I searchbar'd and found nothing (on the first page).
Does anybody here have parents who have split up? Who got custody of you/who did you decide to live with? When in your life did they split up? Do you think it affected you positively or negatively?

Those are the main questions I'm curious about. I may add more as the thread goes on.

Yes. My mom. When I was about 8. Negatively.
My dad doesn't really provide much financial support. I don't really see him that much and it makes it hard to actually enjoy being around him. However, I don't really like him that much. He's very opinionated and racist, plus he sometimes hit us when we were younger, and it was for relatively minor things.

I love my mom very much and I'll always help her around the house, although I usually make a fuss about it as a joke. My mom earns much less than my dad and she had to raise me and my brother mostly by herself.

Rant over.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Yes they are split up

I live with my mom

It has neither been positive or negative, simply the way things are and have always been.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by moscaespañol
We have this thread.

sort of.

Ah, sorry.

What's it called?
Is it specifically about this subject? Cos I've seen a 'marriage' thread but thought this wouldn't really fit into it.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Mine split when I was about two because my dad apparently got drunk and broke stuff. I don't really remember it. My dad tries to get me to go fishing but I honestly haven't talked to him in months. It hasn't really affected me, my step dad is like my father, sort of.
Quote by Crazyedd123
Ah, sorry.

What's it called?
Is it specifically about this subject? Cos I've seen a 'marriage' thread but thought this wouldn't really fit into it.

I don't know, but Madcap made it, but it's more about the societal effect and cause for divorce, rather that the children's.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by moscaespañol
I don't know, but Madcap made it, but it's more about the societal effect and cause for divorce, rather that the children's.

Ah, I remember that thread.

Ye, I'd say mine is abit different.
This is more about personal experiences and living through the split-ups.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Yes, my mom got custody since my dad is a drug addict who can't even pay for himself. It would have affected me negatively but I got an awesome although very annoying and frustratingly cheat step father.
Mine, thankfully, are still together. It seems like people are just divorcing everyone around here. I attribute my parents' marriage of 25+ years partly (not completely) to the fact that we are churchgoing people, and it seems like around here, if you're married more than 10 years, you've been going to church longer than that.

That's not meant to start some huge debate or anything, but something I noticed.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
My mom raised me a single parent. My Dad tried to reconnect with me when I was 13ish. First time I'd seen him in my entire life. He has 3 of his own kids, the oldest of which is a few months younger than me. AFAIK they have no idea they're related to me or that I even exist. He gave me $50 and told me not to tell my mom he gave me money until after he was gone. Told my mom after he was gone and decided to give it to charity because I'm not letting anyone buy their way into my life. He stopped replying to my emails a few months later so I guess he wasn't too sincere in wanting back in my life. No big loss. I don't consider him to be my dad anyway.
Quote by devourke
My mom raised me a single parent. My Dad tried to reconnect with me when I was 13ish. First time I'd seen him in my entire life. He has 3 of his own kids, the oldest of which is a few months younger than me. AFAIK they have no idea they're related to me or that I even exist. He gave me $50 and told me not to tell my mom he gave me money until after he was gone. Told my mom after he was gone and decided to give it to charity because I'm not letting anyone buy their way into my life. He stopped replying to my emails a few months later so I guess he wasn't too sincere in wanting back in my life. No big loss. I don't consider him to be my dad anyway.

My dad has a son from his marriage before my mom's, he's actually a pretty cool guy. Gave me a decent album to listen to. In fact, when we go to see our dad, I secretly hope he's there, so things are a bit easier.

Do you have a step-dad or anything? Basically, some kind of father-figure.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Quote by Crazyedd123
My dad has a son from his marriage before my mom's, he's actually a pretty cool guy. Gave me a decent album to listen to. In fact, when we go to see our dad, I secretly hope he's there, so things are a bit easier.

Do you have a step-dad or anything? Basically, some kind of father-figure.

I have a step-dad. My mom was real protective of me when I was a little kid so until he came along I was a little bitch. Him and my mom got together when I was still little and he didn't take any shit from me so I didn't really like him at all until I grew up and realized that I was a whiny little cunt. Got nothing but respect for him now because he taught me how to act like a man.
My parents told me and my brother that they were divorcing at the beginning of last summer. They decided they would stay "together" until my brother finishes his A Levels, which will be this summer.

