Have you ever bought a pedal or piece of gear and gotten it to work in some unexpected or unorthodox way?

I recently acquired a Boss HM-2 pedal to get a different tone for death metal, particularly Swedish death metal. Anyway, I've tried it by itself just into the clean channel of my 6505+, and it sounded like shit.

Then I tried it as a boost in front of the amp and it got much, much better. Definitely on par with some of the stuff from early Bloodbath, Entombed, etc; that chainsaw grind. But there was no picking articulation and no tightness to the palm mutes. It sounds more like a very deep, nasty fuzz.

Then, I tried it in the effects loop, but still as a "boost." I have the distortion knob turned nearly all the way off, the level about halfway up (wherever it needs to be to match the volume of the lead channel by itself) and the high and low knobs maxed.

Pure, terrifying brutality, I tell you. The palm mutes/chugs are now just as tight as ever, but the note articulation has returned; everything sounds great, but very deep, thick, and nasty. I guess I'm just wondering why this has worked? I was about to consider selling this pedal but I think I've found a new favorite tone! (And through the effects loop, of all things.)

Can anybody explain what's going on?
Yah, I first tried running my Big Muff in front of the amp, but it sounded basically like crap. Palm mutes and power chords sounded like this really weird unclear mess and the tone knob went from mud to icepick

Then I decided to try how it sounds in the effects loop and now it actually sounds exactly like I was expecting it to sound like.

Here's the thread that made me want to try it: http://blackstaramps.forumotion.com/t1424-where-do-you-like-your-od-fuzz?highlight=fuzz
Last edited by WantsLesPaul at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by darkwolf291
I'm confused.
That's what Muff sounds like regardless....

I just like it more in the loop

Now the powerchords actually sound like powerchords and not just this bizarre muddy mess.

Kinda sounded as if the whole guitar was out of tune when I played power chords
Last edited by WantsLesPaul at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by darkwolf291
You're using a crap distortion pedal into an amp known for it's distortion is what's going on.

Crappy enough for unknown bands such as...AT THE GATES, IN FLAMES, BLOODBATH, ENTOMBED, etc.???

Yeah, I see what you're saying.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Yah, I first tried running my Big Muff in front of the amp, but it sounded basically like crap. Palm mutes and power chords sounded like this really weird unclear mess and the tone knob went from mud to icepick

Then I decided to try how it sounds in the effects loop and now it actually sounds exactly like I was expecting it to sound like.

Here's the thread that made me want to try it: http://blackstaramps.forumotion.com/t1424-where-do-you-like-your-od-fuzz?highlight=fuzz

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. Chords just did not sound clear enough to use the pedal. Single string riffs w/ tremelo picking were okay.

But in the loop, it sounds how I expected it to. It definitely doesn't sound like "some crappy distortion pedal" into a tube amp. It sounds heavy as F#$%K.