I'm planning to gift my 12 y.o boy cousin. Not a birthday gift or anything. But something that will get him started into the world of guitar-playing.

He went for 1 or 2 classes and thats about all he knows. He's more into video games. So, I want to gift him some book/DVD-set that will be really fun and easy. He already has a guitar.

So, guys, please drop your suggestions

Thanks in advance.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro (Alpine White)
J&D Strat-copy electric (Black)
Digitech RP90 modelling guitar processor
i remember when i was that age a family member actually bought me a month's worth of lessons to start me off. but maybe something like a tab book by a band he likes or stuff like that?
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
If he's not really into guitar playing, giving him lessons would be a waste of money. Give him some music that'll get him excited to play guitar. That's how I, and I think a lot of other guitar players, got into playing.
give him a dvd of megadeth or metallica live =D he will search his guitar like a drug addict searches drugs
Wangcaster.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Rocksmith actually isn't a bad idea. But the game itself might not be very fun.. I dont know. Never played it, but I've heard it's not exactly amazing. There's a new game coming out that uses real guitars, too. I dont know what its called though.
But, IMO, DON"T give him a DVD to watch. That's what Youtube is for, and I certainly wouldn't sit in front of a TV to try to learn how to play guitar.
Last edited by StratR96 at Feb 28, 2012,
Why don't you just play with him?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
This book got me started on playing guitar back when I was a young'n.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Playing-Guitar-Terry-Burrows/dp/0789459795

It seriously has everything, from "This is the neck, this is the body" to "This is what you want to look for in a booking agent." Also gives recommended listening for different styles, a ton of musical theory, etc etc. And it's super cheap.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
JCM800 Full Stack!

+1

Does he enjoy guitar? Keep in mind that most people who pick up the guitar drop it. You can't force him to like it, so let him do his own thing. But if you want to give him a guitar related gift, give him something that will be actually useful, and not cheesy/stupid. Maybe some strings, cleaning/polishing kit, a pedal? Kids go apeshit over pedals.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by stealstrings
Rocksmith?

+1

My cousin was having problems learning on his own and bought that. As far as I know, he liked it.

It seems a logical fit. He's somewhat into guitar and more into videogames. Buy him something to combine the two ideas.

If not that, maybe buy him Guitar Pro or a book of tabs from bands he likes?
What guitar stuff does he currently own? ie guitar, amp, etc.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification