I got the hang of acoustic guitar for like 2 and a half months and wanted to go electric so I got the strat affinity pack from guitar center and the little amp that comes along with it and I have some basic questions.

1. how do you get the distorted rock?heavy metal sound?
2. Will putting everything up on max damage the little amp?
3. Any tips on how to adjust the guitar to get rid of the buzzing sound?
4. Do the springs in the guitar need to be more looser or more tenser?
5. Is the whammy bar even worth it?
6. Do you guys recommend heavy picks or medium picks?
7. Can you guys give me tips on soloing ?
8. And the final question. How many years of experience do you have as a guitarist?

Thanks guys
1. You probably won't have a lot of luck with that setup. A guitar with humbuckers and a loud amp with scooped mids is a good starting place.
2. Hopefully not, but depending on the quality, the preamp could eventually wear on the speaker.
3. That's the downside of less expensive electronics. Don't play near dimmer switches or computers.
4. Can't say without seeing it.
5. It's a good tool, and there are geniuses with the whammy bar, but don't let it be a crutch for developing good vibrato.
6. Heavy picks. Use Dunlop Jazz IIIs if you can. I've found them to be super versatile. Everyone has their own opinion of what the best pick is though, however, for rock and metal, heavier is often recommended.
7. Learn a couple pentatonic scales and give it a shot. It takes experience and practice. Always try to emulate players you like, and eventually what they do will become a part of what you do.
8. I have about 9 years of experience at this point playing blues, rock, funk and jazz primarily, on both acoustic and electric. Don't set down the acoustic. It will do wonders for your chops to practice on it. Good luck. Have fun.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by Nickthenewbie
I got the hang of acoustic guitar for like 2 and a half months and wanted to go electric so I got the strat affinity pack from guitar center and the little amp that comes along with it and I have some basic questions.

Welcome to the dark side.

1. how do you get the distorted rock?heavy metal sound?

Up the gain/drive on your amp.

2. Will putting everything up on max damage the little amp?

Probably not, but they don't put quality amps in starter packages. My second amp, I did manage to damage by cranking external inputs. So, play it safe until you understand the capabilities of different kinds of gear better.

3. Any tips on how to adjust the guitar to get rid of the buzzing sound?

Where is the buzzing coming from? Electric guitars, especially when plugged into a high-gain amp, tend to magnify every imperfection in your playing. First, be sure that it's not you not knowing what you're doing. then, see if it may be the amp. My first amp picked up a lot of electrical interference. You may also just take it into the local shop to get it set up properly. Could be anything, really.

4. Do the springs in the guitar need to be more looser or more tenser?

Springs... hmm... I assume you mean the ones connecting the bridge to the body? They should be tight enough to keep your strings from going out of tune. When I added heavier strings to my AXL, my instructor had to open up the back and add two more springs to it because they were getting stretched too far.

5. Is the whammy bar even worth it?

Personal preference, really. I felt that it got in the way while I was learning.

6. Do you guys recommend heavy picks or medium picks?

Medium to start with, heavy once you can handle it. I still use medium nylon picks for strumming; gets caught in the strings less. Try a couple of different kinds to see what you like; I use Dunlop Tortex/Ultex.

7. Can you guys give me tips on soloing ?

It's all about harmonizing with the chords, and creating a melody. Learn some scales; pentatonic, and so forth, and learn how to construct melodies using chord tones. It'll get you started. Also, study solos by bands you like.

8. And the final question. How many years of experience do you have as a guitarist?

Roughly four or five, but not dedicated. It's a hobby.
Personal preference, really. I felt that it got in the way while I was learning.