Page 5 of 12
Quote by Stringz of Fury
I'm a noob programmer taking a class in school where all we're learning is basic. I wanted to mess around with c++ so I downloaded visual c++ 2010 but i noticed that for some reason that specific language doesn't have intellisense? That feature is sooo useful to me so I'm just wondering if there is any way to get it back or does everyone just deal with it.

Is that just what guesses what you want to type? There are other compilers you can try.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Just a heads up guys (perhaps old news) Unity is giving out free (400$ each usually) Android and iOS development tools.
Day man
Fighter of the Night man
Champion of the sun
You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone
Oh sweet, not old news at all man thanks.

it does say free to the 8th of April... does that mean you only get a free license until then or with the download be free forever provided you get in before then?
Quote by Diamond Dave
Oh sweet, not old news at all man thanks.

it does say free to the 8th of April... does that mean you only get a free license until then or with the download be free forever provided you get in before then?

The latter.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Today's gonna be a boring day, so I guess I'm gonna fool around with Devkitpro and see if I can get anything working on the DS in it. Wish me luck!
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
So now I'm slightly clear of some of my uni assignments I feel like I can officially announce the project I'm planning

I'm working on an old-school roguelike but with actual graphics and a mousedriven GUI rather than ASCII and millions of keyboard commands. Also monsters will have more advanced AI because AI programming makes me wet.

Probably just gonna be developing it in GM because I can't juggle uni and 8 musical projects and learning a new language all at the same time >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
What does "old school roguelike" mean? Any well known examples?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by sfaune92
What does "old school roguelike" mean? Any well known examples?

a good example is "wasteland." basically its a really indepth, difficult, and unfair RPG compared to modern RPGs. a good roguelike out today with a GUI is dungeons of dredmore. there is also a doom roguelike if you can find it.
Quote by ironman1478
basically its a really indepth, difficult, and unfair RPG compared to modern RPGs

This pretty much sums it up. As opposed to standard modern RPGs where you can just reload a save if you die, a typical roguelike will make you create a new character and randomly generate a new map to start a new game on. The depth and complexity of the gameplay as well as the randomly-generated content is what ensures replayability, as there's no need to repeat the same tedious questline every time you start a new game.
🙈 🙉 🙊
hey people of the game development thread, ive been interested in how to make a game for a while now and this thread has given me the urge to try and start creating games, but i have no idea where to start, i have no prior knowledge or equipment and im finding it hard to get my feet on the ground, so

could you guys tell me where to go (or preferably, tell me here) to find out; what programs to get (i have tryed game maker and it wont download onto my computer :/) where to start out with learning codes and the like, and how to do start developing my own things so i can see a result. all other tutorials ive tried either required some prior knowledge of how to write codes and use you selected program efficiently or i was unable to get the programs that were specified and used as reference throughout the tutorial.

sorry if im sounding like an absolute noob...thats because i am XD

thanks for any and all replies,

locky
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

OFFICIALLY A 'BEAUTIFUL PERSON'
Quote by lock@stoner
hey people of the game development thread, ive been interested in how to make a game for a while now and this thread has given me the urge to try and start creating games, but i have no idea where to start, i have no prior knowledge or equipment and im finding it hard to get my feet on the ground, so

could you guys tell me where to go (or preferably, tell me here) to find out; what programs to get (i have tryed game maker and it wont download onto my computer :/) where to start out with learning codes and the like, and how to do start developing my own things so i can see a result. all other tutorials ive tried either required some prior knowledge of how to write codes and use you selected program efficiently or i was unable to get the programs that were specified and used as reference throughout the tutorial.

sorry if im sounding like an absolute noob...thats because i am XD

thanks for any and all replies,

locky

You could try learning to program in this language called "Python". It is supposed to be an easy language to learn. Then you can learn to make games in it using a python module called "Pygame". This is probably one of the easiest ways(that I'm aware of) to make a game. I haven't ever used Game Maker so I can't comment on that.

