I've noticed that depending on the song I'm singing, I change the quality of my tone and the way I pronounce words (i.e. from an Alter Bridge [metal] song to a Gungor [folky] song). Is this normal? And also, will my voice still be recognizably me even through this stylization?
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
There are certainly different vocal styles for different genres. This can happen from trying to replicate the original artists style. I would suggest trying to find a style you like best and what fits you and stick with it for everything you sing to make it your own. After you do that, try singing without the recording and focusing on the way YOU want to sing it.
Thanks! I prefer singing with the folky tone, but when I sing the metal songs, this obviously doesn't work. Haha. I tend to take a more bel canto oriented approach for the metal songs, so I have to shape my words differently, is this normal?
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Yeah. Vocal teachers will preach what's called vowel placement, things like "oh","ah","eh","le". You always want to make sure your eyebrows are raised and everything in your throat is open. It depends on where you place those vowels on what word you're singing for what sound you are going to get. I'm sure you can find videos on youtube about proper vowel placement. Most pop singers completely ignore vowel placement and that's where you get a nasaly sound in your voice. Layne Staley of Alice In Chains always comes to mind when I think of nasaly singing! Lol
I've been in choir since 7th grade, and am working with an opera singer in my other voice classes, so fortunately, I got drilled with vowel placement and facial mask structure. Haha. Thank you so much for your speedy and helpful replies. ^,^

P.S. Layne happens to be one of my favorite singers. XD
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Amps- Egnater, Bogner