Hello All,

I've recently begun to play lead/rhythm guitar with my church worship team and they use the Aviom system for monitors when playing. I'm looking for a decent pair of earbuds that will work decently but not break the bank. I don't really have a set price range, but I'm looking for the best bang for my buck I guess you could say. Any suggestions would be awesome.. I appreciate it!
Schecter C-1 Custom
Squier Affinity Strat
Line6 POD HD500
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Polytune 2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Tech21 Power Engine 60
i love my skull candy 50/50's there were like £45 in HMV tho...you can get cheapish skull candy earbuds and they all sound awesome
IMO, I wouldn't touch a pair of Skull Candy buds unless you're ready to replace them frequently. I'm fairly diligent with my personal possessions and no matter what I did, my SC buds always gave out at the headphone jack. I've spoke to many people with the same issue.

Look into some decent Sony buds. I was always anti-Sony (firgued you're just buying the name), until just recently. I only have Sony cans atm, but they've completely changed my perspective on their quality. Best cans I've ever owned/used.
ear buds are very damaging to your hearing.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
ear buds are very damaging to your hearing.

Nonsense.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
IEM's will turn your guitar sound to mush with the wrong earbuds. If you don't car about that, then you can use anything you want. Shure and Carvin have inexpensive IEM earbuds.

I use dual driver earbuds from JH, but they're VERY expensive. However, they translate the sound very well, sound awesome with my ipod, and offer EXCELLENT sound isolation.

Don't ever make the mistake of wearing one IEM bud and leaving the other ear open. You will destroy your hearing if you do that.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Don't ever make the mistake of wearing one IEM bud and leaving the other ear open. You will destroy your hearing if you do that.

More nonsense...
Charles Darwin
Elacin ER-20s, the small-form version for my girlish ear canals.
404: Sig not found.
This question begs for quite a variety of answers as we can see here. I've been on praise and worship bands for almost 6 years and have used IEMs for all of them. The answer for you personally depends on budget, taste, and environment. For a budget under $100 (like me) I just purchased a pair of Ultimate Ears by LogiTech as an everyday set and for recording at home. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on stage, either. They are very clear, responsive, and have a good amount of bass. If your budget is up to about $200, Monster has some great products on the market within that range. Beats by Dre Audio also have a set of in-ears that have great sound quality and make for good IEMs. If you have the luxury of spending $300 or more, I have two companies I've used the most on stage at church. The first is Shure; Shure has created a line of amazing, high-performance in-ear monitors that far out do the competitors when it comes to most aspects of IEMs. Their products are comfortable, durable, responsive, clear, and depending on which specific set you buy, have great bass response. Albeit a big pricey and overrated, you will always get what you paid for from Shure.
The 2nd high-end company I've used is Westone. Westone is very similar to Shure but they usually cost less in parallel to their Shure counterparts. However, you can hear the price difference, in my opinion. Either way, when you're doling out $300+ for a set of IEMs, you're going to have a great experience either way. Thank God my church just provides Shures for us when we play!

These are all great products from reliable brands. But if you even think about considering Bose or Apple's earbuds, you will die. End of story.

Cheerio!

_BigRiver
Quote by Arby911
More nonsense...
you're talking about one IEM instead of using two...here is why this is bad

(this is pruned from a forum post someplace else...these are not my words)

Wearing one earpiece is bad for your hearing because you are forcing your brain to listen to 2 different sources. Its called dichoctic listening and it strains your brain. Your ears are not 50/50, meaning they dont contribute 50% each side to hearing. They are more like 40/40 and then your brain puts the signal together, this is called BINAURAL SUMMATION. You will listen at lower volume levels using both earphones. My classic example ...what do you do with your open ear when you are trying to use your cell phone in a loud environment...most answer right away "I plug my open ear".
It forces you to adjust your volume (in ear) to over power the volume of the ambient. It doesnt make sense to step away from the wedge if your are not willing to wear both earphones.

in other words...if the point of IEMs is to reduce stage volume and save your hearing, then it is pointless to do it if you're only willing to use one ear since you will crank that one to compensate

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13

Wearing one earpiece is bad for your hearing because you are forcing your brain to listen to 2 different sources. Its called dichoctic listening and it strains your brain. Your ears are not 50/50, meaning they dont contribute 50% each side to hearing. They are more like 40/40 and then your brain puts the signal together, this is called BINAURAL SUMMATION. You will listen at lower volume levels using both earphones. My classic example ...what do you do with your open ear when you are trying to use your cell phone in a loud environment...most answer right away "I plug my open ear".
It forces you to adjust your volume (in ear) to over power the volume of the ambient. It doesnt make sense to step away from the wedge if your are not willing to wear both earphones.

in other words...if the point of IEMs is to reduce stage volume and save your hearing, then it is pointless to do it if you're only willing to use one ear since you will crank that one to compensate
This, and to be honest, if you're going to use IEM's, don't settle for crappy ones. A good pair will give you clarity in your mix so that you can actually tell what you're playing. Like some of the other guys said, bad earbuds will just turn your mix to mush. Your guitar can be loud, but it won't cut well so you won't be able to tell what you're playing. You'll just know that you're playing something. Westone makes some decent dual driver ears for about $200. Below that, I can't really give you any recommendations since I don't have any experience in that regard, but you can probably find something workable.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Thanks guys for the suggestions and input. I'll definitely take everything into consideration when shopping around.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Squier Affinity Strat
Line6 POD HD500
TC Electronic Polytune 2
Tech21 Power Engine 60
Quote by roamingbard13

The only thing that damages hearing (excluding physical trauma) is excessive volume for extended periods. Wearing a single IEM won't damage your hearing, but turning it up too loud will. Two very different things...

I understand your point, and did before you posted it, but it's not the equivalent of what you initially posted.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
The only thing that damages hearing (excluding physical trauma) is excessive volume for extended periods. Wearing a single IEM won't damage your hearing, but turning it up too loud will. Two very different things...

I understand your point, and did before you posted it, but it's not the equivalent of what you initially posted.

I guess I just had too much faith in people to draw conclusions, or at least ask why I guess roamingbard was the only one nice enough to do so. Do I have to explain why I tell people not to drive drunk?

Wearing a single IEM tends to make people turn up the receiver, and hence, excessive volume in one ear.

Instead of just saying it's "nonsense" it might have been helpful to expand on my post for others... I'm not a sound engineering genius, so yes, I missed something, but at least I tried to help.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Feb 28, 2012,
Yeah I did some looking around and a lot of people recommend the Shure SE315s... but I did more digging and a lot of people went with the 215s instead and they are only $100
Schecter C-1 Custom
Squier Affinity Strat
Line6 POD HD500
TC Electronic Polytune 2
Tech21 Power Engine 60
Love my Etymotic mc5's.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse