I try to write music that has a tense vibe, often heavy in clean guitars mixed in with distorted guitars, clean vocal melodies no screams (I can't do it and it makes me laugh)and very technical, layered instrumental parts and I noticed a while back that I couldn't really place a genre on it; it just sounded like music. It was heavy, but not br00tal. It was soft and pretty, but not nessecarily pop or RnB. It has strange chord progressions and odd structures but it's not really proggy. So I ask you guys: At what point does a piece of music (you've written or heard) become "genre-less" to you and is that even possible?
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Everyone thinks their baby is super unique and super beautiful.

But it's not true.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^ Sad but true, if you want a real opinion as well you should probably let us listen to it. To me you sound a lot like the Devin Townsend project, the butterfly effect and Muse from the way you described yourself.
Quote by AlanHB

But it's not true.

That's not the point.
For me, Protest the Hero's most recent release doesn't sound metal, prog or punki, it just sounds like music.

I don't like Devin Townsend, but I'll take that as a compliment since he's all famous and what not
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by sonny bb

For me, Protest the Hero's most recent release doesn't sound metal, prog or punki, it just sounds like music.

I don't like Devin Townsend, but I'll take that as a compliment since he's all famous and what not

Well, PTH most recent release reeks of prog/math metal.

All music can be placed in a genre, because humans try to connect new things to something we already know. If some band releases something that is hard to define, somebody wil lmost likely either make up a new genre, or just say that it's a mix of different genres.

Edit:
Let us look at some examples:

A friend of mine once said that he wanted to make new genre that mixed avant-garde Jazz and Black metal. I told him that there is at least one band that does just that: Shining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqn2QMD3ZSE
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Feb 28, 2012,
Quote by sonny bb
That's not the point.

it kind of is the point, just cuz you can't place a genre on it doesn't mean it doesn't fit in anywhere. I'm pretty sure his point is you see this as a unique new genre, and so many musicians think they invented something even though it has existed all along...

also it doesn't have to sound like everything else in a category for it to fit. for example pearl jam and alice in chains are both grunge. listen to pink floyd, then dream theater, then coheed and cambria, yeah there are some minor similarities but overall they are pretty different and they are all considered progressive.

seriously you should post it to get feedback and maybe someone else can give you a genre. but in all honesty what does genre really matter anyway, do you like the music? and do other people like it? if you said yes to both of those, then don't worry about it.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by AlanHB

But it's not true.

Came in to say this, you haven't single handedly created a genre. I saw the thread title and thought "look another prima donna"

Maybe a better idea would be to post a piece of your music.
I don't know how to post it ( I'm not very computer savvy) But I do like the music I write and that I listen to. I was just wondering you guy's opinions on those things, not on my music specifically, I was just using a descriptive example.
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>