I need some advice about open tuning usages.

I'm looking to do a cover of Coldplay paradise on acoustic guitar and wanted to try apply open tuning to it (kind of like boyce avenue do to some of their songs they seem to get the key of the song and then use the corresponding open tuning and play the chords or variations of such).

Coldplay paradise is in the key of Dm so I thought ok well i'll try an open Dm tuning the problem is i've tried to construct the chords on this tuning but they just sound far too dreary / dissonant (I was hoping for more of that open tuning rininging but i'm not getting it at all just muddy chords) I constructed the chords as you would for example C major C E F notes and tried to make the chord on this tuning but as i said too always too dready / muddy / dissonant. I must be doing something wrong? Only way I seem to get half sounding good chords is towards 12th fret even then they don't sound that great.

Any help as to what errors i'm making. Boyce avenue seem to get all their open tunings/chords sounding good and I have no idea how. Maybe using a different open tuning? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
well how are you voicing them?
btw if you make a c major chord and try to let notes ring whe youre tuned to open Dm it might not sound the best
Last edited by supersac at Feb 28, 2012,
I'm assuming the C chord is an open C chord normally, and the fact that you are fretting all the notes will change the timbre.
also, just wondering are you tuning to DADFAD? or are you doing some other variation of open D?
and is it just C major or any chord that isn't Dminor?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
I'm assuming the C chord is an open C chord normally, and the fact that you are fretting all the notes will change the timbre.
also, just wondering are you tuning to DADFAD? or are you doing some other variation of open D?
and is it just C major or any chord that isn't Dminor?

I think my voicings suck personally. Thats probably it but Dm just generally is a drab tuning... Maybe I might try another open tuning maybe G or something. Yes DADFAD Erm a Gm Chord also sounds crapp too.
try Gmin (DGDGBbD) or Cmin (CGCGCEb)? idunno it might sound better
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Ok will give it a go. I think i need a good chord book really to get better voicings of chords.