Heres a youtube tutorial series for Python:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf0h3HphEA

This guy walks you through from the absolute beginning (installing python). After you finish that he also has a series for making games in Python using Pygame. I think if you are a little patient and keep working on it you can learn quite a lot from his videos.

There is also this book called "Beginning Game Development with Python and Pygame" which I found to be very useful.
Quote by RRRone
You could try learning to program in this language called "Python". It is supposed to be an easy language to learn. Then you can learn to make games in it using a python module called "Pygame". This is probably one of the easiest ways(that I'm aware of) to make a game. I haven't ever used Game Maker so I can't comment on that.

Heres a youtube tutorial series for Python:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf0h3HphEA

This guy walks you through from the absolute beginning (installing python). After you finish that he also has a series for making games in Python using Pygame. I think if you are a little patient and keep working on it you can learn quite a lot from his videos.

There is also this book called "Beginning Game Development with Python and Pygame" which I found to be very useful.

Wow really? My CS class this semester is in Python and I haven't been able to find anything useful to do with it so far. That sounds awesome.

Other useful python tutorials:
http://www.alan-g.me.uk/l2p/index.htm
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/index.html
ahh kay thanks ill look into it

i found this yesterday after i posted and its seems prity good so far, all ive done is install all of the programs and run the first test with allegro, do u think that it looks like a good tutorial???

http://fixbyproximity.com/2d-game-development-course/
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

OFFICIALLY A 'BEAUTIFUL PERSON'
I finally have an idea for this year's semester project: A horror adventure/interactive movie loosely based on a mixture of HP Lovecraft's short stories.

IN THREE ****ING D
Quote by lock@stoner
ahh kay thanks ill look into it

i found this yesterday after i posted and its seems prity good so far, all ive done is install all of the programs and run the first test with allegro, do u think that it looks like a good tutorial???

http://fixbyproximity.com/2d-game-development-course/

You said you have no prior knowledge of programming. I looked at the first part of the tutorial you posted and i read this line:

"Introductory C++ programming is outside of the scope of this text"

That's not to say that this tutorial won't benefit you at all, but it could get a bit tricky to understand some stuff. I'd recommend you first learn to program, either through online tutorials or using a good book. You could choose any language you wish to, C, C++, C#, Java, Python...You can make games in all of them.

I suggested Python to you cause in my opinion that is the easiest language to learn of them all and C++ is the hardest one (although it is also the most powerful and a favourite of most game devs).
Quote by CoreysMonster
I finally have an idea for this year's semester project: A horror adventure/interactive movie loosely based on a mixture of HP Lovecraft's short stories.

IN THREE ****ING D

Do you mean a point and click kind of a game wherein the main character comes into a scene and you click on random stuff in the scene in order to progress in the story?
Quote by RRRone
Do you mean a point and click kind of a game wherein the main character comes into a scene and you click on random stuff in the scene in order to progress in the story?

Nope, more like Alan Wake or Dear Esther.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Nope, more like Alan Wake or Dear Esther.

Sounds like a nice idea. What do you plan to use? Unity?
Quote by RRRone
Sounds like a nice idea. What do you plan to use? Unity?

Unless I find someone in the group who is capable of programming UDK, then it will have to be in Unity.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Unless I find someone in the group who is capable of programming UDK, then it will have to be in Unity.

Have you made anything else besides the game in your sig? (Gonna try that one now. Looks interesting)

Edit: It isn't working for me. I am using a MacBook with Mac OS X 10.6. I downloaded the mac build of your game and there are no errors when I try to open it. It just won't open. Any ideas?
Last edited by RRRone at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by RRRone
Have you made anything else besides the game in your sig? (Gonna try that one now. Looks interesting)

I made a bunch of crappy games as a teenager, and also this one:

http://vimeo.com/36691686

Which is also a pretty crappy game, nothing more than a prototype of the game mechanics.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I made a bunch of crappy games as a teenager, and also this one:

http://vimeo.com/36691686

Which is also a pretty crappy game, nothing more than a prototype of the game mechanics.

