Hello everyone, I have a 5150 III and a Genz Benz 410XB Cab, and was wondering if someone could help me decide what I should set my impedance switch to on my head. The back of the cab says 4Ohm parallel but I don't know if that means internally so each plug is 4 or only if you hook it up as a full stack. My problem is, when I have my head set on 4 Ohms, at random I will get a distorted buzz and it continues until i power the head down and wait a few seconds before powering it back up. It sounds like my speakers are blown but once i power back up, its fine for a while. Thanks for any help.
Quote by demetious
Hello everyone, I have a 5150 III and a Genz Benz 410XB Cab, and was wondering if someone could help me decide what I should set my impedance switch to on my head. The back of the cab says 4Ohm parallel but I don't know if that means internally so each plug is 4 or only if you hook it up as a full stack.

it means that the cabinet is wired for 4 ohms. so your head should be set to 4 ohm output. the reference to 'parallel' most likely means the two 1/4" jacks a wired together in parallel. this is useful for 'daisy-chaining' multiple cabinets together.

interesting choice for a cabinet. do you prefer bass cabs?

Quote by demetious
My problem is, when I have my head set on 4 Ohms, at random I will get a distorted buzz and it continues until i power the head down and wait a few seconds before powering it back up. It sounds like my speakers are blown but once i power back up, its fine for a while. Thanks for any help.

that is strange. i would try the amp with another cabinet if at all possible and see if it does the same thing. amp might need to be serviced. if a speaker is failing it doesn't tend to 'turn on and off' (unless there is a faulty wiring connection somewhere).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Gumb,
Thanks for the quick response. I know it's a terrible combo but it's all I have at the moment. As for the setup, I thought it was right but it made me nervous. I just wanted to verify that the bass cab would indeed work with the head. I dont have another cab to test it out on unfortunatly. I was wondering if cheap cables would cause my issue.
Quote by demetious
Gumb,
Thanks for the quick response. I know it's a terrible combo but it's all I have at the moment. As for the setup, I thought it was right but it made me nervous. I just wanted to verify that the bass cab would indeed work with the head. I dont have another cab to test it out on unfortunatly. I was wondering if cheap cables would cause my issue.

i wouldn't say 'terrible', just a little unorthodox. some very famous players actually preferred such cabs for their guitar work.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae