Greetings, I know there's a few different threads regarding this but I wanted to make one about my personal goals. I want to practice roughly 1-2 hours a day. I've been playing for about 7 months and I want to play pop/punk. I currently can play bits and peices of blink 182's "easier" songs, and I'm having some issues with getting faster on fret transitions. Mainly when frets are several full steps apart on different strings. I was wondering if you guys could help me get together a fairly effective practice routine that will not just be a lengthy practice but a good "Complete" practice routine. I also want to improve my open chords as well as alternate picking.

I currently know the A minor pentatonic scale, and the C major scale. I practice those roughly for 15-20 mins, after that I try some different open chords for about 10 mins, then I usually just take a peak at some tabs and see what I can play. I would really love to be able to play the blink 182 song "Carousel" start to finish. That's a nice goal of mine. Can you guys recommend a good practice routine for me?
Last edited by Dalymiddleboro at Feb 27, 2012,
Everyone is different, so you really aren't going to find an exact answer. I usually start off with finger exercises to get warmed up. I remember, when first starting off on guitar, getting my bar chords down helped me with finger placement. Maybe you could try learning some awkward jazz chords. Learn other scales, too. Just never limit yourself to one type of music to play.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Thanks for the quick reply! Aside from the C major scale, and the A minor pentatonic what other scales would you recommend? Also, what finger excercises do you start with? I've been using scales as my "finger excercises".
Thanks for that, the only problem I'm having is by only doing 2 scales and randomly failing at new songs, my routine is getting a little stale. I guess I'm just looking for not only more things to practice, but more structure. Can I really get better by just playing two scales for months?
Yeah, Pentatonic is a great scale to learn on, and you'll probably use it the most around people who don't know anything about music. Other than that? Practice all major, harmonic minor, and melodic minor scales.

As far as exercises go, try this:http://www.amazingguitarsecrets.com/articles/fingerstrength.html

I've had a lot of people give me crap for using these as finger exercises, but they helped me drastically. Just remember to alternate pick all of those exercises. Mind you, its only for finger dexterity and nothing more. There's a sweep pattern exercise that is similar to those finger exercises that helped me with accuracy.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Thanks for this, I will definitely check it out, as it seems like it has a lot of useful information. As for a routine, could you maybe assist me in breaking down (time wise) a good routine to follow? I want to practice 1-2 hours 7 days a week and I'm looking to do anything and everything I can to improve as quickly as possible. Thank you again.
Just play.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Quote by Pyrax87
Just play.

Hmmm I'm pretty sure you won't improve much if you "just play". Real improvment depends just as much (if not more) on what you play and how you play it.

If you keep practising the same mistakes over and over, they're not going to somehow magically go away!

Something like this might help: http://chainsawguitartuition.net/blog/?p=1123
Thanks chainsaw, Yea I wasn't 100% on what he meant by "Just Play" I mean no offense but I could've figured that out. I was more or less looking to learn how to utilize "good practice" as opposed to "shitty practice".
Boasting Belstaff Jacketswater resistant,windproof,perforance storm hood,Belstaff Outlet variable wool boat, hot in addition to delicate.Belstaff Sale Mexico coats results in being the widely accepted Belstaff Colonial Bagoutside products. Belstaff onlineFor a numberBelstaff 556 of individuals, Belstaff Outletbackpacking and also winter sports, waterproof Mexico Outdoor jackets is best choice.
The best thing you can do is have variety in your playing. Learn a bunch of your favorite type of music, but don't limit yourself to that. The best way to become an adaptable guitarist is to learn different things. Learn some blues, metal, classic rock, jazz, everything. Even if you don't like the music, it will help you.