I am at uni already, and I really need to find a job down here because otherwise I have to go back home just to work...
Yeah my parents split when I was a baby, I lived with my mum until I left school, then I moved in with my grandparents who are more like parents to me than my biological parents. My Dad never paid maintenance and my mum is too selfish to really care about anything but herself.
My Dad makes minor attempts at reconnecting with me, but he's too busy with his friends getting high and taking/selling drugs to make a consistent attempt at having anything to do with my life, I actually don't even care anymore, I regard my Grandad as my real Dad as he has been there for me since day 1.
It hasn't really affected me adversely, like I said, my grandparents are parents to me and to them I'm the son they never had. My biological parents are more acquaintances that I see once in a blue moon and it really doesn't affect me to be honest.
After my sister was killed in a car accident, my mom sort of "snapped" if you will, and was just unsuitable as a parent. So when they divorced, I stayed with my father, just the two of us. As horrible as the whole thing was, it definitely affected me positively; I can basically live on my own now and it was a huge lesson in responsibility.
Split before I was born.
Never seen or known anything about my real dad in all my 20 years.
Don't want to either.
I dunno how it's affected me, as I don't know the alternative. Had a step-dad since I was 5, never got on with him that well so I've sorta become an outcast in my own home.
Leaving soon though.
They got divorced when I was like 3. I think it was for the best. My first memories are all of them fighting. I just spent half my time at mom's and half at dad's, until she had to move. They've both remarried to great people who they love so it's all good.
/tl, dr

Parents divorced around when I was 15 or 16, I can't remember. My parents had both cheated on each other for years before shit finally hit the fan and they finally divorced. When it all started I didn't know who I wanted to live with, but eventually settled on my mom after she attempted suicide and then made several "subtle" hints that she would do it again if me or my brother left. So of course, I stayed. Worst decision I could have made, because she made my life hell from pretty much then on.

I won't go into too much detail here, because there are far too many reasons why I finally moved out. Basically, she was stubborn, and extremely quick to anger. Her mood fluctuated constantly and you never knew what was going to piss her off, most of it being very trivial shit. I'd get interrogated about what was said about her (which was often nothing, because my dad didn't like talking about her) every time I went to my dad's during his visitation. If we accidentally left one sock on the living room floor or forgot to put something in the kitchen away she went apeshit. Never accepted blame for anything she did, and was a religious self-centered, self-righteous ****. I know, that all sounds really stupid. But I can tell you that after getting yelled at every day for about 2-3 years it kind of starts to get to you, trust me, because I have the stress problems to account for it.

Not to say my dad didn't do his share of really bad shit, because he did, but most of it didn't directly interfere with my life. He's pretty smart and reasonable and treats me more like a friend. Probably why I feel more comfortable around him.
Last edited by Dregen at Feb 27, 2012,
Yes. My mom got custody of me. I'm really thankful for that, too. I think growing up more or less without a strong masculine influence was hella sweet.
Quote by due 07
Yes. My mom got custody of me. I'm really thankful for that, too. I think growing up more or less without a strong masculine influence was hella sweet.

Do you think this affected you in any way growing up without a masculine influence?
Quote by devourke
Do you think this affected you in any way growing up without a masculine influence?

Absofruitly I do. Might be why I'm such a girly faggot nowadays.
Quote by due 07

why?

Just curious
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
why?

Just curious

he likes being a girly faggot

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Crazyedd123
Does anybody here have parents who have split up?
Yep.
Who got custody of you/who did you decide to live with?
Mom: Sun - Wed (Til about 5) Dad: rest of Wed - Sat.
When in your life did they split up?
This Summer
Do you think it affected you positively or negatively?
Both, I think it made me grow up a little bit and not be so spoiled. It also made me sad for awhile and still somewhat does.

Bolded answers.
you're a stone fox
Yep. My parents had a fight and divorced seemingly outta nowhere when I was 11. My mom got custody and an unnecessary restraining order against my Dad (because she doesn't know how to handle problems), so me and my little bro weren't able to see our Dad for a while. Eventually it got to a Wednesday night/every other weekend custody arrangement with him.

That shit sucked. I was already a shy and quiet kid, but I had like no friends and barely talked to anyone or gave a fuck about anything during 7th grade. It was a definitely negative influence and it's why I feel that divorce is generally bullshit (especially on the grounds of "irreconcilable differences," which is a fucking coward's way out).

My mom got remarried a while later, but shit was tight financially and our relationship was lousy. Things with my Dad slowly got better. I moved in with some friends when I turned 18. I don't really talk with my Mom much, only see her occasionally. I go out with my Dad and little bro every couple weeks.

'S about it. Divorce sucks, man. To everybody out there with divorced parents:
Quote by DukeDeRox
Obviously you got this.
nah. My parents are awesome.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
They split up 13 years ago when I was 13.. I lived with my mom and now I live alone.. Although I had to move back in with my mom when I joined the army for my mandatory service..

I don't really see my father often, actually I never call him and I never see him even though he lives like 2 blocks away from me..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
my parents split up when i was like 8ish or so. It was pretty difficult at the time but i remember that would always get in the scariest fights so it's for the best. Doesn't help that my 2 sisters hate each other too. I'm 19 now and i live with my mum. I don't really see my dad all that much because he has some serious anger issues a lot of the time.
People who grow up with a good childhood have it very fortunate. Growing up in a family that isn't very loving at all is a tough thing.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 28, 2012,
My parents are legally separated but not divorced yet. Shit got crazy one night when I was 13 and they have never liked each other since. I live with my Mom. I've never had a good relationship with my Dad. He does nothing and only cares about himself. Even now at 20 years old I still find my self having to defend my Mom from his attacks. Last time I saw him, me and my 16 year old brother were picking my Mom up off the floor and getting ready to beat the shit out of him for hitting her. ****ing coward. Besides from that he is an alcoholic with bipolar disease. That is the worst possible combination to have.

