are few and far between for newcomers. Artists of any type and designers have a harder time finding jobs than programmers. The US, I'd say is easier to get a job in, but not by a lot. 3D animation is being outsourced a lot too, following the trend 2D. So all in all, I'd say it's becoming increasingly difficult, but don't lose hope or give up.
Quote by whitenihilist
Asada is schooling Playmadness.

Quote by Victory2134
Asada confirmed for coolest guy in here.
Quote by Asada Hiruka
That's a question that has a complex answer. It is largely dependent on where you live, your portfolio, and what job you want. The field isn't as easy to break into as when I started. I live in Japan and jobs are few and far between for newcomers. Artists of any type and designers have a harder time finding jobs than programmers. The US, I'd say is easier to get a job in, but not by a lot. 3D animation is being outsourced a lot too, following the trend 2D. So all in all, I'd say it's becoming increasingly difficult, but don't lose hope or give up.

That's an awesome answer, thank you

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by Asada Hiruka

3D animation is being outsourced? Is that why animation in games these days suck?
Why do I not see Cinema 4D nor Zbrush?
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Quote by kcorkcar
Why do I not see Cinema 4D nor Zbrush?

They don't have cheap or free student versions, that's why

People starting out will probably be better suited with programs from Autodesk, which they can legally obtain for free as students.
Quote by CoreysMonster
They don't have cheap or free student versions, that's why

People starting out will probably be better suited with programs from Autodesk, which they can legally obtain for free as students.

aah okai then
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Where's all my level designers at?

I used to mess around making maps for DooM on the SKulltag port. Tried using UnrealEditor99 but my computer simply couldn't handle it... And I had troubles just getting a room with stairs together

._.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Not to mention that Autodesk have a very laxed view on illegal downloads. A friend of mine got caught torrenting a bunch of plugins from autodesk that they dont have for free, and the police contacted Autodesk. After hearing that it was for personal use and she was a digital media student, they basically told the cops to stop bothering them with pointless shit.

My friend still has to pay a hefty fine, though, I think around 2000 Euros.

And that is why you don't use torrents.
This really short and worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPO0Svt2rI

If you like games and more so game development then I recommend you check out their podcast Best Damn Podcast Ever. It's a gaming podcast with three hosts: a indie game developer, a lead designer at Firaxis and a Blake Buck a poor bastard.

I don't want to advertise the show to blatantly but, it's a really funny show that deals with a lot of interesting topics within the gaming industry.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Not to mention that Autodesk have a very laxed view on illegal downloads. A friend of mine got caught torrenting a bunch of plugins from autodesk that they dont have for free, and the police contacted Autodesk. After hearing that it was for personal use and she was a digital media student, they basically told the cops to stop bothering them with pointless shit.

My friend still has to pay a hefty fine, though, I think around 2000 Euros.

And that is why you don't use torrents.

Yeah, they are pretty chill about that stuff. You can get a legit license just by giving them a school email.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by CoreysMonster
If you want to hear them in action, listen to this

That's pretty awesome man I've already messed about using Peach and some TR-808 samples, sounds crazy
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
With the collective talent of UG, you guys could make a pretty awesome game with a kick ass soundtrack. >_>
Half of us would want to do RPGs, half of us would want a racing game, half of us would want a music game (jk about that last one) and half of us would want an FPS

We would have like 14 games and plenty of music for it.

Then we could buy the missile silo and be Missile Silo Games, inc.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by GoxGetterxGuy
With the collective talent of UG, you guys could make a pretty awesome game with a kick ass soundtrack. >_>

+1,000

I'd love to compose a video game soundtrack, and I'm sure plenty others would
Quote by element4433

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Quote by Laird95
+1,000

I'd love to compose a video game soundtrack, and I'm sure plenty others would

Good luck finding people to do the progamming and artwork
Quote by CoreysMonster

I could do the artwork too, but my programming skills are pretty non-existent
Quote by element4433

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Quote by CoreysMonster

well I'm a computer graphics (computer science + 3DS max) graduate and if I was unemployed instead of doing honours I'd totally be down
I'd be up for making a game, though I'd want an FPS

I could do audio and artwork, but I can't really programme lol

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Do it in UDK, Kismet is well easy once you understand the process so I've heard. It just drag dropping events.
Quote by JackalUK
Do it in UDK, Kismet is well easy once you understand the process so I've heard. It just drag dropping events.

