Currently im 19 years old, turning 20 tomorrow, and just trying to figure out how it all works.

There are a few things I love in life, the kinda stuff I google just because, the kinda stuff that i'll spend a day on youtube just learning about.

Space is one of them. I am FASCINATED by anything dealing with space. The planets, the galaxies, If there was a one way ticket to mars I would take it. I have listened to the sounds of the planets hundreds of times on youtube.

One problem. I loathe math. I hate it so much my body doesn't even try to get better at it.Obviously if I wanted to work in a space career I would need to know math. Any tips or advice to help me overcome my math hump?
How can you hate math? It's just a tool to come to answers, just as much as logic is. Actually math = logic.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Get better at maths or choose a job which you are capable of.

Alternatively, start a synth band that uses a lot of spacial, eerie sounds and sing about your space fetish.
West Ham United
Quote by Neo Evil11
How can you hate math? It's just a tool to come to answers, just as much as logic is. Actually math = logic.

Probably because most of my teachers have done terrible jobs at actually teaching it to me.

Right now in my Intermediate Algebra Class we are doing graphing, which is super easy to me. I dunno why.

I really am interested in stuff like biology and physics and all that its just never been taught to me in an appropriate way, im more of a do it myself learner, thats why I loathe public schooling (well im in college now)

Perhaps I should buy some self help books.
"I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

- Muhammad Ali
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Advice? Man up and realize that you are pretty much obligated to use math in any career related to astronomy. If you really want to work with astronomy, then that should be enough motovation in itself for you to start having an interest in math.

Also, even though you are interested in space/astronomy: Are you sure that you want to work with it? There is one thing to be interested in something: Working with it is a completely different thing.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by King Donkey
.....sing about your space fetish.

Quote by guy_tebache
Simple choice: Suck it up or give up.
You know what you have to do.

Sure I have heard this in a downloaded movie I once had.......

Anyway TS, get better at maths
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Space has been the only thing i've kept interest in over the years

I've nearly joined the military twice, i've wanted to join the peace corps, i've wanted to be a game designer.

But always, in the back of my head, I wish I would have been born a few hundred years later so I could live somewhere other than earth.

I'm facisnated by planets, black holes, galaxies and everything in between. I never pushed it because I knew it would require a butt load of math, and when I understand math im good at it, when I don't im flat out awful. Even most of the time when my problems are marked wrong on homework, im usually only off by a negative sign or got some numbers switched up, very rarely am I ever flat out WRONG.

Sorry if I seem kinda deep, just realizing this isn't where I wanted to be when I turned 20.
Quote by Kensai
"I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

- Muhammad Ali

This.

Also: if it really is your teachers fault or whatever get a tutor. Try other methods ie get some books, or find some info online. Don't let bad teachers hold you back.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by jakesmellspoo
so i just read about how .999... = 1

pretty cool huh?

Well, 1/3 = 0.3333 right?

and 3 * 1/3 = 3/3 = 1.

return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Julz127
Well, 1/3 = 0.3333 right?

and 3 * 1/3 = 3/3 = 1.

my mind = blown

my whole world is upside down.

math is cool to me now?

horses are eating each other.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
my mind = blown

my whole world is upside down.

math is cool to me now?

horses are eating each other.

I know right?
Wait 'till you 'get' calculus.
return 0;

Quote by jsync

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by GKDAIR
Probably because most of my teachers have done terrible jobs at actually teaching it to me.

Find yourself some excellent teachers then!

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/audio-video-courses
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/Alg.aspx
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx
http://www.learnerstv.com/Free-Maths-video-lecture-courses.htm
http://midnighttutor.com/math_tutor_online.php

How much math do you know and what are you struggling with?
It gets more interesting the longer you stick with it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
Quote by keinerniemand

Psh I never got past Algebra 2.
I'm in the same boat as you TS. I've been godawful at math since about 8th grade, and it's really limited my career options
I saw something with professor Brian Cox where he was saying he was exactly the same as you. He then probably said something that'd help or inspire you but I can't remember it.
Quote by whalepudding
I saw something with professor Brian Cox where he was saying he was exactly the same as you. He then probably said something that'd help or inspire you but I can't remember it.

