Lately I've been giving some thought about going back to school, as in adult education. Particularly focussing on some of my weak aspects, mainly mathematics and also biology. I did alright in school, I was probably a B student, but looking back in my more mature mind, I still wish I had studied harder and not ignored a lot of the situations available, rather than skipping some classes I didn't like and rather than hanging around with friends.

Have any UGers ever gone back to school? How did it go? Were you glad you went back or do you regret it? How much did it cost you?
Last edited by jesse music at Feb 28, 2012,
Are you planning on going back just to learn more? or to try and get a different career?
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Quote by jesse music
Lately I've been giving some thought about going back to school, as in adult education. Particularly focussing on some of my weak aspects, mainly mathematics and also biology. I did alright in school, I was probably a B student, but looking back in my more mature mind, I still wish I had studied harder and not ignored a lot of the situations available, rather than skipping some classes I didn't like and rather than hanging around with friends.

Have any UGers ever gone back to school? How did it go? Were you glad you went back or do you regret it? How much did it cost you?
There is always self directed learning for things that you just want to learn about. Going back to school is a large commitment, both time-wise and financially. Why do you want to improve mathematics and biology? Do you feel that being better at those would be pertinent to your career? Or are they things that you simply want to know better for the sake of knowing? If that is the case, then I don't know if it's worth it. School can cost thousands of dollars, if you go back just to learn something about something without any intention of using it, then where are you at the end of your program? The exact same place you are now, out thousands of dollars with a little more knowledge that may or may not be useful. I suppose you could always impress friends with slightly deeper than the layman's knowledge about certain topics, but is that worth the price?

School is an investment, it's something that is supposed to pay itself back. I went to college for 4 years, graduated, took a year off to work and then went back to school. Right now, my tuition cost about $45,000 annually for a 4 year M.D. program. Add 6.8% APR to my student loans and you are talking about an education that is costing me about $240,000 in the long run. But I feel like it is worth it because it opens the door for the career that I want, and I will have the earnings to pay off debts later. Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 28, 2012,