Hey so I got a drum set off of craigslist (not the set pictured below) a while back and I've been wanting to mic it. Problem is, the bass drum looks like this:

It has a gigantic hole in the middle, which is a lot larger than the small port holes as well as being right smack in the middle whereas the port holes I've seen are off-center. How do I mic my kick drum with the best results?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Either just inside the bass drum, or half in/half out. Try both of these, and experiment with the positioning until you find a tone you like man.
That's a good thing! Mic goes inside the drum or on the threshold of the hole (oo'er missus) - closer to the beater head if you want more click and further away is you want more woof.

Awesome looking kit, by the way.
Just inside the hole mate but take the laundry out of the drum first. You'll need a bit of damping but just enough to take away the overtones and some boom.
The best kick drum sounds I've gotten have always been with taking the resonant head off. For recording, it just sounds better. With the head on, all the low frequencies bounce around inside the drum, building up and causing mud. With the head off, the frequencies can escape, causing much less mud, while still getting the low frequency response. Plus, you have better access to the drum for mic placement.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Quote by TasianSensation
The best kick drum sounds I've gotten have always been with taking the resonant head off. For recording, it just sounds better. With the head on, all the low frequencies bounce around inside the drum, building up and causing mud. With the head off, the frequencies can escape, causing much less mud, while still getting the low frequency response. Plus, you have better access to the drum for mic placement.

From experience, I've found this to be true as well, but only if the room isn't too echo-y.