It's sad really cause no one in my family, his side or Mom's side, has ever liked him. He manipulates and likes to be in control. I remember my cousin, on his side, throwing a brick through our car window when we were younger. My other cousin doesn't even talk to us because he wants no contact from my Dad what so ever. Not even on Facebook.

What ever he did to those poor guys is beyond me. Even at my aunt's funeral I had asked my cousins husband what he had done to them and he was like, he's done way too much to tell. It really sucks because all of us get along fine, mother included, but that one common factor is enough to keep distance from everyone.

Shit sucks and I hope I never have to go through anything like what my parents are going through.
Last edited by Jako215 at Feb 28, 2012,
Just remember kids. It's all your fault.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Crazyedd123

Does anybody here have parents who have split up? Who got custody of you/who did you decide to live with? When in your life did they split up? Do you think it affected you positively or negatively?

Yes, when I was 3yrs of age. 24 years later I can still remember the day they faught and we left.

Mum, with school holidays with my dad.

Negatively, especially when he sold his farm when I was 13, up and moved to Melbourne and seemingly dropped off the face of the earth for 2-3years. Right when I need a farther figure the most. Although I've let a lot of things go, he and I barely speak and don't get along the greatest when we do.

Positively because when I have kids, I'll know what not to be like.
I was 7 when they divorced. Seemed normal for me. Ended up living 1 week at mom's place and 1 week at dad. This kept on going until I was like 13. But also this:

Quote by Crazyedd123

My dad doesn't really provide much financial support. I don't really see him that much and it makes it hard to actually enjoy being around him. However, I don't really like him that much. He's very opinionated and racist, plus he sometimes hit us when we were younger, and it was for relatively minor things.

+ Add a lot of yelling.
Parents were never married but seperated when I was 1.
Had various negative effects including the death of my father.
Obviously grew up w/ mom, living on my own now.
Affected me negatively in so many ways I cannot begin to list, but I'm straight, so its coo.
My parents split up when I was in third grade, so around 9 years old. Didn't matter much on my life because my dad was rarely home anyway. My mom raised my sister and I raised myself, along with my friends.

Things didn't start going bad until my mom got remarried. Suddenly I had a father figure in my life that I wasn't used to, nor did I care to have. It's not that I was trying to be the dad, far from it, it's just that I didn't want someone telling me how to grow up and become their definition of a man, when I had already created my own definition, and was going to fill it myself.

On the subject of my actual dad, I love him and wish I could have been around him more as a child. For how little he was there, I have become (at the risk of sounding proud) a good person, well adjusted and free-thinking. I was raised with a few beliefs:

- Don't make promises you can't keep. (Dad)
- Do not lie unless absolutely necessary. (Dad)
- Be punctual. (Mom)
- Respect others. You are better than no one, and no one is better than you. (Myself)
- Find both sides of the story before you pass judgement. (Dad, and still learning this one)
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Mine are divorced. Dad actually got married about five or six months ago.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
My parent's split before I was born, they were never really together. I actually never acknowledged having a father for quite a long time. Until I was 14 or so I always told people (and believed) I didn't have a father, that it was just my mom.

I'd say the effect was positive, my life would be in the dumps if I were with him, I don't really like him at all.

My father is basically non-existent within my life. All I feel is anger towards him, which is actually something new, I used to simply not care.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Parents split up long ago, i don't really care. a few memories of fighting, a few good ones but nowadays i dont really give a Shit anymore. My mum got remarried to a POS stepdad who rann of with her money, and my dad moved to another continent and got remarried. See im once a year if im lucky. The sad thing? i dont really care about either of them anymore. I still love them but there are many moments where the anger builds up. Snapped a few times because of this too. But i learnt values in this time.
rant over

tl;dr Divorce has good and bad consequences, but mainly sucks
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-50
Boss ME-70
Dunlop GCB95(Red Fasel)
Ibanez RG8BK
PodHD300

Rest Easy Gooze

Quote by jpnyc
I once used a Jackson V to play Wildwood Flower. The ghosts of Randy Rhoads and Mother Maybelle Carter made my walls bleed for a week.
Quote by Crazyedd123

Those are the main questions I'm curious about. I may add more as the thread goes on.

I love my mom very much and I'll always help her around the house, although I usually make a fuss about it as a joke. My mom earns much less than my dad and she had to raise me and my brother mostly by herself.

Rant over.

Almost the exact same thing as me.

'Cept he hit my mom instead of us.

Well, sometimes. Spanks though.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?