If you were to rate my theory knowledge from 0 being nothing.....to 100 being a complete understanding of theory, where would you rate me?

-Im fluent with the circle of fiths and know all keys
-I know minor, major, and harmonic/melodic minor scales
-I understand the concept of modes and how one creates them
-I understand all chords within various keys (major and minor anyway)
-I understand some voice leading and all that flair .....

What am I missing? What else should be learned
i don't get why i see these posts day after day asking "when can i stop learning about music"...you'll never stop, you learn something everyday, including learning how much you don't know something. it seems like you have a solid grasp on the basics, which is great, but don't put a cap on anything, there is always going to be more
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
For knowledge of ALL theory? A 12 is being generous. Usable, "rock band / session theory? 25. Knowing them and being able to use them are totally different. Knowledge is useless if you don't use it.

^Haha that sounds so ridiculous but whatever.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Quote by Go0ber

-I understand the concept of modes and how one creates them

Please explain
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
oh look, it's the guy who makes useless threads and flies off the handle when people don't tell him exactly what he wants to hear.

we didn't miss you.
thats what I thought was all to until I started taking music theory at school you have alot to learn my friend I would suggest taking lessons or learning from a school
I'm Bored.

tumblr
<- follow me
Quote by Slashiepie
Please explain

indeed. if you get it right, you might actually get over a 10. if not, you're sticking to the single digits.

stop worrying about quantity, and more about quality. hell, i think i would be lucky if i scored a 50. douchebag or not, i know my shit. but i still have a lot more to learn.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
^Agreed. 5 years of academic learning at some top schools, yet I probably score a 20.

OP: You're talking theory. Theory involves analyzing classical pieces. How fugues work. How sonatas work. And way, way deeper than that.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
so I guess rock and metal is a complete joke compared to classical and baroque music? What about jazz and blues ?
lol ts, arent you the guy who wanted to be like slash and have your strap hanging off your testicles?

well, im gone.

x -1

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by iidunno
so I guess rock and metal is a complete joke compared to classical and baroque music? What about jazz and blues ?

jazz is pretty close to classical music in terms of complexity. blues is at about the level of rock, more or less.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by :-D
oh look, it's the guy who makes useless threads and flies off the handle when people don't tell him exactly what he wants to hear.

we didn't miss you.

Nice trolling bro
Quote by chronowarp
I'd say about 8.

- possibly 9.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
You seem to have looked at areas of 'theory' that are helpful to guitar players and that's the stuff we all seem to end up learning.
Can you read notation?
can you notate melodic minor/harmonic minor/major scales correctly?
Can you transpose for other instruments?
Do you know figured bass?
Do you know intervals and how to notate them?
Sonata form? Binary form? Ritornello? etc etc

There's soooooo many topics I could go on but my knowledge is probably only about 6 or 7 of 100!
The theory knowledge you have is taught to all 16 year olds in highschool. At least that was how it was when I was in highschool. So you tell me how much you know?
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by AeolianWolf

stop worrying about quantity, and more about quality.

This,
why are you learning theory? are you trying to learn enough to play guitar in a rock band, or are you planning on composing symphonies?

basically it isn't what you know its what you do with it and if you only need to know x amount who cares if you understand the rest of it. if you plan on just playing AC/DC style songs you really don't need to understand how modes work and weather or not you can write a part for the piano.

in the end it's just theory, I'm not trying to argue against it as I think basic theory helps all musicians but there is a point where it no longer helps you to achieve your next goal. so in the end who cares how much you know, just keep expanding till you reach your goal, then determine wheather you want to keep ascending the mountain that is music theory.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.