So I have an MXR Classic Distrotion on the way and I want to get another pedal to boost for leads or use the Classic Distrotion as the boost. Should I get an Overdrive pedal to do this?

I was thinking of browsing for a Classic Overdrive or an MXR Custom Overdrive. I want a chunky rhythm type tone for the un-boosted sound. Kind of like Paul Gilbert's modern tone, but a little "beefier".

For my leads I want something kind of towards the mids and bass but with a fair amount of treble. Not piercing but warm in the sense.

I don't want any EQ suggestions because that's token care of. I just want to know if my idea would be a good one. Should I Boost a distrotion pedal with an overdrive or vice versa?

Thanks,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Get a boost pedal...
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
you should buy an OD pedal to boost your signal and add a little "edge" to your sound if you want to solo, I have a custom TS-808 and its perfect as a boost pedal
Gear:
- Washburn WG 248
- LTD EC 1000 (blk)
- Randall RG100SC
- TS-808 DIY w/clipping mod

Pics here
Quote by Any7423
Get a boost pedal...

In most cases Overdrives are used as boosts

Quote by Ktulu.-
you should buy an OD pedal to boost your signal and add a little "edge" to your sound if you want to solo, I have a custom TS-808 and its perfect as a boost pedal

So I should Boost with the Overdrive? I'll try it when I get everything set up!

Thanks Ktulu.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Feb 27, 2012,
Yep, I use a Hermida Zendrive for a nice OD but I also just knock the gain back to virtually nothing and crank up the output to use it as a boost. I can still shape the tone with the tone and voice control as well.
you could use an OD, try gain down and volume up on the pots. You could also get a buffered boost like the Keeley katana. Amazing!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com