Page 4 of 12
I should report in, then.

I've been messing around in Game Maker* since 2004, though it has been a rare occation during the last few years. I am still trying to make that ambigious RPG-ish project of mine, but every attempt end at the despair of pixel art. Making a character sprite is a highly underestimated difficult quest.

I want to try Unreal Development Kit, but I can't really download it here as the internet is shit and the IT guys at my boarding school aren't fond of rather large downloads. I do also want to freshen up and improving my modelling skills. I believe 3DS Max was the program I used, but I can hardly remember what it was called. My brother was about to teach it to me, but we moved to different places, both a few hundred miles from home and we're three-four hundred miles away from each other at the moment.

*I know that GM is simple as shït, and I have dabbled into the realm of C++ too, but haven't had much time for either lately. GM is highly sufficient for 2D games though.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Mar 7, 2012,
Just started using c# with XNA. It's pretty awesome. The syntax is super similar to Java and visual studio makes it breeze.
Day man
Fighter of the Night man
Champion of the sun
You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone
Quote by sfaune92
I should report in, then.

I've been messing around in Game Maker* since 2004, though it has been a rare occation during the last few years. I am still trying to make that ambigious RPG-ish project of mine, but every attempt end at the despair of pixel art. Making a character sprite is a highly underestimated difficult quest.

I want to try Unreal Development Kit, but I can't really download it here as the internet is shit and the IT guys at my boarding school aren't fond of rather large downloads. I do also want to freshen up and improving my modelling skills. I believe 3DS Max was the program I used, but I can hardly remember what it was called. My brother was about to teach it to me, but we moved to different places, both a few hundred miles from home and we're three-four hundred miles away from each other at the moment.

*I know that GM is simple as shït, and I have dabbled into the realm of C++ too, but haven't had much time for either lately. GM is highly sufficient for 2D games though.

Omg I remember Game maker!

Once I made this game about a square, where you had to move through a maze, and if you touched the walls you died.

It had some mines with switches as well, so you had to pull switches to blow up the mines and make way.
I also made a super cool boss that sprouted balls of fire that followed you

Sadly I don't have it anymore

I'd probably need to finish this term's course before being any help on this though.
^I made a Doctor Who platformer in game maker, you ran around throwing bombs at daleks and had to get to the Tardis at the end of the level which took off to the next level. I was quite happy with myself back in year 10

also started on an Ikaruga style shooter but got bored when I had to insert enemies (the level design basically)
Just found this thread! Very useful links, definitely appreciated that.

I just started my major in comp sci so clearly this stuff is very helpful/interesting to me. Looking forward to messing around with some of these engines!
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
So how many of you have tried making a game for Android or iOS?
Quote by RRRone
So how many of you have tried making a game for Android or iOS?

I was on my way until I got into honours at uni.

Just drawing shapes to the screen to get used to some of the graphics libraries kicking about
Quote by Vendetta V
Hey guys, I'm willing to write for your games short musical pieces and all. I've done many stuff in many genres. check it out at http://vendettav.bandcamp.com/ also if you go to Descending the ... you can find some ambient drone music which goes well with horror themed stuff

Listening to one of your tracks right now. It is good. Will surely talk to you about it if and when I need something like this.
Quote by gonzaw
Omg I remember Game maker!

Once I made this game about a square, where you had to move through a maze, and if you touched the walls you died.

It had some mines with switches as well, so you had to pull switches to blow up the mines and make way.
I also made a super cool boss that sprouted balls of fire that followed you

Sadly I don't have it anymore

I'd probably need to finish this term's course before being any help on this though.

Go to yoyogames.com and download it there; the IDE is essentially the same even after all these years.

Quote by Vendetta V
Hey guys, I'm willing to write for your games short musical pieces and all. I've done many stuff in many genres. check it out at http://vendettav.bandcamp.com/ also if you go to Descending the ... you can find some ambient drone music which goes well with horror themed stuff

You're better off advertising your service on a game developers' forum. They'd appreciate your service.
Last edited by sfaune92 at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by sfaune92
Making a character sprite is a highly underestimated difficult quest.

I agree, even if I try to make simplistic SNES-style graphics it doesn't get anywhere near acceptable. It's actually the only part of game development that I really dislike doing myself.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by CoreysMonster
You're offering music services to a bunch of other musicians, you'll have to take into account that most of us prefer to make our own

well you never know...

