Page 1 of 2
Are any sitcoms actually "situational comedy"? Many of them just have characters who are batshit insane and would be in a mental hospital IRL.

Are there any where the characters are mostly normal, tho a bit quirky but the situations are funny?? The closest I got was Arrested Development.....
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
uhhhh Seinfeld mother****a

Well, even moreso Curb Your Enthusiasm
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Last edited by lushacrous at Feb 27, 2012,
I hate the laughter track in Seinfeld...it's not as in your face as in That 70s Show (god that was horrible) but they should've omitted it altogether.

And in the later seasons, George was out of control. Earlier it seemed like shit just happened to him, but later on...it was like "C'mon dude, get a ****ing grip"
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by lushacrous
uhhhh Seinfeld mother****a

This.
Also Community... somewhat. All of those kinds of people exist, but not nearly as exaggerated. The whole point of the show is to show how differences can work together, though, so it's intentionally over the top (especially Pierce and Abed, probably spelled their names wrong).
Quote by sage76
I hate the laughter track in Seinfeld...it's not as in your face as in That 70s Show (god that was horrible) but they should've omitted it altogether.

And in the later seasons, George was out of control. Earlier it seemed like shit just happened to him, but later on...it was like "C'mon dude, get a ****ing grip"

Seriously, Curb Your Enthusiasm.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by SG_dave
The office?

*has never seen the office*

Yep...its good...but it tends to meander in seasons 5 onwards...at least that's wat i thought...I havent seen it properly except seasons 1-3, they were great.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by sage76
Yep...its good...but it tends to meander in seasons 5 onwards...at least that's wat i thought...I havent seen it properly except seasons 1-3, they were great.

You say this like I ever want to watch it.
No, I hate Ricky Gervais so refuse to watch anything he's in without Karl Pilkington being there to even him out.
Quote by SG_dave
No, I hate Ricky Gervais so refuse to watch anything he's in without Karl Pilkington being there to even him out.

Is he even in the Yank version?
Quote by SG_dave

He isn't in the first 7 seasons afaik
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by SG_dave

I've just said I've never seen it or want to see it.

Fair enough, he is an irritating knob.
Night at the Museum might have only been a regular pile of crap without him, rather than being Godzilla's first dump of the day, after he had a million tons of vindaloo the night before.
Fwends? Fwends? I like Friends anyway, even if it is a little cheesy. Liked the UK The Office, and Extras, but never seen the US version.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Office_(U.S._TV_series)_characters#Main_characters

And, for the record, that show is fucking terrible. Not funny at all, imho.

Humor is subjective, but I've heard this a lot and I've checked out the show and laughed at maybe one thing out of six episodes or so. It wasn't even a burst of laughter or anything. Just a slight chuckle. Show wise it was okay but the humor was not there at all. Even Six Feet Under is funnier and that show's not even primarily a comedy.
Seasons one through three, and some of four, of the US Office are comedy gold. After that, meh.

I would say Parks and Recreation to the OP.

Also, Arrested Development is the best comedy EVER!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Skins (UK version). I adored the first two seasons ^^
House MD is one of the best series imo (and far out the best in the category hospital/doctors/medics)

currently watching Boardwalk Empire and it's REALLY good imo. Steve Buscemi as a corrupt mayor
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Seinfeld is completely based on funny real life situations. While they are sometimes over the top, you can literally relate almost anything in your life to something that happened on Seinfeld.
I might get flamed massively, but I was watching the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Elaine decided to be FWBs and TBH.......I didn't laugh much. Same case with the one where Jerry and George were fighting over the new apartment....

I know it's just 2 episodes I'm talking here....but it makes me chuckle more than laugh. Arrested Development has a couple of scenes where I actually had to pause to finish laughing and so I don't miss the dialogue.....

I know Seinfeld has got a massive fan following here...so ultra-flameshield up..........
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Nah no sweat. Seinfeld can be a grower-show for some. It was for me. I didn't find it funny for a really long time until I got the point of the show and its kind of humor. Now I love it.
Quote by TimTheWizard
Skins (UK version). I adored the first two seasons ^^
House MD is one of the best series imo (and far out the best in the category hospital/doctors/medics)

currently watching Boardwalk Empire and it's REALLY good imo. Steve Buscemi as a corrupt mayor

I much prefer Scrubs, but neither of them are sitcoms.

Scrubs is just a wonder.

Anyway, with expection of a few of them, I'm not huge on sitcoms. The laugh tracks and everything annpy me after a while.

Friends and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air are probably the only ones I like.

Oh, and Malcolm in the Middle was an excellent tv show, but I don't think it counts as a sitcom either.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
"I was in a pool!"

Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Last edited by ripple07 at Feb 27, 2012,
I like both versions of the Office. I actually really like the US one up to around season 4/5. Extras, Peep Show, Arrested Development are all good.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by sage76
Are any sitcoms actually "situational comedy"? Many of them just have characters who are batshit insane and would be in a mental hospital IRL.

Are there any where the characters are mostly normal, tho a bit quirky but the situations are funny?? The closest I got was Arrested Development.....

Have we been watching the same programme?

EDIT: Here's a little something about Friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRb92CDLlq0
Last edited by Cloaca at Feb 27, 2012,
I add my vote to Peep Show and Freaks and Geeks. F&G probably isn't a comedy, but there are some funny moments, and it is a great show nonetheless.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
I would say Community has the most relateable characters. All failures in some way. Everything else is pretty unrealistic about the show, but the characters are quite realistic.

The Office has good, normal characters once you get past Meredith, Dwight, and Michael.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Malcolm in the Middle had "normally insane" characters.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Quote by robertito696

Damn, I used to love that show, I watched it all the time.

Sky One should start showing it again!
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
I would say Parks and Recreation, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Louie and Peep Show. Though Peep Show could be the worst of all time.

It's Always Sunny is the best.

I hate it when sitcoms makers think your that dumb they have to tell you when to laugh.
Last edited by mybanez at Feb 28, 2012,
Page 1 of 2