With my tax return expected to be in my hands any day now, I'll be the owner of a Jet City JCA20H sometime in the next month or so. With that, I'm thinking of running a 2 amp set-up for certain shows with my current amp, a Legend Rock N Roll 50 (combo). I've never done this before though, so I thought I'd ask for any advice or precautions you guys might have.

I wouldn't use this sort of rig for every gig, mainly just bigger ones where it's worth the hassle to use a bigger set up (somewhere in the 40%-50% range of my shows). I'll be using the Jet City for the bulk of the work and for the instances where I need more of a clean sound I'll switch over to the Legend. I'm also thinking I can run them "Y'd" for a nice solo boost, but I'm concerned it might be volume overkill since the Legend doesn't have individual volumes for both channels. And, since the Legend is just a 1x12 combo and it won't be running into a cab in this bigger rig, it shouldn't require a whole lot more effort to set up or tear down.

Anyhow, enough rambling. Just wondering how you guys felt about your past experiences in using an A/B(/Y)-type set up and if there's anything advice you'd give to someone else running one.

Thanks!
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by mmolteratx
Watch your phase.

I assume you mean make sure the mics are in phase when running in "Y" mode? If so, any tips on making sure I stay in phase, i.e. amp/mic placement?
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
i think its mostly when an amplifier has a few phase-inverting gain stages, you want the two amps' outputs to be in phase. if one amp has an even number of inverting gain stages, and another has an odd number, you'd want a phase inverting buffer (there are pedals that can do this) in front of one of them to make them both in phase.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i think its mostly when an amplifier has a few phase-inverting gain stages, you want the two amps' outputs to be in phase. if one amp has an even number of inverting gain stages, and another has an odd number, you'd want a phase inverting buffer (there are pedals that can do this) in front of one of them to make them both in phase.

And this all is concerning them being used simultaneously, right ("Y'd")? How would I know if they're running out of phase? Sterile, tinny sound?

I guess worst case scenario would be I could only run them A/B with no Y option.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Quote by Oldmonkeys
just get a decent A/B/Y pedal that has the options to change phase.

Lehle Little Dual, or Dual SGoS spring to mind as good albeit a little pricey options

The other guitarist in my band has a Morley ABY I'll be using for the switching needs, but if the need arises I'll look into these.

Also, the Legend has a ground switch on the back of it. Would this be what I need to change the polarity if needed?

Edit: Appears so; Letter "J".

...and yes, the manual is indeed very old. The Legend I have was made around 1980.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Last edited by sjones at Feb 27, 2012,