Page 1 of 2
Hey I looking for a good amp that gives a great tone for Hard Rock and Metal. I play stuff like Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Three Days Grace, RED, Stone Sour, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.

I'm currently running an Ibanez RG3 and PRS SE Baritone through a Line 6 spider IV 75 with a Boss MT-2 pedal. While it's great for practice, I'm looking for something better for gigging. I'm also looking for mainly a half stack. I'd like it to have Channels so I can save my presets and have an effects loop.

Don't wanna spend more then $1500
Quote by its_alive
It's just like breaking up with a girl.
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Last edited by Legend Jedicsc at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by Strats&Cats
Price Range?

Don't wanna pay more then $1500
Quote by its_alive
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
all used - mesa tremoverb, hughes & kettner triamp mkI, rivera knucklehead, engl fireball 100. none of those should be over 1200, which leaves you with money to get a decent cab.
Oh, whatever I do choose to buy, should I get it used or new? Cause if it comes with a footboard I'd like it.
Quote by its_alive
Last edited by Legend Jedicsc at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
Oh, whatever I do choose to buy, should I get it used or new? Cause if it comes with a footboard I'd like it.

I'd say always go used on an amp if you can. It saves you a ton of money, and generally you can break even if you ever decide to sell it for something else.
I fear you don't know what you're doing, TS. What you're describing is a high end modeler.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I fear you don't know what you're doing, TS. What you're describing is a high end modeler.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LaidBack

Am I? Is there not amps where I can have channels like the line 6 and an effects loop that's not a modeler? I mean I want something like so I can put one channel High gain, one clean, and one in between so I can use a foot controller to switch between them.
Quote by its_alive
get the jet city 100w half stack it comes with a footswitch im sure.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
sure, just the way you phrased it sounded more like a modeller

most higher end high gain tube amps will do what you want
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think you're looking for a regular amp, ts. i think the confusion is coming from the use of the word presets. If all you want is a three channel amp that you can use one channel for cleans, one channel for low to midgain, and one channel for hi gain than any of the amps i mentioned would be great. Conversely a modeler like a pod hd pro is still worth a look cause it's cheaper and has everything sans a poweramp that you're looking for.
I've tried a POD and it's not really what I want.
What about something like the marshall JMD100(or Whatever it's called)? Is that a good amp? It's got the channels and foot switch and effects loop. Is that good or is it a modeler?
Quote by its_alive
Sorry for double post.

I just really want it to have the channel switching similar to the Line 6
Quote by its_alive
do you just want that kind of layout with programmable knobs because thats what you're familiar with? the jmd is also pretty terrible.
I mainly want it so I can use less pedals. I mean, I'd like my distortion, Semi distortion, and clean to come from the amp. Unless using a distortion pedal would be a better idea?
Quote by its_alive
Here is where the confusion lies:

TS, you said you want something that will allow you to save presets. On your Line 6, you can set a preset for a channel so that even if the knobs are somewhere else, when you switch ot hat channel, it remembers the position of the knobs when you saved the _reset and ignores the current position. Those are presets and are usually found on moddeling amps because having each channel have it's own set of each of those knobs isn't really a good option for amp makers.

What everyone else is recommending you is a multi-channel amp. It has "presets" in the sense that it will have multiple channels, each with their own set of knobs, toggle switches, and/or push-buttons. You set the knobs, then leave them there for that channel or "preset" as you would know it.

Now, do you really have to have 3 Channels? There are plenty of amps that can do all of the stuff you want, but very few have 3 channels. Usually, amps come with 2 channels and you can set one for clean tones and one for lead tones. If you want a lower gain sound, you use your lead channel and just turn down the volume knob on your guitar, which will cause the amp's gain to reduce.

