Well simple question.

If I change string gauges say from 9's to 11's, and I adjust the truss rod so that the neck is perfect while it's in E standard, what happens if I detune my guitar to say C standard?

I'm just curious whether the neck will start to bow or not.
If you're detuning the guitar, you will have less tension, which is why you use heavier strings to compensate. If you tune the guitar to E with 11's, you need to tighten the truss rod a bit. But if you then detune, your neck could be too straight and you may need to back the truss rod off.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 27, 2012,
Its nothing to worry about. A truss rod is not something you should be scared of.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yeh just a little annoying because i was hopeing to use that guitar to practice some detune songs but also to take to jam sessions with friends (in E). Ah well that's why i have two :P
Well, if you're gonna adjust the truss rod, give it a day with the new strings/tuning before doing it, I find it helps.
You could get another guitar.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by rageahol
Well, if you're gonna adjust the truss rod, give it a day with the new strings/tuning before doing it, I find it helps.

That's somewhat true. Yes, the string tension change can have a gradual affect on the neck, but for guitar with smaller necks(like Ibanez), the change is instantaneous, or at least in my experience. And there is no reason why you can't adjust the truss rod immediately if the change is so fast.

But my advice if he's scared to adjust the truss rod too often, is to set it up for C and leave it. Or at least see how that works out. I've found that changing tunings doesn't usually have a large enough affect on the neck bow to render the guitar unplayable. My guess is he would make it through his practice session just fine.