I wouldn't call that crappy

Even though it isn't a proper game it does seem to be quite complex. And I'm guessing it isn't as laggy as it looks in the video.
Quote by RRRone
I wouldn't call that crappy

Even though it isn't a proper game it does seem to be quite complex. And I'm guessing it isn't as laggy as it looks in the video.

No, it was just the recording software that was that buggy. (though the game isn't exactly efficient)

If you want, you can download and play it here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3782733/Skyray.rar

Movement with WASD, jumping with space, inventory with C, continue dialogue with right mouse button.
Okay, I need some help with UDK, and this is one of the places that I might get it. For an assignment, we need to make a game in UDK. However, none of my textures or .swf files are being imported when the file opens. I know you need to put the packages into the right directory in the UDK folders, but I'm going to be uploading this, and I doubt my lecturer will take the time to copy the folders into the right destination.

Is there a way to get the textures to stay, without putting them into the UDK directory? My current folder structure that I plan to upload is:

- Folder
    Game
    - Textures
        Texture files
        .upk package
    - SWF
        SWF files
        .upk package
A question for you all.

Me and a mate are thinking of once again putting our toes into the icy cold waters of game development. This time I think the idea is a little more serious that our previous efforts. I can't decide on what engine to use though. Our idea is to make a more modern take on the old Castlevania and Metroid games, 2D scroller but built in 3D with a locked camera. Any suggestions? We are hoping this is the easiest point to start from and build up from there.
I would suggest Unity over Unreal, the UDK is best suited out of the box for FPS games, and Unityis a lot less cumbersome to get started with, due to the HUGE amount of tutorials and references online.

UDK might look better, but Unity can give you some great results, especially if you make custom shaders.
Quote by Gyroscope
Is that just what guesses what you want to type? There are other compilers you can try.

Kind of. It nakes a list of possible code elements you might be writing.
Last week I started working on my very first 'game'. It's a simple platformer, and I mainly want to use this project to gain experience. I'm lacking inspiration on what to do next though.

So far Mr. Uglio can jump, walk sideways, climb ladders and bump into stuff.

Does anyone know some interesting features that I could add? And with interesting I mainly mean interesting to code, as it's not my intention to make an actual game out of this. I just want to learn from it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
If you just wanna learn you could just try to copy one or many platformers. Make mario to get the basics of enemies and stuff. If you're serious about 2D stuff, make Loco-Roco, that will give you lots of challenging physics-related skills. I wouldn't waste time making it look like the original platformer or anything, though.

A simple feature that might prove to be a challenge might be zooming in and out the camera.
Also figure out how to rotate stuff.
Day man
Fighter of the Night man
Champion of the sun
You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone
It's probably worth mentioning that Game Maker is soon-ish releasing Game Maker:Studio which will allow exporting to Andorid, iOS, (and some other mobile systems, I think) and HTML5. It is availible as beta though (you can test on iOS, Android, HTML, Windows and MAC, but not export it).

And to the guy above, you should think about swimming and diving, and for the hell of it, jet packs
Last edited by sfaune92 at Apr 11, 2012,
Alright guys. I don't know if this is gonna be of any use to any of you, but I'm looking to get into composing for film/games etc, so I figured why not offer to help out some guys from UG.

So yeah, if any of you are putting out games for public use and need theme/level/interlude music then hit me up and I will give it a go. I can do 8-bit stuff all the way up to proper (fairly) professional recordings.

Get in touch lads, write me down somewhere for future reference
Quote by yaaarp
If you just wanna learn you could just try to copy one or many platformers. Make mario to get the basics of enemies and stuff. If you're serious about 2D stuff, make Loco-Roco, that will give you lots of challenging physics-related skills. I wouldn't waste time making it look like the original platformer or anything, though.

A simple feature that might prove to be a challenge might be zooming in and out the camera.
Also figure out how to rotate stuff.

Thanks! I guess you're right that copying others would be the best thing to do at this point.

I have no idea how I'm going to make bitmaps rotate.. but I guess there should be a way to do it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore