I love the sound of the Blackstar HT series amps. I was looking at getting either the HT 20 or the HT 40. What are the biggest differences between these two amps, other than the wattage. I have a vast array of musical preferences. Going from blues to metal (btbam, devil wears prada, etc.) Mainly an at home player. Thanks in advance.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
The only thing that I can really think of that would be different is volume and headroom. Obviously an amp with higher wattage will be more powerful and be louder, but will also require the amp to be pushed harder before the tubes start to break up. On the lower wattage amp the opposite is true.

edit: Have you played both? Go with the one you like more.
IMO, since you are playing at home, you will probably be better off with the lower watt version. That way you still get all the tone without the added volume that you probably don't need. On the other hand, if you plan on gigging, it would probably be a better idea to get the higher wattage amp for the extra volume. They are both pretty loud though, a 20 or 40 watt tube amp is nothing to sneeze at, even with a master volume.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Feb 27, 2012,
You can get more power amp distortion out of the 20 and use less of that hybrid preamp fizz than the 40.
For blues I'd get the 20, for metal the 40 but tbh I'd probably just get a real amp instead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You can get more power amp distortion out of the 20 and use less of that hybrid preamp fizz than the 40.
For blues I'd get the 20, for metal the 40 but tbh I'd probably just get a real amp instead.

A real amp? Come on dude those things are wicked! You don't need to have a 100w half stack to have a "real amp"
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
As far as the real amp comment, give reference to a "real" amp. I really liked the blackstars when I played them. Honestly my mood determines what I want to play. Lately though it has been metal. I do not plan on gigging anytime soon, however I see that the price difference used is only about $80 USD. It might be worth it just to get the 40 in case of metal mood. I've heard that the 20 can handle metal no problem though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
Line 6 M13
Quote by stonyman65
A real amp? Come on dude those things are wicked! You don't need to have a 100w half stack to have a "real amp"

Half of the TS's here seem to think so
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
do you still have the dsl? if so, tonally they won't be that different, and the dsl is better. i don't see the reason for the ht.
If it sounds good and you like it than buy it. Who cares if it is a hybrid or not.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
I love the dsl, but financial problems have caused me to get rid of it. I am looking for a good tube amp, that will handle a variety of tones and do so well. If Blackstar's are not what I am looking for then what would compare. Personally I am not a fan of the hybrid amps, however, they sound very nice. My price range is 5-600 USD.
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Feb 27, 2012,
One word - Fizz.

'nuff said.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The only place I want to see fizz is in my beer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The only place I want to see fizz is in my beer.

amen brother.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
**** fizz in my beer, thats the sign of a bad pour
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Well, if you want blues to metal and you want it cheap, look for a used Peavey XXX combo on craigslist, ebay and such. It won't sound like your DSL, and it won't be super-authentic for blues (but workable), but as far as good sound and versatility for a decent price go, it's a winner.

Tell us where you are located (closest major city) and we'll check what used stuff is available in your area.
Quote by lbj273
**** fizz in my beer, thats the sign of a bad pour

You're thinking of foam, although a good foamy head is the sign of a good beer, regardless of a pour.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by bobafettacheese
I am looking for a good tube amp, that will handle a variety of tones and do so well. If Blackstar's are not what I am looking for then what would compare. Personally I am not a fan of the hybrid amps, however, they sound very nice. My price range is 5-600 USD.

i'm not sure that paragraph makes sense. you say you want a tube amp. you say you aren't a fan of hybrids. yet you say they sound very nice.

wut?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
id say peavey vypyr tube 60, peavey 6505 112, or the jet city 50 watt combo for $599.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A