Hey,

So far my band has been doing covers to get things started: we have about 26 right now and plan on getting 30 and an encore for 3 sets to begin gigging. After that we're sticking to creating original material.

Now, we all have a general idea of what we're going for: We do 60's/70's rock, psychedelic, blues rock, blues, and modern stuff like the Black Keys, Brian Jonestown Massacre, BRMC, Spacemen 3, and Wolfmother.

When it comes to making original material, we have no idea which direction we want to go in, or how to find our sound besides endless jamming. Even then, it feels like everything's been done.

Whenever I make something up, it sounds very different from what I've done previously. Example: I wrote/created a psychedelic moody song with a lot of dynamics and then the next day made a straight-forward song in the style of Howlin' Wolf.

Is there any way to make things easier when trying to find a band's sound?

Thank you!
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 27, 2012,
Haha, your'e welcome
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
You just keep writing what inspires you. At a certain point, you look at the material you've written and you say, "You know these six songs really seem to work well with what we're doing as a band, these other three, not so much."

Rinse. Repeat.

Don't rush to define your sound. Just make music and your sound will define itself over time.
If I see further than others it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants.

Don't worry about it, there is almost no original music but each generation builds upon the work that went before and the work of their contemporaries. If you are jamming around a chord sequence then this can become the base of your songs, add lyrics, a hook line and a middle eight and you have a new song. Since it is your song you can go on messing around with it until you are happy, or forever.

Don't worry about styles or having your own sound, this is something you won't be able to avoid anyway and it will only inhibit experimentation. Whatever happens you will still be a unique combination of individuals,