So i will try to practice the piano 1 hour a day, for a while. What shuld i work on? Im an intermediate guitarist, and i know a whole lot of theory and scales. Im ok at sight reading, and i can read easy pieces on piano. Im a beginner at piano, and i started a couple of months ago, but i have never "practiced". Im intrested to learn technical things, and learning the essentials of piano, so i get over the beginner stage.

So any thoughts of what to practice for an hour?
start by learning the major scales. learn C, G, D, A, and E first. those five have the same fingering. practice the scales hands separately at first, then bring them together. for instance, practice the C major scale. learn it hands separately, and play it enough so the fingerings become natural. then play them both together. when you can play them cleanly with no fingering mistakes at a moderate speed, move on to playing the G scale.

don't forget to start working on your repertoire. try a couple of easy bach minuets once you've bolstered your skill a bit. maybe work on some simple pop tunes to start. left hand take the harmony, right hand takes the melody. and since you have musical experience, don't just play block chords -- work on the voicing the harmony so it sounds effective.

if you really know your theory, practice playing chords in inversions. just do major, minor, augmented, and diminished triads to start. maybe some 7th chords if you're up for it, but start with triads.

i recommend buying an exercise book, too. hanon is fine, but personally i think czerny is better. do both if you can -- hanon is good for finger control, but is fairly poor musically. basically the equivalent of running scales in patterns on the guitar. it's good, but alone will not accomplish much. czerny's exercises are less mechanical, and are more musically and practically applicable. and once you have the aptitude (which may not be for a while, don't rush it), play them in other keys. the best way to do it typically is to transpose the written exercise up a semitone and down a semitone. for example, if you play an exercise written in C, play it also in Db and in B. but wait a while for that.

most importantly, don't rush. move on only when you've gotten a concept to a sufficient level. you don't have to master it in order to move on, but you should be able to execute it reasonably.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
There are a few things to consider. First, exercises can be great, but don't limit yourself to just doing exercises. That can get quite stale in a hurry. Find sheet music that you would like to play that is at your skill level, and work on it. Pick something in the style you like.

Also, pay close attention to proper fingering. It's easy to make a mess of things on the piano when your fingering is bad. Also, pay attention to dynamics in the sheet music. Don't just bang on the piano as you play the notes. See where the crescendos and decrescendos are at and try to play things accordingly. Learn how to use the pedal properly too. Good sheet music will include all those elements in the manuscript.
Last edited by ChicagoJ at Feb 27, 2012,
I will watch this thread very closely as I am in exactly the same boat as you.
You'll Never Walk Alone!