What's the easiest way to totally block a ZR trem. I would love to just throw a tremol-no in it but I'm pretty sure it won't fit/work with a ZR because of the adjustment spring. I love the tremolo system for its comfort and for anyone who has intonated a ZR, you know how convenient and well designed it is in that regard. The ease of changing strings with a locking bridge by simply throwing the ball end through the tuners is another advantage. Plus, I want the advantage of increased tuning stability of a double locking system coupled with a fixed bridge whilst also having fine tuners. I wish there were more guitars with double locking systems that were also fixed bridges (a la the RG2228). Maybe I'm just crazy and I'm the only person who'd want such a thing, but that'd be my preferred tremolo hence looking for the best way to block it completely. Thanks guys!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
It's similar to an Edge Zero right? I just have an actual piece of wood on either side of it holding it in place.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Throw a triple-A battery under the back of it
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by engineno9
It's similar to an Edge Zero right? I just have an actual piece of wood on either side of it holding it in place.

It's similar enough but theres a different spring system entirely that deals with a screwable tension system instead of individual springs. I was thinking a block of wood would do the trick. Is there an easy way to get one fitted correctly or is it as simple as taking a saw to a block of wood and cramming it into the open joint?

Quote by sacamano79
Throw a triple-A battery under the back of it

I'm not too comfortable with leaving a battery in the trem cavity of a Prestige, let alone any guitar, for an extended period of time... especially not with something constantly applying pressure to the battery what with all the leakage of a battery is concerned... I'd rather not take the risk of cleaning battery acid out of a stained mahogany trem cavity.
Taylor 214CE

Quote by Krauser
It's similar enough but theres a different spring system entirely that deals with a screwable tension system instead of individual springs. I was thinking a block of wood would do the trick. Is there an easy way to get one fitted correctly or is it as simple as taking a saw to a block of wood and cramming it into the open joint?

2 Blocks of wood, 1 on each side. Trim them down so that they're snug but don't move the bridge from being parallel.
The edge zero also has the adjustment screws with the two smaller and two larger springs. I took a part the two smaller springs and just put two blocks of wood in on either side and put the springs back in so they wouldn't get lost or anything. Bridge doesn't move at all now.

I'm not sure how much the smaller strings actually contribute to the tension anyways. The whole reason I blocked my trem was because it was impossible to get enough tension on the screw with the string gauges I was using. Ive heard you can buy beefier springs online from floydupgrades alternatively though.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
If you just ramb up the tension of the zero point thingy wont that effectively block it anyway?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Word I'll just throw some wood in there and block it up like that. Would have loved to throw a tremol-no in there but after looking more at the cavity, I'm confident it won't work. Also you can't tighten the ZPS to the point where it holds back the trem completely because it doesn't have a tension adjustment. It freely floats and the intension is to tighten the regular trem springs via the knob until it meets the ZPS. It's tight as it is but if you remove the tension from the opposing springs, it's not tight enough to stop the strings from pulling the trem back against the ZPS.
Taylor 214CE

You only need one block and to increase the spring tension a little. I would not try to achieve any sort of blocking with the ZPS, it's not made for that.

One fast and easy way to block it is to take some picks, stack them up to the size you need, tape them together, tape the bundle to the sustain block. That's it. If you're looking for string vibration transference, your not going to find anything really effective shy of gluing either a metal plate to the sustain blockwith epoxy) or gluing a wood block to the guitar body.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by W4RP1G
You only need one block and to increase the spring tension a little. I would not try to achieve any sort of blocking with the ZPS, it's not made for that.

One fast and easy way to block it is to take some picks, stack them up to the size you need, tape them together, tape the bundle to the sustain block. That's it.

Word seems easy enough. I'm just trying to do something that won't damage anything or leave marks. I don't wanna imbed a pick shape into anything
Taylor 214CE

Quote by ROBINGAGA
Really???

Regarding the question? I thought it was legitimate considering there are many options nowadays other than a piece of wood to block a trem (such as tremol-no's etc.) so I asked if anyone knew of easier or different ways for the particular tremolo system that is the ZR...
Taylor 214CE