My band finally got a bassist a few weeks ago (yay!) but his bass is.....not very healthy. His main instrument is trumpet so he doesn't know alot about basses and bass rigs (He's really good though) and I only know what I can transfer from guitar rigs. I know it's kind of vague, but can I get some suggestions for his rigs.
Heres the "guidelines" or whatever you call em:
Genre: Progressive Metal ala Protest the Hero, BTBAM and Cynic
Price Range: He said around $1000-$1500 maybe abit more combined
Other: He likes Ibanez basses and he said he wants a 5-string. We're in Houston Tx if that helps. Thanks in advance!
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Between The Buried And Me. Progressive Death-Jazz-Metal....and alot of other stuff.
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
sr 505, and an acoustic b800 with the 8x10 cab. set for life
I play cheap guitars, and proud of it.
I looked on craigslist and found an sr 305. Is that similar? I see that its a 5-string
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
It's similar but much lower quality.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
SR505, Acoustic Stack with a 8X10
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
If he likes ibanez, keep an eye on craigslist for an older ibanez sr, you can get Japanese made ones for peanuts used. Failing that the 505 is a good choice if thats his thing.

And you can do much better than Acoustic in that price range.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks!! He got the fender rumble 75 with the tilt back because we all agreed that it sounded better than the acoustic despite not being as loud (it is very loud though, especially when its tilted). He changed his mind about the 5 string so he's going for the 4 string equivalent of the sr505. Thanks guys!!
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by sonny bb
I looked on craigslist and found an sr 305. Is that similar? I see that its a 5-string

Same thing generally, they'll use Agathis for the bodies (so no trans or nat finishes and it weighs more than it's mahogany counterpart) and the necks aren't as stable but if you take care of it, it'll play and sound just the same.

I have a 305 and it doesn't play any different than a 505, but 505s tend to be lighter. the appearance is subjective, I say it can go either way.
Last edited by CJ Noble at Mar 7, 2012,
Cool. I think thats actually the one he settled ( the 300 or 305) on. Like I said, I don't know too much about basses
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by CJ Noble
Same thing generally, they'll use Agathis for the bodies (so no trans or nat finishes and it weighs more than it's mahogany counterpart) and the necks aren't as stable but if you take care of it, it'll play and sound just the same.

I have a 305 and it doesn't play any different than a 505, but 505s tend to be lighter. the appearance is subjective, I say it can go either way.

So different woods, pickups, preamp and hardware. But pretty much the same thing yeah?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Mar 10, 2012,