So part of this new song I'm writing is going to be a little chromatic thing. Although I don't really know what chords to use, I can find chords for any other given key or what have you, but chords for this section seem to be random. I've just been picking random notes to play and changing them however to get a chord. I want it to sound dissonant though, unpleasant.

So yeah, not really sure what to do.
Add some "hardcore screaming" or...whatever Meshuggah's singer does ("AGH AGH AGH AGH"...I can't deny they can play their instruments but the vocals are just nonsensical) over it. That'll make it unpleasant-sounding. Otherwise, you could use a diminished chord(IE 2 on the low E, 3 on the A, 4 on the D, 5 on the G or something to that effect).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by BoringUsername
So part of this new song I'm writing is going to be a little chromatic thing. Although I don't really know what chords to use, I can find chords for any other given key or what have you, but chords for this section seem to be random. I've just been picking random notes to play and changing them however to get a chord. I want it to sound dissonant though, unpleasant.

So yeah, not really sure what to do.

Look up Rob Jarzombek's Oscillation Cycles vid. That shows you how to use all twelve notes equally. I think that is what you are looking for. If you are looking for dissonant chords, diminished, augmented, diminished seventh, et cetera.

Here we are!
|-----0-0-----0--0------0-----0-0-----0-0------0----|
|-----8-8-----9--9------5-----8-8-----7-7------6----|
|-----9-9----10-10-----6-----9-9-----8-8------7----|
|-------------------------------------------------------|
|-7--------8---------4------7------6---------5-------|
|-0--------0---------0------0------0---------0-------|

That's it, but it repeats a halfstep lower
Well, you could use augmented chords, or as others have said diminished chords. For a jazzier feel you could use a 7 #9 chord otherwise known as the "Hendrix Chord" or a 7 b9. Maybe even a minor major seventh (in the key of C it's: C Eb G B). Half-Whole diminished seventh chords (I.E. a minor seventh b5) would work. Dominant sevenths would be interesting. Maybe even aug 9ths. Major sevenths work, because of the leading tone between the 7th and the 1, or a major 7th b5. I'll try and think of more.

Or Augmented Major Sevenths. You can listen to Tempting Time by Animal As Leaders for an example.
To me, just using your chords and the overall progression I like the minor major 7ths the best, but that's just me.
Last edited by JazzGuy111 at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by BoringUsername
|-----0-0-----0--0------0-----0-0-----0-0------0----|
|-----8-8-----9--9------5-----8-8-----7-7------6----|
|-----9-9----10-10-----6-----9-9-----8-8------7----|
|-------------------------------------------------------|
|-7--------8---------4------7------6---------5-------|
|-0--------0---------0------0------0---------0-------|

That's it, but it repeats a halfstep lower

the shifting minor chords imply that going diminished will go with this bit
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Feb 27, 2012,