Okay, so I've been thinking about buying an eight-string guitar in the last few months, and I wanted to see what you guys would recommend. It would be my first eight, so I don't want something ridiculously expensive. Something less than $800 if possible.

My amp is an MG100HDFX head with A/B cabs, if that helps at all.

I HATH DECIDEST ON A FANCY SHMANCY CARVIN DC800!
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Mar 9, 2012,
I'd suggest buying a new head first. But, otherwise, Rondo Music.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Check into Agile. The guy above said rondo music. thats where youll find them. Ive been wanting one for quite some time now. But im broke. haha.
yeah check out a used peavey windsor head. $250
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
yeah for under $800, either the new LTD 8s if you dont mind simple, black guitars. or look at Agiles on rondomusic for longer scale lengths and a little variety in the finishes.

id also suggest a new head first though, because i dont feel like you'll be super impressed with it through an MG like i was with my 8 through my tube head.

if you just happened to be able to expand your budget ceiling, id definitely say go for one of the new carvin 8s. they are AMAZING and are barely larger than an average superstrat. my carvin 8 is the same size as my schecter c-1 classic, but the schecter weighs more! and damn, they are as fun to look at as they are to play! click the DC800 link in my sig if you haven't seen mine yet

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Feb 28, 2012,
Honestly, an MG won't be able to handle the low F#/E/Whatever you're tuning to. I play my 8-string through the MGs at college for rehearsals and it's ****ing terrible. If I were you I'd save up a bit longer and get a new amp aswell.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Id say spend $400 on an ltd lh-208 and then look into somelike like a used valveking head and a decent distortion pedal
Gibson Bill Kelliher Golden Axe Explorer
Agile Septor Pro 727
Peavey Ultra+ head
Randall XL cab w/Vintage 30s
Wampler Euphoria OD
Boss NS-2 Noise Surpressor
MXR 6-band EQ
im sure with whatever guitar your considering,

ull get over wanting an 8 string. its a fad. a fad that just blew up out of nowhere.

u will feel like u wasted money later on so just go for an amp. like metal? (im assuming since the need of an 8 and since ur a 7 string owner, and those guitars for the most part are used for more extreme music.)

for $600 u can find a well enough 6505 used.

with the remaining $200 u get a decent 2x12 cab used.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro

If oyu can get a 6505 go for it, ive got one and they're great. in the way of 8 strings try the new LTD models, they get a lot of criticism for only having a 25.5" scale but i think they they play real nice and are good for the price. that or agile
Quote by EspTro

ull get over wanting an 8 string. its a fad. a fad that just blew up out of nowhere.

u will feel like u wasted money later on so just go for an amp. like metal? (im assuming since the need of an 8 and since ur a 7 string owner, and those guitars for the most part are used for more extreme music.)

Yep, just like 7 strings are a fad that blew up out of nowhere
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
Yep, just like 7 strings are a fad that blew up out of nowhere

This.

Its all about picking the right tools to create the music you want to hear.
8 strings have been around for a while, they've just gotten popular in metal somewhat recently. Also, 200 bucks for a decent used 2x12? I can think of the bugera 2x12. That's about it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by EspTro

Just a fad eh? Have fun in your little dream world. We people down on planet earth wont' be joining you.

TS: An Agile sounds right for you, however don't discount Schecters or Ibanez's. The RGA8 is nice, but you can probably get more bang for your buck from Schecter. That is if you gel with the neck profile

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Tango616
This.

Its all about picking the right tools to create the music you want to hear.
8 strings have been around for a while, they've just gotten popular in metal somewhat recently. Also, 200 bucks for a decent used 2x12? I can think of the bugera 2x12. That's about it.

Craigslist, bro. It's where I've gotten my last two 4x12s, and I never spent over $150.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

i think people have been taking my post a bit too seriously.

but srsly, how musical is that low 8th string compared to how the 7 string was used.

today's music composed with 8 strings aren't about the strings or notes themselves, rather the rhythm and syncopation. (grooves)

anyone that misinterprets this as hate needs to read better
i suggested the OP to spend his money more wisely.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro

but srsly, how musical is that low 8th string compared to how the 7 string was used.

today's music composed with 8 strings aren't about the strings or notes themselves, rather the rhythm and syncopation. (grooves)

anyone that misinterprets this as hate needs to read better
i suggested the OP to spend his money more wisely.

And what makes grooves over note choice unmusical?
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Twistedrock
And what makes grooves over note choice unmusical?

i didnt say it was unmusical. i said not as musical. hence refering to my opinion on how i beleive notes are more part of the music rather the the groove.

thats MY opinion. yours may be different

and i really do love grooving with the djent as much as the next guy but the explanation above was just my process i went through when i wanted an 8 string too
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by EspTro
i didnt say it was unmusical. i said not as musical. hence refering to my opinion on how i beleive notes are more part of the music rather the the groove.

thats MY opinion. yours may be different

and i really do love grooving with the djent as much as the next guy but the explanation above was just my process i went through when i wanted an 8 string too

Well that's just like.. your opinion, man.
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Snap017
Craigslist, bro. It's where I've gotten my last two 4x12s, and I never spent over $150.

And what kind of 4x12's were these now.

As for EspTro, more musical? Go check out some 8 string technical metal.
Even 7 string, like some Jeff Loomis stuff, add an 8th string along with the mind blowing shred of all 7 strings for some djent and you have some amazing musicality.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by EspTro

Completely wrong. Everything that is done with the 7th string can be used and extended onto the 8th string. Listen to Tosin Abasi, for example. Granted, yes, grooves and syncopation are elements that are common in bands that use 8 string guitars, but if you think an 8 string is entirely about that then you need to watch more 8 string players.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
I would definitely recommend an Agile, there are a lot of positive reviews on those.

But, if you are willing to save some more money, aim for a Carvin.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by brokeniseasyfix
for all you "eight strings are unmusical" people,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc ill leave this here.

for all you "ill just go ahead and misinterpret this guys post"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwxO0bt1Qgo

srsly, y are u people still recommending him guitars? hes playing through an MG Stack.

*EDIT*

Quote by Nico the Great
Completely wrong. Everything that is done with the 7th string can be used and extended onto the 8th string. Listen to Tosin Abasi, for example. Granted, yes, grooves and syncopation are elements that are common in bands that use 8 string guitars, but if you think an 8 string is entirely about that then you need to watch more 8 string players.

i never said it was impossible, but the guy here thats looking to buy an 8 string isnt tosin. and tosin has said in multiple interviews that he for the most part (given his drop E tuning) uses the low 8th to add re-occurring bass notes into his chords. but he also does make use of it.

im liking the healthy discussion in this thraed (no sarcasm)
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Mar 1, 2012,