My recommendation is that you look at a Peavey 6505, 6505+, 6534, XXX, and JSX; a Bugera 6260, and 6262; an Egnater Vengeance and Armageddon; Jet City JCA100HDM; Marshall JCM2000 TSL100, and JCM2000 DSL100; Splawn Quickrod; and ENGK Fireball or Powerball. You might even want to look at Bogner's stuff, although I'm not too familiar with their stuff.
Look into the Egnater Vengeance. You can probably find them at Guitar Center to "test drive". Don't rely on youtube demos for it. I haven't found a faithful one that truly demonstrates the sounds accurately. You get a great clean sound and the lead channel can either do tasty rock crunch or do some pretty heavy high gain depending on how it's set. It's very flexible. Also any any of the previously mentioned amps should work too. You should be able to go from high gain to a more simple rock sound by just turning the volume on your guitar down. This is honestly a simpler way than a modeling amp with presets and a switchboard and more reliable. Learn to work with less and rely on the guitar controls and playing dynamics and touch.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Okay guys thanks for the clarification! I'll head up to guitar center and test some amps out!

One more question! I know I've asked this before, but any of these come with a foot switch or the brand has one for sell that I switch between the lead and clean channels with out have to walk up press the button myself? Like I know the Mesa Boogie MK IV has a midi controller that switch between the amps clean and lead channel. I think the Jet City has one also. Or would it just be better to run a Distortion pedal into the amp?
Quote by its_alive
Most all of those should have footswitchable channels.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I would take a look at the Carvin V3. ITs a great head with 3 channels and you can get a foot switch for it.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Thanks guys! I'll take a look at the amps and test them!
Quote by its_alive
If you like everything to be footswitchable, go with the Vengeance. It has a 6 button footswitch for channel select, Ch 1 Mids, Ch 2 Mids, Effects Loop, Reverb, and a 2nd Master Volume for a solo boost. If you need Versatility, the Vengeance is the way to go. I have clips up on my profile that show all of the Settings from the Manual, plus clips from a Gig. I plan on putting a clip of Killswitch Engage's song My Curse on my profile in just a short while. If you want links, the Ultimate Gear Demo Sticky at the top of the page of the threads list has links to my demo clips. If you have any questions at all about the Vengeance, just ask and I'll answer as best as I can
Quote by Blktiger0
If you like everything to be footswitchable, go with the Vengeance. It has a 6 button footswitch for channel select, Ch 1 Mids, Ch 2 Mids, Effects Loop, Reverb, and a 2nd Master Volume for a solo boost. If you need Versatility, the Vengeance is the way to go. I have clips up on my profile that show all of the Settings from the Manual, plus clips from a Gig. I plan on putting a clip of Killswitch Engage's song My Curse on my profile in just a short while. If you want links, the Ultimate Gear Demo Sticky at the top of the page of the threads list has links to my demo clips. If you have any questions at all about the Vengeance, just ask and I'll answer as best as I can

How good are the cleans on it? I like Killswitch engages tone, but should it be able to produce good tone for Breaking Benjamin or Chevelle? I would think so but just making sure. It's one of the amps I was considering from the earlier suggestions actually.
Quote by its_alive
look for a h&k triamp mkI too. It has 6 footswitchable channels, and adam d from killswitch used a triamp for a while back around end of heartache.
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
How good are the cleans on it? I like Killswitch engages tone, but should it be able to produce good tone for Breaking Benjamin or Chevelle? I would think so but just making sure. It's one of the amps I was considering from the earlier suggestions actually.

The cleans are outstanding. They can be super Fendery clean or you can flip the Gain switch to + and up the gain for more bluesy cleans. I have that Killswitch clip up now if you want to hear it. The clean demo clips I have I recorded in a bit of a rush and didn't set the levels quite as well as I should have, which caused some clipping in the program I used to record them. It sounds like some of them are distorting, but most of them aren't.

Here is a link to the KSE clip and then the other ones can be found right there as well, in case you haven't listened to them yet:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Blktiger0/music/all/play1090100

If you want me to make a demo of something specific for you, let me know and I would be glad to do it.
Quote by Blktiger0
The cleans are outstanding. They can be super Fendery clean or you can flip the Gain switch to + and up the gain for more bluesy cleans. I have that Killswitch clip up now if you want to hear it. The clean demo clips I have I recorded in a bit of a rush and didn't set the levels quite as well as I should have, which caused some clipping in the program I used to record them. It sounds like some of them are distorting, but most of them aren't.

