hey, im playing a ibanez rga32 (stock) threw a peavey vypyr 75 and ive been havin problems with it for the last few months. It sounds good to me when im playing on my own, but when my band has practise it sounds like twangy shit compared to my lead guitarist whos playing a shecter (dont know what kind) threw a spider iv 75.

ive been playing around with the settings on my amp but i cant get anything to sound half as decent as his, im not sure if its the guitar or the amp or i just havent found the right settings yet but its startin to get to the point where i just want to sell off both of them and get a whole new set up.

im thinkin maybe a pick up upgrade
or maybe getting a ibanez s420 or maybe a shecter would help not sure tho

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

oh btw where goin for a metal sound like a day to remember, protest the hero, atryu
Last edited by willbosmond at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by willbosmond
hey, im playing a ibanez rga32 (stock) threw a peavey vypyr 75 and ive been havin problems with it for the last few months. It sounds good to me when im playing on my own, but when my band has practise it sounds like twangy shit compared to my lead guitarist whos playing a shecter (dont know what kind) threw a spider iv 75.

ive been playing around with the settings on my amp but i cant get anything to sound half as decent as his, im not sure if its the guitar or the amp or i just havent found the right settings yet but its startin to get to the point where i just want to sell off both of them and get a whole new set up.

im thinkin maybe a pick up upgrade
or maybe getting a ibanez s420 or maybe a shecter would help not sure tho

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

oh btw where goin for a metal sound like a day to remember, protest the hero, atryu

with modelings everything will sound alright at bedroom volumes but you will lose some of it when its turned up and the highs will increase to icepick levels. There is a technical term for this but what you have to do is set your patch EQ at loud volumes etc which your bandmate is probably doing. When i used PODs i'd have to make patches for personal use and then for gigging....I use a 40watt tube amp now so i dont have to mess with that anymore.

basically give your gigging volume some extra bottom end and mids, at bedroom levels it wont sound as good, but turned up it should sound nice.
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
with modelings everything will sound alright at bedroom volumes but you will lose some of it when its turned up and the highs will increase to icepick levels.

Not true.

"Icepick" is the first strike.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
what does that mean?

Pretty sure he just means a tone sharp as **** and ear piercingly awful.

Also, getting a new guitar wont fix your tone.

In my opinion, tone is 60% amp, 20% technique, 20% guitar.

No doubt though that the amp plays the biggest part in determining tone.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
what does that mean?

Using the word "icepick" is an overused generalization. You're saying every modeler becomes harsh sounding at high volume levels, which is not true at all, and is subjective anyway.
Quote by Buck's Student
Using the word "icepick" is an overused generalization. You're saying every modeler becomes harsh sounding at high volume levels, which is not true at all, and is subjective anyway.

Was referring to the Fletcher-Munson Phenomenon on how sound is heard from the listener at loud volumes. With Solid State and Modeling amps I have often found that the tone becomes thin the louder it gets, but setting the tone at loud volumes counters this.

Was not bashing Modeling amps as i really dig PODs etc, but what i was suggesting was editing a patch to get a thick tone at high volumes instead of setting it at bedroom volumes and just turning it up.

Icepick is overused, but for me its the best way to describe Loud piercing treble levels! You are right It is subjective, but my opinion is a low watt Modelling amp is going to sound like Crap when turned up really loud:P
What you're referring to is an overly bright or harsh tone; 'icepick' is usually a term reserved for only the nastiest combinations, such as a Telecaster made of solid maple with no tone control into a solid state amp with the treble maxed and the bass taken completely out (believe it or not I've engineered at gigs where people tried this; of course they wondered why they didn't sound as good as they had in their bedroom).

Anyhoo, try upping your mids. That's where most of the guitar's power is. You may also want to invest in a larger speaker or speakers, as simply pushing more air is going to add volume and presence.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Normally this has to do with the amp and settings not the guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by MrFlibble
Anyhoo, try upping your mids. That's where most of the guitar's power is. You may also want to invest in a larger speaker or speakers, as simply pushing more air is going to add volume and presence.

This. So many guitarists cut their mids and then wonder why their sound is so weak and doesn't cut through or sound good at high volumes. The main body of the guitar's sound is in the middle frequencies. The tones that Protest the Hero use are very mid-heavy. There's enough treble in there for note clarity, but they've got a nice healthy dose of mids and bass in there as well.
Quote by MrFlibble

This. So many guitarists cut their mids and then wonder why their sound is so weak and doesn't cut through or sound good at high volumes. The main body of the guitar's sound is in the middle frequencies. The tones that Protest the Hero use are very mid-heavy. There's enough treble in there for note clarity, but they've got a nice healthy dose of mids in there to give the guitar a nice oomph.
could be a huge number of things really. it could be something that dead simple, like needing to add mids to your tone (mids largely define the character of a tone, scooping them can result in a really thin sound). however, when you get multiple guitarists but when you play with other people, like say a drummer, bassist and guitarist, something that sounded good alone can go pretty bad.

I won't get into the specifics of why it happens (I'm not a physicist), but you may be sharing similar frequency space with another instrument, likely the bass, and you are consequently only able to hear your highs properly (if the bass and guitar occupy a similar space, then one will drown out the other, at least partially). adding some mids will help this, as will having your bassist back down their treble a touch.

it could also be how you're all positioned in the room. depending on where you are relative to each other and walls (a wall boosts bass about 3db, a corner can boost it more), and the sort of floor you're all on, certain frequencies may be perceived as boosted or missing. try moving around the room a little bit while you play to see if you can hear a difference (I don't like standing adjacent to a bass amp... too boomy with little definition then).
What are your EQ settings? Your EQ matters a lot more at high volumes than it does at low volumes, and having it set appropriately can make all the difference. Also keep in mind that you will need a different EQ in a band situation than you will playing alone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
my lead guitarist is playing out of a line 6 iv 75w, and thanks for the tips guys my mids were scooped a fair bit (at about 9-10 o clock ) and my highs and lows were at about 3 o clock gonna try and mess with it more tomorrow when i can play with it at decent levels again without waking nobody. xD will post again to see if it worked
Put your mids at 3 and you bass back at 9. Playing with other people is totally different ball game than playing alone. You need a lot of mids and a good amount of treble to cut through. Having a lot of bass will make you flub out and inaudible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i turned the treble down and its sounding better ill have to wait and see what it sounds like the weekend when we got practise, thanks. also i noticed my pickups are pretty close to my strings think adjusting it down a bit would help with the treble??