Quote by RRRone
Listening to one of your tracks right now. It is good. Will surely talk to you about it if and when I need something like this.

thanks, feel free to drop me a line

Quote by sfaune92

You're better off advertising your service on a game developers' forum. They'd appreciate your service.

thanks for the suggestion, do you think you could give me a couple of links for some popular forums?
People might say GM is overly simple, but it taught me a lot about how programming works, and the community is extremely helpful and very active. Also if you delve into the actual integrated programming language and look into .dll extensions, you can do some pretty advanced stuff.

Looking into an engine called Sphere at the moment, the scripting language seems to be based on Javascript which is one of the few proper languages I'm comfortable with. It's limited to 2D stuff as far as I'm aware but it seems interesting. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up if they wanted to check it out.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
People might say GM is overly simple, but it taught me a lot about how programming works, and the community is extremely helpful and very active. Also if you delve into the actual integrated programming language and look into .dll extensions, you can do some pretty advanced stuff.

Looking into an engine called Sphere at the moment, the scripting language seems to be based on Javascript which is one of the few proper languages I'm comfortable with. It's limited to 2D stuff as far as I'm aware but it seems interesting. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up if they wanted to check it out.

debateable
Quote by Diamond Dave
debateable

You know what I meant >_>

I keep meaning to teach myself C# or C++, but then I open up the IDE and I'm like ;_;
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009

I keep meaning to teach myself C# or C++, but then I open up the IDE and I'm like ;_;

meh, IDE's are overrated. I learnt how to code with a text editor and the terminal.

ftw really.
Quote by entity0009

Try Dev-CPP, it's delicious.

Quote by Vendetta V
thanks for the suggestion, do you think you could give me a couple of links for some popular forums?

Well, if you bothered to read this thread, you would have found some. A simple google search aids you well too. When I was an active Game Maker user, I frequented the yoyogames website's forum quite often. There have also been links to other forums here too.
Quote by gonzaw
I only use IDEs so they color the test and shit

notepad++ colors things nicely
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
I think we need a Game Devs group. I would be interested in trying to do some projects together.

lol one of my friend is at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco and apparently there are picketers outside the convention center holding signs up that say "God hates game designers"

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol one of my friend is at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco and apparently there are picketers outside the convention center holding signs up that say "God hates game designers"

God's just mad because not even he can beat Contra without the Konami Code.
Quote by Vandals572
notepad++ colors things nicely

Well...okay I lied.

I use IDEs so they can compile all modules and shit automatically, so I don't have to go to the command line to do it myself >_>

However, of all IDEs that do that, I choose only the ones that colors things nicely
Quote by the bartender
I think we need a Game Devs group. I would be interested in trying to do some projects together.

Yes, I agree. I would be in interested in working together on some projects too.
Quote by the bartender

I agree with you.
Quote by the bartender

I made one ages ago.
Is Flash the only way to create web games? I want to learn a programming language ( well, at least get a head start before I start taking programming classes at university) but I want one that not only works for games but also for other things so I would not have lost my time learning something only useful for one thing (I don't know if that's flash's case but that's what I understand about it).
Quote by VillainousLatin
Is Flash the only way to create web games? I want to learn a programming language ( well, at least get a head start before I start taking programming classes at university) but I want one that not only works for games but also for other things so I would not have lost my time learning something only useful for one thing (I don't know if that's flash's case but that's what I understand about it).
There's java
ggg1 ggg3

You can do it with Unity, which is C# if I recall. Also UDK now supports web formats, you don't even need to learn to code in that as you can use the scripting system for the most part.
Quote by VillainousLatin

There's WebGL too.
Quote by VillainousLatin

honestly flash is going to be quite a large waste of time, some may disagree with me but ultimately its a dying breed and while it has enjoyed a reign of superiority it was never an ideal base for games.

if you want to look into a programming language your best options are probably going to be C/C++, Java or C# because they're all very popular and relatively similar to each other so if you learn one you can pick up another quite quickly.

arguably C/C++ are going to more useful to learn but I'd recommend looking at the other two first as they're much easier to pick up.
Thanks, yeah I was thinking C++ just because it will most likely be one of the languages I have to learn for college (Computer Engineering), so yeah, I think I will go with that even if I can't really do web games with it.
I'm a noob programmer taking a class in school where all we're learning is basic. I wanted to mess around with c++ so I downloaded visual c++ 2010 but i noticed that for some reason that specific language doesn't have intellisense? That feature is sooo useful to me so I'm just wondering if there is any way to get it back or does everyone just deal with it.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
As far as I know Visual C++ does have intellisense, but it isn't as good as the one for Visual C#. You could try using some other IDE like Eclipse, Codelite or Code::Blocks.