Hello everyone! I'm in need of a multi FX unit since i can't afford single pedals for individual effects.

I mostly play in my room just for fun, I own a Fender Stratocaster with a Dimarzio evolution on the bridge and a YJM on the neck. My amp is a VOX VT30.

I play many different styles and like to experiment and search for interesting sounds, tones and settings. I'd also like to buy a unit that offers the best effects possible, a great soul crushing distortion would be nice since i play Metal most of the time.
I would go with the line 6, I have an XT live and it has enough effects to cover pretty much everything and the HD 500 is supposed to be better. I would test them first before buying just to be sure you get the right one for your needs.
Honestly, I have played around with both, and I went along with the GT-10 because of the effects were better. A lot of people hate the amp modeling (The HD500 has better modeling)on the GT-10, but I found them good for editing to get your own sound out of them. You can get whatever sound you want out of both pedals, just depends on how hard you work on tweaking them. You will be tweaking for weeks. Have you looked into the GT-100? I think its only $50 more than the GT-10 and has more models...
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Pyrax87 i didn't know the gt-100 existed! I'm a little outdated when it comes to pedals, hehe.

I wish i could be able to test them both personally, but since i live in a relatively small town, i need to order most of my gear online. And of course, the only way i can compare both is hearing clips on youtube or reading some input about both the gt and the hd 500.
I bought my GT-10 December 2011, and the GT-100 came out of NAMM 2012 -_-
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
I'd say get a better amp.

Unless you are restricted to play very quietly or only through headphones.
In which case you won't get soul-crushing metal tones anyway, but whatever.

Out of those 2 I'd say the POD HD.

But really, get yourself a nice tube amp.
Digital modeller into a modelling amp isn't exactly going to sound that great.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If the amp has a line in or aux in it will sounds just fine.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
^Not the point here. I dont see the point in getting a modelling pedal wehn the amp itself already has very similar sounding models and effects. The Recto model on the VT and the Recto model on the POD are not so far apart in tone that the POD will feel like an upgrade. Raw tone wise, it will be better on the POD but not by a massive amount. Its more of a side grade
^ The VT IMO sounds like crap for anything but clean tones and maybe low to mid-gain crunch. Even then it has some "crumbly", undefined, plastic character.

The POD HD would be a huge improvement, but still not the greatest thing through the VT and the VT's speaker.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Modeling amps don't generally go well with other modeling gear.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Thanks for all the comments...yes, i'm aware that running a modeling pedal through a modeling amp maybe not the best idea ever...however I don't need a bigger/better amp at the moment, i just want to play in my room for myself.

For metal stuff i was thinking in choosing the most clean sounding setting on the VOX VT30 so the pedal gets to work with the amp/distortion by itself. I'm hoping this will work.
It will work but it wont sound good. Youll be running a preamp into a preamp.

Sell your VT, get a small keyboard amp or a set of studio monitors, should cost 100-150 dollars or so, Peavey's KB1 is about 110 for example, then get the POD. Thats probably your best option.
Have a look at the Eleven rack! Great unit!
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
Esp Truckster
Epi Goth Explorer
Ovation Celebrity
Bjärton Bj-12
Eleven Rack
Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-Bk
Marschall valvestate 8080
Fish And Chips eq
Bad monkey
Zoom g9.2tt
What if i sell the vox amp, get a nice decent solid state amp and then get one of those multi-fx units? Would that be better?
Thats the current set-up I am running right now with a GT-10

I only use a cheap solid state head as a power amp.

I've got some examples of what distortion it is capable of.
Let me know if you'd like me to show you
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne