so today, after playing guitar for about 2 years, i learned that anchoring is bad.
so i was wondering what i can do to stop touching any part of the guitar with the picking hand, and any suggestions?
also, if you are not touching the strings, how do you mute the unwanted strings from vibrating?
i do use circular picking
I used to anchor too.
I made a basic exercise.

e|---0---0--0---0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0---0

16th at slow tempo (I mean, very slow). Without anchoring.
You can touch the strings with your palm. You can also rest your forearm on the body.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
what is the consequence of anchoring? i think i can still play quite fast while doing it..
Quote by schylarker
what is the consequence of anchoring? i think i can still play quite fast while doing it..

Limited movement
bump. I'm doing research on this right now, and I'm not finding enough to encourage me to change. I play music with a lot of palm muting inbetween complex picking patterns. its easy to move my palm when resting on the bridge forward the slightest to go back and forth.
Ughh..... this thread again.....

Anchoring is bad when it creates tension. If you aren't experiencing extra tension, you're fine to do just about anything you want.
Problem is, you may not think you're creating tension because you're concentrating on something else, but sooner or later you're gonna develop aches and pains in your hand and wrist.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Quote by DimeBomb
John Petrucci does it. so it's good enough for me.

Fail. Lol, so if Petrucci went on stage with some underwear on his head you would as well?

@TS: It might take a while to learn how to play without anchoring but it will be well worth it. I also used to anchor for about one year, then when i became interested in faster stuff i just HAD to get rid of it.
Quote by DimeBomb
John Petrucci does it. so it's good enough for me.

But he's noticeably tense whenever he plays anything moderately fast. He's one of my favorite guitarists, but his technique is far from perfect.

TS, there's nothing wrong with touching the guitar body or the strings as long as your hand isn't fixed there and it doesn't create tension.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
if you look at Takayoshi Ohmura, who i think has a very very well developed right hand technique, i can see that he kinda holds on to his guitar with his pinky. does this count as anchoring?
most of them are not anchoring just dont keep their hand curled upso the fingers are brushing the pickguard. as for petrucci when hr goes real fast he looks uncomfortable and stiffens his whole arm
But this goes up to 11
none of those guys anchor (maybe the second picture), so if your trying to put up pictures to prove that you shouldnt anchor, then good job. There is no way in hell zakk wylde could anchor and play the solo to suffering overdue, he would rip a tendon.

proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JDV5ztpDGbI#t=192s

also, your very confused, putting your hand on the bridge is not anchoring, it is REQUIRED when you are playing live. Do you have any idea how much the strings you are not hitting will ring out when you are amplified loud enough to play over a drummer? It's called muting and nows a good time to start.
Quote by hansome21
none of those guys anchor (maybe the second picture), so if your trying to put up pictures to prove that you shouldnt anchor, then good job. There is no way in hell zakk wylde could anchor and play the solo to suffering overdue, he would rip a tendon.

proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JDV5ztpDGbI#t=192s

also, your very confused, putting your hand on the bridge is not anchoring, it is REQUIRED when you are playing live. Do you have any idea how much the strings you are not hitting will ring out when you are amplified loud enough to play over a drummer? It's called muting and nows a good time to start.

Yeah, you're right about Zakk, my mistake.

But if I'm not blind, and achoring means touching the body of the guitar with your little finger, douglas does anchor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXr1TDzViBk (min. 2:28 close up on the hand)
Same for stevie ray vaughan, look at min. 1:12 to 1:20, it seems he is touching the body of the guitar with the little finger.
Quote by Michele_R

But if I'm not blind, and achoring means touching the body of the guitar with your little finger, douglas does anchor:

Same for stevie ray vaughan, look at min. 1:12 to 1:20, it seems he is touching the body of the guitar with the little finger.

Nah dude, anchoring means applying unnecesary pressure to the guitar with your picking hand usually for the purpouse of using this as a reference or pivot point, this in turn increases tension and risk of injury.

Bad Habit no matter who the hell does it.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
I see a lot of pictures of famous guitarists smoking and doing drugs, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Junior#1

TS, there's nothing wrong with touching the guitar body or the strings as long as your hand isn't fixed there and it doesn't create tension.

That's what I heard too. And if you'd force your picking forarm to not even so much as lean and put it's weight on the guitar body, your shoulder will be the one to be tense and painful.
You can rest your forearm (and palm to mute strings) to rid it of carrying it's own weight, but you don't have to, and shouldn't use actuall muscle force to press into the guitar. This way you won't be creating extra tension.
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
Quote by Michele_R

again, that clip you showed, he is NOT anchoring. He is muting the strings so you dont hear the e or b strings every time he hits a note. The amount of vibrations (sound) that a huge amplifier and speaker put out are enough to make every string on your guitar vibrate without you touching them at all. If you played any song very loud without muting, all your strings would ring. It is actually the most difficult part about playing with a band. You literally have to shut up your guitar with your hand, or else everything will just ring, ring, ring all day and no one will hear what notes your really trying to play.

Read ZZ tops interview in the 70's(?) about how they watched hendrix's hand at woodstock to realize that you can actually control a huge fuzzy and distorted sound. Hendrix started muting (as far as I know) so that way he could crank it up to 11, put on distortion (which was fuzz at the time) and still play crystal clear.

TL;DR Anchoring = bad (not saying you wont be able to play, but it will limit movement, muting, and even pinch harmonics as well as add unneeded stress to your hand)

Muting = Good. Can't play without it live unless your playing with 0 gain and semi low volume.

Just clearing stuff up
As a classical guitar player, I though of something very different with anchoring. Anchoring is putting your thumb in a place where it will be needed soon, or where it is out of the way. In most cases you shouldn't leave it floating in the air. The same goes for the electric guitar, you need to anchor to tell where you are on the guitar in relation to all the strings.

And you're not supposed to put any pressure on the guitar when you do. As a matter of fact, a half decent guitar player- or even a bad guitar player really- should be able to lay their hand on the guitar for simple rhythm parts, and raise their palm a half centimeter in the air to move freely and traverse some stings if need be. It's not rocket science and it's not inhibiting at all.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't seem to understand the definition of anchoring according to this thread. Why in the hell would you put pressure on the body with your pinky?
Last edited by CF_Mono at Feb 28, 2012,