Here is a link to the KSE clip and then the other ones can be found right there as well, in case you haven't listened to them yet:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Blktiger0/music/all/play1090100

If you want me to make a demo of something specific for you, let me know and I would be glad to do it.

Sounds pretty good to me. But yeah if you could maybe get one of like The Clincher by chevelle up that would be cool until I could test drive one myself. I know the song is in Drop A#. Not sure if your guitar could handle the tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV2lIiTNQk
Quote by its_alive
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
Sounds pretty good to me. But yeah if you could maybe get one of like The Clincher by chevelle up that would be cool until I could test drive one myself. I know the song is in Drop A#. Not sure if your guitar could handle the tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV2lIiTNQk

There's no way I'm gonna be able to tune to Drop A. Anything else?

They sound similar to Black Stone Cherry, and I could throw up a cover of one of their songs. That kinda Heavy Rock sound. I'll do my best to imitate the Chevelle tone there. It basically sounds like BSC with less treble and maybe some more bass.

Also, I can't be sure I'll have this up tonight, but I should be able to by tomorrow. When are you going to try the amp?
Quote by Blktiger0
There's no way I'm gonna be able to tune to Drop A. Anything else?

They sound similar to Black Stone Cherry, and I could throw up a cover of one of their songs. That kinda Heavy Rock sound. I'll do my best to imitate the Chevelle tone there. It basically sounds like BSC with less treble and maybe some more bass.

Also, I can't be sure I'll have this up tonight, but I should be able to by tomorrow. When are you going to try the amp?

I'm gonna try to find a GC with it in stock so I can try and test it this weekend. Does the amp come with the footswitch or do I have to buy it separately?

What's the lowest you'll tune down to? Sleep Apnea by Chevelle or Topless by Breaking Benjamin are both in drop C#. If you can't do those maybe something by Avenged Sevenfold? If not the BSC song will be fine.
Quote by its_alive
Last edited by Legend Jedicsc at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
I'm gonna try to find a GC with it in stock so I can try and test it this weekend. Does the amp come with the footswitch or do I have to buy it separately?

What's the lowest you'll tune down to? Sleep Apnea by Chevelle or Topless by Breaking Benjamin are both in drop C#. If you can't do those maybe something by Avenged Sevenfold? If not the BSC song will be fine.

Ok, I should be able to have the clips done tomorrow, and if not, the day after.

The footswitch is included. As a bonus, it doesn't need a special cable to connect it to the amp, it just uses a standard XLR cable (Microphone cable), which is nice in case it would break at a gig or just break period. Also, if you would need one of a different length, that's easily done.

The lowest I usually go is Drop C (CGCFAD). I've tried C standard, but it's a bit too loose for my liking. It gets fairly difficult to keep chords in tune. Drop C#/Db (Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb) wouldn't be a problem, as that and Db Standard are my usual tuning.

I can try out some different songs and riffs from artists you mentioned. I might just do a series of me playing some main riffs from certain songs with my amp EQ'd as close to that song as I can get, this way you can hear if it's versatile enough. It would also be good for future Vengeance references
Quote by Blktiger0
Ok, I should be able to have the clips done tomorrow, and if not, the day after.

The footswitch is included. As a bonus, it doesn't need a special cable to connect it to the amp, it just uses a standard XLR cable (Microphone cable), which is nice in case it would break at a gig or just break period. Also, if you would need one of a different length, that's easily done.

The lowest I usually go is Drop C (CGCFAD). I've tried C standard, but it's a bit too loose for my liking. It gets fairly difficult to keep chords in tune. Drop C#/Db (Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb) wouldn't be a problem, as that and Db Standard are my usual tuning.

I can try out some different songs and riffs from artists you mentioned. I might just do a series of me playing some main riffs from certain songs with my amp EQ'd as close to that song as I can get, this way you can hear if it's versatile enough. It would also be good for future Vengeance references

Thanks man! This is helping me a ton before I can test it out for myself!

Just one more question. I've researched it, and like no artist I can find use Egnater. Is that because it's newer or what? Most artists seem to use marshalls and mesa boogies.

Yeah the main riffs of a few songs would be fine. The one's I mentioned in the OP are the bands I listen to mostly.
Quote by its_alive
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
Thanks man! This is helping me a ton before I can test it out for myself!

