Hi all

I've been wondering for the past few months: how does a band become big? now i live in South Africs and barely any good bands come from here, and people tell em that the only way to make it big is to record overseas and tour overseas. I was just wondering if anyone here is in a band that is quite well known and how they made it big, or just any advice you have? Thanks
1) Be good.
2) Get gigs.
3) Get more gigs.
4) Be lucky, and get noticed.
5) Get studio time.
6) Record an album.
7) Tour.
8) Repeat 5, 6 and 7.

That's pretty much the basics of it.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
but the thing is here in the SA gigs are so hard to come by, and i was told that the best thing to do is to record, but then to send the recordings abroad to be published into albums
Save up money.
Get studio time/a home studio.
Record demo.
Send to radios and record labels, both in South Africa and overseas.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Quote by JimmyCraig
Hi all

I've been wondering for the past few months: how does a band become big? now i live in South Africs and barely any good bands come from here, and people tell em that the only way to make it big is to record overseas and tour overseas. I was just wondering if anyone here is in a band that is quite well known and how they made it big, or just any advice you have? Thanks

Here's the thing:

If there's one thing that the big industrialized Western entertainment industry is good at, it's recognizing people that are already successful in a smaller market.

Whether it's being successful in a distant country or on youtube, they can smell money and react to it.

So in some ways, it's quite possible that the biggest way to become a star internationally is to start by being a star at home.

There are no guarantees, and the music business is in such a mess right now that it's hard to see how anyone can "make it big." Adele managed, although in recent years she's pretty much the only one. Interesting, I heard a theory that part of why Adele has sold so well is that her records appeal to people who are a little bit older ... and thus aren't savvy enough to pirate or spotify them.

I have a friend who works for a major record label. He pointed out that the engine driving their profits is ... Michael Buble. (Who?) I think that supports the Adele's-audence-age theory.

So my advice for you would be to become the best band in South Africa. Record a demo. Get an album that sells in South Africa. If you can do that, you'll find somebody who wants to take your music to a wider audience.
Quote by HotspurJr
Here's the thing:

If there's one thing that the big industrialized Western entertainment industry is good at, it's recognizing people that are already successful in a smaller market.

Whether it's being successful in a distant country or on youtube, they can smell money and react to it.

So in some ways, it's quite possible that the biggest way to become a star internationally is to start by being a star at home.

There are no guarantees, and the music business is in such a mess right now that it's hard to see how anyone can "make it big." Adele managed, although in recent years she's pretty much the only one. Interesting, I heard a theory that part of why Adele has sold so well is that her records appeal to people who are a little bit older ... and thus aren't savvy enough to pirate or spotify them.

I have a friend who works for a major record label. He pointed out that the engine driving their profits is ... Michael Buble. (Who?) I think that supports the Adele's-audence-age theory.

So my advice for you would be to become the best band in South Africa. Record a demo. Get an album that sells in South Africa. If you can do that, you'll find somebody who wants to take your music to a wider audience.

The only problem is I know so many SA bands, but the chances are you've only heard of the Parlotones. They made it big by going overseas and leaving SA, which seems to be the only way out, but i do see your point and i'm gonna try record some demos and see how it goes locally, and if that doesn't work i'll market it abroad
Quote by JimmyCraig
And how did some of you guys get well known?

Are you asking famous wise? Or are you asking more towards the profit generated?

From what I read you seem to be asking about money.

Artists that are "Big" as in famous are often times just getting by. If they are session musicians they are often doing better. In today's age with pirating, it makes it extremely difficult for artists to survive. They are often times more known though then they would of been without pirating.

Money wise, few actually make a large profit off music. The majority of money anymore for artists comes from merchandise, gigs, and signature products. That's why there is a billion and one shirts for super popular bands, but I can't find a Rush tee shirt anywhere besides online! Artists barely make money off albums because the sales normally cover their recording and traveling expenses along with equipment.

The music industry is extremely hard to make a living at because you get 1). Screwed by the Record Label and receive a small profit (Get a Lawyer before signing anything, they will be your best friends, but get a trust-able honest one.) or 2). Pirating kills most of your sales. Sometimes it both of those.

If you want to be famous though I would suggest a Home Studio as that will save hugely in the long run. From there just record albums and do everything yourself and send Demos and EPs to everyone and their grandmother. Advertise a little and do what you can but never give the copyright away and publishing.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
hmmmm....Xter you make a good point, but i'm not in it for the money, i just wanna make music, but i do however till want to survive off it and maybe a part time job, something flexible. is this even possible?
Quote by JimmyCraig
The only problem is I know so many SA bands, but the chances are you've only heard of the Parlotones. They made it big by going overseas and leaving SA, which seems to be the only way out, but i do see your point and i'm gonna try record some demos and see how it goes locally, and if that doesn't work i'll market it abroad

Sure.

At some point, if you want to be an international star, you're going to have to go international. And you may fail at that step - but you'll get a chance to go international.

I suppose the other option is to move to a music-mecca city (I guess that means L.A. or London) and try to work your way "in." As I said in another thread, I think that's crazy if you don't have a demonstrated ability to dominate your local market.

One of my favorite artists is Danish singer-songwriter Tina Dico. (I suspect stylistically she's the sort of music most UGers are really into). She was successful in Denmark, moved to London. Her career took an uptick there when she did some work with Zero 7. That got her a chance to go "international" with a major label ... where she failed pretty significantly, because (in my opinion) the record company didn't have the slightest clue what they were dealing with and produced her records all wrong and then as they figured it out they got swept up in the general failure of the music industry so she retreated back to Europe where she fills multi-thousand seat theaters and is considered a national treasure in Denmark, while in the U.S. she plays 300-person clubs.

I think her career path likely represents something that's going to be quite common for artists over the next decade. We're not going to see new U2s or even Coldplays. The days of a major record label swooping in and giving you tour seed money, and six-figure advance, a music video budget and a huge marketing push are long gone and they're not coming back anytime soon.

So what if you can't make it "huge" in South Africa. Make it medium. And use that making-it-medium as a foundation from which to launch attempts to conquer other territories.
Last edited by HotspurJr at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by JimmyCraig
hmmmm....Xter you make a good point, but i'm not in it for the money, i just wanna make music, but i do however till want to survive off it and maybe a part time job, something flexible. is this even possible?

It's possible. You won't be able to at first but later you'll have the ability to survive off it assuming you can get a fan base, and some gigs. You'll need a job at first and just work on songs/recording when you are not working. It's a tough industry but if you try, you can have success, even if it's just personal success.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90