Page 1 of 5
Has anybody ever heard a single from an artist's upcoming album and thought it was amazing and, upon buying the album, found out it's the only good song off the whole album?

My vote goes for Audioslaves 'Revelations'
The single+title track was amazing, IMO. However, the rest of the album was abit 'meh'

Although 'Original Fire' was a pretty decent single, it was kind of derivative and unoriginal (apart from Tom Morello's solo).

So, which albums do you have this opinion of? Links to the singles would be nice aswell.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
It's usually the other way around for me, because singles are usually the most radio-friendly songs on the album.
Check out my band Disturbed
Not really a single but Critter by Steel Panther was the only played song before the album was released. Loads of videos of them playing it live. When I got the album, it was by far the best song. The rest was pretty boring.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by StewieSwan
It's usually the other way around for me, because singles are usually the most radio-friendly songs on the album.

This.

I can think of a couple of Maiden albums though; basically everything they did in the 90s was shit, but there were a few great tracks. Fear of the Dark, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, the Clansman, and a few others were good.
Eh. Nowadays, I hardly ever listen to bands who are known for pounding out singles. But when I do listen to those types of albums, the singles usually aren't my favorite tracks.
Atreyu's Lead Sails, Paper Anchors kind of disappointed me. I heard 'Becoming the Bull' on the radio and liked it so I bought the cd and there were only a couple other songs I actually liked on it, but then I grew into the rest. Miss their old shit though. that was a while ago obviously lol, but since then it's been the other way around mostly, I hear a single and then get the cd and I'm like "holy hell, why didn't they play these songs on the radio!".
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
I'm the same as most here. Not a problem that would affect me anymore.
However I could include examples from when I was a kid.
That D4 Song Get Loose or whatever made me want to buy the album, and I did and it was shit. Same goes with Orgy and Punk Static Paranoia. Wasn't a shit album when I was a kid, but it was definitely disappointing.
Eye Alaska's first EP was awesome. Their album is total shit and I think they should quit music forever because of it.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by due 07

It's ok though.

In this case it's 6 songs I heard before the album that made me think it was going to be the best shizz of the year.
Then the middle of the album happened. Agreed. It's okay but incredibly disappointing. Summertime Sadness near the end helps, though (even though the live version is far superior).
Quote by due 07

It's ok though.

I could have sworn that said 'Born to Due' at first.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
The singles usually appeal to me more, but eventually the whole album grows on me and i end up loving all the songs. This happens with about every Tragically Hip album I have ever gotten.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
In this case it's 6 songs I heard before the album that made me think it was going to be the best shizz of the year.
Then the middle of the album happened. Agreed. It's okay but incredibly disappointing. Summertime Sadness near the end helps, though (even though the live version is far superior).

Ya, it's a decent album but erryone was lead to believe it was gonna be the best fuck there ever was.

Quote by mosca
I could have sworn that said 'Born to Due' at first.

Sigh. I wish.
I used to buy albums from singles that I heard on the radio at work sometimes. The Black Maria was for sure the worst. I liked the single "Betrayal" for reasons you can easily guess but I HATED the rest of the album. Finished the album out of spite and literally threw it out my car window on the way to work the next day. (I find that to be the best way to communicate - THIS ALBUM BLOWS!!! - to the universe)
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by Crazyedd123
Has anybody ever heard a single from an artist's upcoming album and thought it was amazing and, upon buying the album, found out it's the only good song off the whole album?

My vote goes for Audioslaves 'Revelations'
The single+title track was amazing, IMO. However, the rest of the album was abit 'meh'

Although 'Original Fire' was a pretty decent single, it was kind of derivative and unoriginal (apart from Tom Morello's solo).

So, which albums do you have this opinion of? Links to the singles would be nice aswell.
I was about to say "no" until you mentioned Revelations.
Quote by due 07
Ya, it's a decent album but erryone was lead to believe it was gonna be the best fuck there ever was.

Exactly. It's amazing up until National Anthem. Dark Paradise is pretty good, then Radio, Carmen and Million Dollar Man are such killjoys. Summertime Sadness comes back to kick some ass, then the weakest song ends the entire album.
Hey Due, speaking Eye Alaska... you'd totes like them.

I hope using your new fangled slang will entice you to click that link.
Quote by Eastwinn
Hey Due, speaking Eye Alaska... you'd totes like them.

I hope using your new fangled slang will entice you to click that link.

I do not like this. It's the thought that counts tho.
Quote by TheReverend724
even the single was garbage

haha true true. I sang it a lot but hated every minute of it.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Quote by due 07
I do not like this. It's the thought that counts tho.

I have failed you.
Porcupine Tree's album The Incident is worse than their other recent albums, save the only single: Time Flies. Tbh, that isn't exactly their best work either...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Pablo Honey
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Emperor's Child
Porcupine Tree's album The Incident is worse than their other recent albums, save the only single: Time Flies.

Honestly, am I the only person that likes this album?
Absolutely everybody but me has shat all over it. I don't think it's their best or anything but I still enjoyed it.
Quote by bradulator

I like a lot of songs from that album...

Quote by Jon777
Thanks for saving me the trouble. I was actually planning on checking this out at some point. >___>

It's definitely worth listening to, if you like pop music.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Feb 27, 2012,
Quote by Stevenxm32
Megadeth- Th1rt3en

I thought some of the lead work was pretty cool, but overall, yeah, it wasn't a good CD, especially for Megadeth.

I don't know if Chinese Democracy was a single, but it was the only song I heard off the album before I bought it, and it was the only one worth listening to.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Honestly, am I the only person that likes this album?
Absolutely everybody but me has shat all over it. I don't think it's their best or anything but I still enjoyed it.
Good? Yes. But I think it's far less consistent than FOABP or Deadwing for example.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by neidnarb11890
He said "because the single was great"...

If you don't like "Creep" then you're one of those cunts who is a cunt about music just because they feel like being a cunt.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Emperor's Child
Good? Yes. But I think it's far less consistent than FOABP or Deadwing for example.

That's true. Fear of a Blank Planet's brilliant. I'd go as far to say it's even their best. Yeah I said it. Beautiful album.
Quote by ChamsRock

I don't know if Chinese Democracy was a single, but it was the only song I heard off the album before I bought it, and it was the only one worth listening to.

Shackler's Revenge.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
It wasn't the single, but I first heard Edge of Desire off Battle Studies by John Mayer and expected his best album yet.

I was disappoint.
Ye, I was going to mention FTP, but I forgot most of the songs.

Pumped up Kicks is okay but doesn't really deserve the hype. The album itself was not really worth it. Plus it had absolutely no artwork on the inside.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by TheReverend724
even the single was garbage

I hope you can run faster than my bullet.

Quote by Jon777
Thanks for saving me the trouble. I was actually planning on checking this out at some point. >___>

Quote by breadstick
I like a lot of songs from that album...

Helena Beat, Pumped Up Kicks, and Waste are the only ones that are really good. The others are either meh or bore me. The album isn't bad, it's just bland and uninspired.

Quote by lushacrous
If you don't like "Creep" then you're one of those cunts who is a **** about music just because they feel like being a ****.

My nigga.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Page 1 of 5