What are some good recommendations for some distortion and or overdrive pedals. I have a valve king 100 with the stock 4x12 cab and a epiphone les Paul g400 custom. I play a mix of new metal/ hard rock/punk

Stuff like avenged sevenfold, bullet for my valentine, iron maiden, ozzy ozbourne, bouncing souls, social distortion, misfits, hammer fall and others in those same genres.

I tried the mxr full bore metal and it was too thin sounding. Currently I have a vox satchurator which is decent but a little to sharp. I was looking at the visual sound jekyll and Hyde, barber dirty bomb, or maybe the ibanez jemini distortion pedal, maybe also the vox ice 9 overdrive.

Any suggestion?
Try the Blackstar HT dist or dual

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The J&H visual sound pedal is pretty good but I'd definitely agree with shwilly and strongly recommend a Blackstar HT (I owned a dual for a while and it was easily the best distortion pedal I've ever used, and I have used a fair few )
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I would try using an overdrive pedal to boost the valveking's distortion channel. To do this, get an overdrive pedal, such as the mxr distortion or a ibanez tubescreamer, and turn the level all the way up and the "gain" or drive knob all the way down. the tone knob (if it has one) should be set to taste. This is what a lot of metal bands do to get an aggressive, punchy tone.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Get a Boss SD-1.
Do what dementiacaptain said with the settings.
???
Profit

Distortion pedals are basically useless on amps built for distortion, unless you want a totally different sound than the amp is giving you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yea i saw the Blackstar HT pedals just recently that was another option on my mind.

so essentially the tubescreamer is further overdriving the amp? would that also add some sustain to my tone for solo's?
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab
Epiphone Les Paul G400 Custom
MXR Custom Bad Ass Modified O.D
Yes. You are getting more sustain from the added gain and distortion.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Tonerider British Distortion.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
box of rock is great. The MXR custom badass distortion is great too. I dig the MXR doubleshot, as well as the Big Muff Germanium
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Offworld92
Get a Boss SD-1.
Do what dementiacaptain said with the settings.
???
Profit

Distortion pedals are basically useless on amps built for distortion, unless you want a totally different sound than the amp is giving you.

+1 (or a tubescreamer or clone)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried the mxr. Classic overdrive but it didn't do it for me to light. Also you said more sustain from the added gain. But wouldn't turn the gain knob to 0
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab
Quote by slugshot_90
I tried the mxr. Classic overdrive but it didn't do it for me to light. Also you said more sustain from the added gain. But wouldn't turn the gain knob to 0

Did you do into the clean sound or distorted sound? You are supposed to put the overdrive with your distortion so that it boosts your distortion channel.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 (or a tubescreamer or clone)

Aye. I've been recommending the SD-1 a lot more lately than I ever have. I think the SD-1 is better for mid-high gain amps, while a TS is better for already very high gain amps, since the SD-1 adds a little more grit and gain. Totally depends on what the TS is trying to get out of the amp, but usually they're trying to boost into full on metal.

Either one will work though, of course.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by sg4ever
Did you do into the clean sound or distorted sound? You are supposed to put the overdrive with your distortion so that it boosts your distortion channel.

I went into the clean channel not knowing about this using it on overdrive channel and I didn't like it on clean so I returned it. Also wouldn't a SD-1 or a mxr custom bad ass overdrive be a distortion pedal rather than a overdrive and not have the same effect?
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab
Oops didn't realize the SD-1 was a overdrive.
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab
"Too sharp" is a sign that you don't know how to use the pedal's EQs or your guitar's tone controls.

Work with what you have to make the sound that you want.
ive spent a couple of days with the pedal trying every possible thing i could and no matter what its to dark or too sharp, it doesnt produce a tone i want, even after watching countless youtube vids of it, they are all the same way.

Granted i probably should have did some research before i got the pedal but thats my own fault, all part of trial and error i guess.

Anyway ill probably bring back the pedal tomorrow and pick up a ts9 or maby a bad monkey since i read that they are pretty good with the valve king plus with the extra cash i can get a nice chorus pedal to add to the board
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab
A Bad Monkey is an affordable boost that will be similar to a TS9. If all you do is use it as boost, I'd recommend that.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
I recently picked up an MXR custom badass modified OD that is pretty sweet. It seems so far to be pretty versatile from light to heavy O.D. I like it and use it ontop of a Digitech Valve FX when I need that extra distortion.
In my amp clips you can compare the sound of the amps distortion channel with and without an overdrive pedal (Boss OD3) over the top.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by slugshot_90
ive spent a couple of days with the pedal trying every possible thing i could and no matter what its to dark or too sharp, it doesnt produce a tone i want, even after watching countless youtube vids of it, they are all the same way.

That makes little sense. There is an "in between" zone every pedal has.
I cant seem to find it on that pedal

as for the MXR custom badass modified OD i just watched some dunlop videos of it and might pick that up, it does seem to have a very nice range of tone. Ill have to try it out when i get the chance. I also want to check out the MXR zw-44, seems to act as a nice boost from what ive recently seen and sounds pretty decent on it own
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab
Quote by slugshot_90
I cant seem to find it on that pedal

as for the MXR custom badass modified OD i just watched some dunlop videos of it and might pick that up, it does seem to have a very nice range of tone. Ill have to try it out when i get the chance. I also want to check out the MXR zw-44, seems to act as a nice boost from what ive recently seen and sounds pretty decent on it own

the MXR is a pretty sweet pedal I believe it has only been out for a few months.
yea i keep seeing a display sign for it at guitar center but never thought anything of it
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab
Quote by Offworld92
Aye. I've been recommending the SD-1 a lot more lately than I ever have. I think the SD-1 is better for mid-high gain amps, while a TS is better for already very high gain amps, since the SD-1 adds a little more grit and gain. Totally depends on what the TS is trying to get out of the amp, but usually they're trying to boost into full on metal.

Either one will work though, of course.

yep, sure.

actually my concern with the sd1 is that apparently some of them have a very poor bypass, where the overdrive signal bleeds into the bypass one. whether or not that's been fixed by now, I dunno.

It's ages since I tried one, but i did like it when i did. and from what i remember, the sd1 was a bit edgier and the TS a bit smoother, which ties in with what you're saying

Quote by slugshot_90
I went into the clean channel not knowing about this using it on overdrive channel and I didn't like it on clean so I returned it. Also wouldn't a SD-1 or a mxr custom bad ass overdrive be a distortion pedal rather than a overdrive and not have the same effect?

yeah if you ran it into the clean channel there's your problem

that's like saying you don't see what all the fuss about these ferraris is and then letting slip that you didn't get it out of first gear. or out of the car park.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc

that's like saying you don't see what all the fuss about these ferraris is and then letting slip that you didn't get it out of first gear. or out of the car park.

^LOL

anyway i picked up the MXR custom badass modified overdrive and i love this thing, it sounds full with a nice crunch on the clean channel and on the overdrive channel the notes have a ton of sustain and sound amazing when i kick it on
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab
yeah. run it into the OD channel
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The MXR seems to work really well so far
Peavey VK100 Stock Cab