Every math professor will tell you that they sucked at math as a kid.
return 0;

Quote by jsync

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Neo Evil11

I think you mean math is equivalent to logic.
Quote by Julz127
Also khan academy.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

I personally don't like the khan academy, but I appreciate that it's helped out many others, so yeah, he should check it out too. I found errors in some of the more advanced videos, which are also for the most quite superficial. Not a surprise given that he's trying to cover so many subjects, but I think it would be much better if he took a step back and let actual experts in those field make videos about more involved topics. It doesn't help that many videos seem to have been made in quite a rush. But I guess up to calculus, it's decent.
(Some of his videos about history, economics and capitalism in particular are very one-sided and biased, which I find questionable in an educational resource.)

Quote by GKDAIR
Psh I never got past Algebra 2.

Then I suggest you get started immediately.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
Quote by pwnerer
I'm pretty sure you can't completely avoid math if you want to work with space.

I'm sure the Space Pirates would certainly disagree.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Julz127
I know right?
Wait 'till you 'get' calculus.

i understood Pre-Calc in high school waaaaaay better than Algebra 2, but that's most likely due to the fact that the Alg 2 teacher was a terrible fat ****, and the Calc teacher was a cool dude from Ireland who told us the shit in our textbooks was retarded and taught us way easier/logical ways of doing it.

i can't remember anything from it though. we'll see how i do once i get back to college. gonna get as much of my math classes out of the way as possible. if it turns out that i "get it," maybe i'll major in math or something.
Quote by Kensai

- Muhammad Ali

I like this.
I love space and math. But im too lazy to do math hw.
You hate highschool math, but then again so does everyone.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i understood Pre-Calc in high school waaaaaay better than Algebra 2, but that's most likely due to the fact that the Alg 2 teacher was a terrible fat ****, and the Calc teacher was a cool dude from Ireland who told us the shit in our textbooks was retarded and taught us way easier/logical ways of doing it.

i can't remember anything from it though. we'll see how i do once i get back to college. gonna get as much of my math classes out of the way as possible. if it turns out that i "get it," maybe i'll major in math or something.

Don't have the attitude "The textbook/teacher is confusing." "The textbook/teacher explains it badly..."

Just have to keep practicing, math is about practice.
return 0;

Quote by jsync

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by GKDAIR

Right now in my Intermediate Algebra Class we are doing graphing, which is super easy to me. I dunno why.

I really am interested in stuff like biology and physics and all that its just never been taught to me in an appropriate way, im more of a do it myself learner, thats why I loathe public schooling (well im in college now)

Perhaps I should buy some self help books.

my physics tutor at high school told us that physics was basically applied math. with a few hidden extras to annoy us
Hey guys, I love writing but hate grammar, what do?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I had a similar issue in high school. The only two math teachers in my high school both were missing during my two years of calculus (heart attack for one, baby for the other). If you are serious about doing this, buy these books and dedicate an hour or two to them every single weekday; making sure you can derive every equation they get to:

Calculus for Dummies
Teach Yourself Calculus

These are purely mathematical, no applications.

This one Calculus with Applications, contains some of the same material, but shows you why math is a tool in understanding the universe with some nice applications. This and "Calculus for Dummies" are the two that I worked through when I was in High School. The other is just a good reference book as well.

If you want to do anything with space, you will need either an engineering degree, a math degree, or a science degree (physics, biology, chemistry) of some sort... all of which are math heavy. If you want to set yourself up for success in the field, get ahead now on the math.

Think of it this way; if you want to program computers you have to learn the syntax and how to write simple, stupid programs. No one likes making a program that prints, "Hello World," because it isn't interesting, but it's necessary if you eventually want to write a program that simulates to colliding space-ships and the resulting awesomeness.