Page 1 of 2
I'm in my third year of university. Like any proper student, I should be getting hammered and sickled and indulging in drug-fueled orgies at least 4 times a week. I should be "living life to the fullest" while I'm still young and in a social setting where such behaviour is commonplace.

I currently have no interest in doing any of those things. Maybe I'm just a really boring person, but I'm fine with that. However, I sometimes think that when I'm older I'll regret not having done anything while I still could. Right now, I'd rather just play guitar and video games.

Is it worth the effort to do something for its own sake, even if you have no desire to do it?

I imagine a sizeable chunk of The Pit have been in a similar situation.
No, I believe that if it's something you don't want to do, or enjoy to do, then don't feel forced to do it. Although, that doesn't mean do absolutely nothing in college, but for the most part, do what makes you happy.
No.
A lot of things(and a couple of people, I guess) I did as a student, I did because 'I thought I ought to be doing it'. Turns out those were bad decisions.
Quote by sashki

Is it worth the effort to do something for its own sake, even if you have no desire to do it?

In certain cases, yes, in this case, no.

Since when do drinking alcohol and taking drugs mean "living life to the fullest"?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
There's nothing wrong with trying new things, but if you don't want to then don't.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
You should go kill everyone.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
No real harm in trying it once or twice, just so that you have the satisfaction later that you did it instead of just thinking about doing it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
You should try everything once. Then, you can't regret it. If something isn't for you, if you only do it once, you'll know that you don't want to do it again. But if you don't do something, you'll never know what it feels like. Who knows? Doing something you expect not to like might surprise you.
I am going to uni. I have no such plans.

I like my subject enough to get my kicks from that.

Oh. And all the sex

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I did it once, didn't like it.

Its not worth doing something you're not comfortable with, brah. My flatmates go out to nightclubs all the time, but i never join them. Not that i don't enjoy their company, its just that nightclubs aren't something i really enjoy. Thats not even including the insane prices they charge for drinks, entrance fees and stuff.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 27, 2012,
I experimented with both styles in college, having spent 1 year partying, 3 years studying, and 1 year raging like Andrew W.K. I knew that buckling down for 3 years straight and hauling ass with cramming knowledge in my head was a good idea because that's what I was there for. Had a lot of fun skateboarding with a great group of friends and had fun house parties every week because of the house we lived in (my roommate and I built a big miniramp in the backyard... it was one of those classic college party houses). But in those three years there, I didn't cave to partying much, despite it being shoved at me for all directions. Had I not buckled down and concentrated on school while throwing in a little bit of fun once in a while, I would have never gained as much expertise spanning the entire tech sector. Win some, lose some. My last year partying like crazy was interesting - taught me that binge drinking is somewhat of a disease.

EDIT: super habitual binge drinking*
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by Don_Humpador
You should try everything once. Then, you can't regret it. If something isn't for you, if you only do it once, you'll know that you don't want to do it again. But if you don't do something, you'll never know what it feels like. Who knows? Doing something you expect not to like might surprise you.

Suicide?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Don_Humpador

Or you can't regret it for very long, like if it turns out you're really, really bad at parachuting.
Quote by Mad Marius
In certain cases, yes, in this case, no.

Since when do drinking alcohol and taking drugs mean "living life to the fullest"?

Those were just the first things I thought of, because some of my friends suggested it. It applies to a lot of things. Joining societies, doing sports, travelling etc. I just can't be bothered to do anything, but I feel like I might regret it later.

Or I might not. Who knows?
I think you should atleast try it. That way you can say you tried and did/didn't like it.

If you get old and find that you haven't really tried much while young you could easily regret it.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Mad Marius
Suicide?
Do it when you're on your 1,000th chemotherapy treatment and minutes from death?

But seriously - suicide, no. I think a shred of common sense might intervene in the experimenting on that one..
So, getting hammered and sickled and indulging in drug-fueled orgies is considered as living life to the fullest and whoever doesn't do it is considered boring?
Quote by -Mantra-
So, getting hammered and sickled and indulging in drug-fueled orgies is considered as living life to the fullest and whoever doesn't do it is considered boring?

According to popular culture and media, well... yeah.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by -Mantra-

Its pretty much what my flatmates say to me.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by -Mantra-

Here's a hint for orgies - do NOT shave your bum, especially if you have slightly girly legs.
Don't ask me how I know.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Here's a hint for orgies - do NOT shave your bum, especially if you have slightly girly legs.
Don't ask me how I know.

the hell kinda flatmates do you have?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Don't ask me how I know.

How do you know?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
the hell kinda flatmates do you have?

Ones who lived by the words "any port in a storm".
Just go for it. It only takes one night, and if you don't like it - nothing's lost.
Personally I've never been a club person, and don't want to be.
Will I drink in Uni? Yeah, probably every now and again. Going to a local bar, playing pool with a few friends is fine. But going out and getting trashed is a no go. I already found that out.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Ones who lived by the words "any port in a storm".

I would've sucked his dick as he fucked me in the ass.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I would've sucked his dick as he fucked me in the ass.

Then you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
I went out quite a bit my first term of university (to bars, clubs, etc.). I'm almost at the end of my second term, and I've been out maybe four times (quite a bit more if you count going to pubs, but that's completely different) and gotten considerably drunk once. It's just not for me. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

I guess it might be worth the effort to see what appeals to you outside of what you'd expect. The reason I went out fairly regularly at the beginning was to see if I'd enjoy it, and, if not, to see what social activities/places I did enjoy. I've never been into clubbing (something about oompa loompas grinding on me just isn't appealing), but I did discover that there are a few good bars in town that I legitimately enjoyed going to with friends. I doubt I would have known that if I hadn't tried.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Don't ask me how I know.

You shouldn't have dropped that soap...
Quote by Kensai
If you get old and find that you haven't really tried much while young you could easily regret it.

This post frightens me :s
Do drugs
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Duffman123
This post frightens me :s

Same here, bro. Simultaneously I don't really try that many new things, or meet new people
Quote by Kensai
Same here, bro. Simultaneously I don't really try that many new things, or meet new people

Doesn't matter. I saw your pics in the post your room thread. A lot of people dream of living in a classy place like yours with a fine collection of pipes and ancient Brazilian relics.
I had no interest in horseback riding. Went with my girlfriend and I enjoyed it. Plus, she gave me sex afterwards. Go to a drug fueled orgy. You might just end up liking it and getting sex too.
Quote by blake1221
inb4 Shinysides and the frat...

Oh wait.

Shinysides!
Quote by metaldud536
Doesn't matter. I saw your pics in the post your room thread. A lot of people dream of living in a classy place like yours with a fine collection of pipes and ancient Brazilian relics.

haha, thanks, bro
Dude I'm in a similar position, I'm 21 in college and i just have no desire to get drunk nor go to clubs or whatever. I just hang out with friend, play guitar, some video games. For the longest time tough there was something wrong with me, but with time i learn to accept it just move on. The only think i wish I could do is be confident enough to talk to girl at clubs or bar or w.e

EDIT

Quote by sticksause
I had no interest in horseback riding. Went with my girlfriend and I enjoyed it. Plus, she gave me sex afterwards. Go to a drug fueled orgy. You might just end up liking it and getting sex too.

I like this dude's idea
Last edited by handbanana78 at Feb 27, 2012,
Page 1 of 2