Just one more question. I've researched it, and like no artist I can find use Egnater. Is that because it's newer or what? Most artists seem to use marshalls and mesa boogies.

Yeah the main riffs of a few songs would be fine. The one's I mentioned in the OP are the bands I listen to mostly.

No problem

They are a fairly new company, especially compared to Marshall and Mesa. The Vengeance and Armageddon amps just came out recently, and Egnater has only been around for about 30 years total, and they weren't necessarily making these amps that entire time. I'm pretty sure they started out with Modular stuff. Marshall and Mesa are much larger companies and can afford to hand out endorsements to tons of artists and give them perks like free amps and whatnot. Egnater doesn't have that kind of empire built yet.

I'll see what I can do
Shop around until you find a used 3 channel Dual Rectifier in your budget.

Failing that, the Peavey XXX II/JSX is also a very good amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Blktiger0
No problem

They are a fairly new company, especially compared to Marshall and Mesa. The Vengeance and Armageddon amps just came out recently, and Egnater has only been around for about 30 years total, and they weren't necessarily making these amps that entire time. I'm pretty sure they started out with Modular stuff. Marshall and Mesa are much larger companies and can afford to hand out endorsements to tons of artists and give them perks like free amps and whatnot. Egnater doesn't have that kind of empire built yet.

I'll see what I can do

Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification on that! The amp seems pretty promising so far to me. I'm really considering it more then I was.
Quote by its_alive
So I went up to guitar center today and tested on the Egnaters. Now I can't decided between the vengeance and the Armageddon. What do you guys think? What's the difference between them?
Quote by its_alive
Sorry about the clips, btw...I just haven't had time this week. Too much shit going on.

Anyway, I think the main differences are the Mids function, and the built in Decimator...I'll look more into it to be sure.
Quote by Blktiger0
Sorry about the clips, btw...I just haven't had time this week. Too much shit going on.

Anyway, I think the main differences are the Mids function, and the built in Decimator...I'll look more into it to be sure.

It's no problem don't worry about.

Yeah I'm trying to decide which is better. They both sound a lot alike. I mean, the Armageddon costs more so I figured there is some kinda significant difference.
Quote by its_alive
Last edited by Legend Jedicsc at Mar 2, 2012,
The main differences are that the Armageddon is a "3" Channel amp, it has more in-depth mid controls, it has the built-in Decimator, it has only one Master Volume, a different footswitch, and I think that's all. It might have some MIDI features in the back as well.

The only thing about this amp that makes me not want it is the ALMOST 3rd channel. The lack of a separate EQ kinda ruins it. I mean, it has it's own switches, volume, and gain, but that's still limiting. The built-in decimator is kinda nice, but I really think the Vengeance is a better value. You get all of the great features of the amp, although some are stripped down a bit.

It's really a taste thing, but I wouldn't go for it just because of the "3rd" channel. I mean, it could be useful, but I really don't see it being much more than a more specific solo boost.

Honestly, I wanted a 3-channel amp, but when it comes down to it, you rarely NEED a 3 channel amp. There are times where it might be a convenience, but I don't really know of any songs that require clean, crunch, and high-gain all in one song that have to have separate EQ's. If they need the same EQ, just dial in the high-gain and roll your guitar volume down to reduce the gain.

Like I said though, it's all about what tickles your fancy. If you would prefer the Armageddon, go for that one. If you don't need the extra features, or would like to save money, go for the Vengeance. There are enough features on that to keep you happy for ever.
Second vote for the Carvin V3. 3 channels . Switchable wattage 100-50-25. Bias switch for EL34 or 5881/6L6 power amp tubes. Expanded EQ switchable for each channel. Volume boost control. 3 position voicing switch for each channel. Midi control or 2 different foot switches available (needed for boost control). Two effects loops one Series and one parallel. Line out with level control and switchable cabinet voicing to drive a mixer board.
And some fluff as well, there are 3 different led colors to light the amp guts with. Comes as a head or a 2x12 combo. Head is $949.

The only bad thing is you can't drive somewhere to test it out unless you live in San Diego CA.
Page 1 of 2