Ok, so I'm looking at two guitars, here's a quick rundown for those not who don't know the guitar (and to outline the main points of difference):

1. Schecter Damien Elite-6
- 24XJ frets, 25.5" scale
- EMG 81/85 pickups
- TOM w/ String-Thru bridge

2. Ibanez RGD321:
- 24XJ frets, 26.5" scale
- Ibanez pickups ("VK - Down Tunz" model)
- Gibraltar Standard Bridge

I think it's possibly worth mentioning that I don't have any decent music shops around me where I could try out these guitars, which is partly why I'm asking you guys. Oh, and budget's not an issue for picking between the two.

Now, I've been playing a 22 fret (not sure whether M or XJ) imitation Strat which I believe has a 25.5" neck, but I acquired a Schecter Omen-7 recently, and I really like the 26.5" scale on that. I dunno how I'd adjust to a 24 fretter on a 25.5" scale, but I don't play any skitz solos or anything yet, I'm more of a rhythm player myself.

However, I can't help noticing the EMG's on the Damien, which presumably crap on the stock Ibanez pickups (although the UG review I read on the RGD gave positive pickup reviews).

I play through a Peavey Vypyr 30, and the cheaper pickups on my two current guitars do create a bit of buzz, and I've been told that using pedals will screw up the sound coming out of a modelling amp, so I'd like some quieter pickups if that's what the EMG's can offer (am I correct in assuming that?)

I plan to use this guitar for probably Drop B and Drop A#, around those tuning ranges, so am I better to get the longer scaled neck, given that I can use thinner strings on a longer neck? (I have my imitation Strat in Drop B, currently with 11-56 strings and they're not thick enough for me in Drop B).

Also, I like the Schecter that I have (so there's some brand familiarity there for me), and I'm also a fan of the TOM string-thru bridges, as I found it quite easy to adjust for things like raising action and levelling intonation. I suppose this bit isn't really that relevant, but I thought I'd put it out there.

If you haven't guessed from my choice of tuning, I play metal/metalcore/hardcore, that kind of stuff. Again, that might not be relevant, but yeah, thought it might help possibly.

What do you guys think? Neck length vs. pickups? Any help's appreciated
I just sent back the Damien you speak of. But, that's ONLY because I'm buying a tube amp. Simply put, the guitar is awesome. It has a nice deep sound, it's easy to play, and holds tune very well. This guitar is perfect for metal. Seeing as I play metal myself, it works wonders. You should love this guitar. Since you already like the feel of Schecter, it should be a no brainer. Good luck.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Quote by smithmetal
I just sent back the Damien you speak of. But, that's ONLY because I'm buying a tube amp. Simply put, the guitar is awesome. It has a nice deep sound, it's easy to play, and holds tune very well. This guitar is perfect for metal. Seeing as I play metal myself, it works wonders. You should love this guitar. Since you already like the feel of Schecter, it should be a no brainer. Good luck.

Awesome

Out of curiosity, what does the tube amp have to do with it?