I downloaded the UDK January Beta, just as the February one was released

I'm gonna fiddle about with it and see what I can muster!

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
To show off the progress I've made at C++ I made a really, really short CYOA game.

http://www.mediafire.com/?26e4pqp9rs0mcb1

Here's the code if any of you are interested:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    using namespace std;

int answer;
    int action;

cout << "As you walk along the grassy field you're ambushed by a goblin!" << endl;
    cout << endl;
    cout << "What do you wish to do?" << endl;
    cout << endl;
    cout << "Type 1 to attack! Type 2 to hold your ground! Type 3 to flee!" << endl;
    cin >> action;

if (action == 1)
    { 
    cout << "You attack the goblin with your short sword!" << endl;
    cout << endl;
    cout << "You have slain the goblin!" << endl;
    }

if (action == 2)
    {
    cout << "You stand your ground as the goblin attacks you!" << endl;
    cout << endl;
    cout << "You are slain by the goblin" << endl;
}

if (action == 3)
    {
    cout << "You run away with your tail tucked between your legs" << endl;
    cout << endl;
    system("pause");
    cout << endl;
    cout << "You trip over a rock and break your neck" << endl;
    cout << endl;
    cout << "You are dead!" << endl;
    cout << endl;
    }

system("pause");
    return 0;
}
^ That's pretty much how much C++ I know.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by NothingRocks
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
using namespace std;

int answer;
int action;

cout << "As you walk along the grassy field you're ambushed by a goblin!" << endl;
cout << endl;
cout << "What do you wish to do?" << endl;
cout << endl;
cout << "Type 1 to attack! Type 2 to hold your ground! Type 3 to flee!" << endl;
cin >> action;

if (action == 1)
{
cout << "You attack the goblin with your short sword!" << endl;
cout << endl;
cout << "You have slain the goblin!" << endl;
}

if (action == 2)
{
cout << "You stand your ground as the goblin attacks you!" << endl;
cout << endl;
cout << "You are slain by the goblin" << endl;
}

if (action == 3)
{
cout << "You run away with your tail tucked between your legs" << endl;
cout << endl;
system("pause");
cout << endl;
cout << "You trip over a rock and break your neck" << endl;
cout << endl;
cout << "You are dead!" << endl;
cout << endl;
}

system("pause");
return 0;
}
Your should simplify the code:

If you want a newline, you don't need to keep adding:
cout << endl;

Instead, you could simply add another:
<< endl;
to the line:
so that it becomes:
cout << "As you walk along the grassy field you're ambushed by a goblin!" << endl << endl;

An alternative would be to replace all of the:
<< endl;
with
"\n"
directly in the string being printed. So before, it would look like
cout << "As you walk along the grassy field you're ambushed by a goblin!" << endl << endl;
and after the replacements, it would look like this:
cout << "As you walk along the grassy field you're ambushed by a goblin!\n\n";

The difference between using "\n" newline and using "<< endl;" endline is that "<< endl;" calls the flush() method of the stream. So using "\n" will be quicker than "<< endl;" but the difference is almost never noticeable. There are times where you need to use "<< endl;" over "\n", though.

Another thing: When defining multiple variables of the same type, instead of defining them like this:
int answer;
int action;
you can define them like this:
int answer, action;

TL;DR I cleaned up your code:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    using namespace std;

int answer, action;

cout << "As you walk along the grassy field you're ambushed by a goblin!\n\n";
    cout << "What do you wish to do?\n\n";
    cout << "Type 1 to attack! Type 2 to hold your ground! Type 3 to flee!\n";
    cin >> action;

if (action == 1)
    { 
    cout << "You attack the goblin with your short sword!\n\n";
    cout << "You have slain the goblin!\n";
    }

if (action == 2)
    {
    cout << "You stand your ground as the goblin attacks you!\n\n";
    cout << "You are slain by the goblin.\n";
    }

if (action == 3)
    {
    cout << "You run away with your tail tucked between your legs.\n\n";
    system("pause");
    cout << "\nYou trip over a rock and break your neck.\n\n";
    cout << "You are dead!\n\n";
    }

system("pause");
    return 0;
}
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by NothingRocks
Oh sweet, thank you! I really appreciate it, I had no idea about \n syntax.
ggg1 ggg3