Anybody know of what mic's would be best for overheads on a drum kit for a demo
What's your budget mate?
I've used a cheap set of Behringer C-2 as well as a decent kick mic, always got a decent sound using the xy config.
With money to spend there's AKG C100's, Oktava MK-012 which are much more expensive than the ones I have but better quality.
Do some researching on the net, there's plenty of reviews out there.
Btw, I go on a drum forum called Mike Dolbear, I've learnt most of my drum type knowledge on there.
If your budget is low (100-200 dollars) I have heard the a pair of Shure SM57's are pretty good for the price.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Quote by S0n1c '97
If your budget is low (100-200 dollars) I have heard the a pair of Shure SM57's are pretty good for the price.

No good as overheads mate, 57's are for close micing the snare or hats.
Quote by S0n1c '97

Dynamic microphones like the SM57s do not capture high end (such as cymbals) very well. You want a pair of small diaphragm condenser microphones. I think you should be able to get a pair within that price but you will need a preamp or phantom power module along with that as well.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Dynamic microphones like the SM57s do not capture high end (such as cymbals) very well. You want a pair of small diaphragm condenser microphones. I think you should be able to get a pair within that price but you will need a preamp or phantom power module along with that as well.

Interesting... Our Drummer uses 57's to mic his symbols... Seemed to work fine to me, however... I've noticed that I have to turn them up quite a bit which can cause a little feedback..

any brands and models of condenser mic's you'd recomend?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Se Electronics
AKG
Rode

All great companies if you want mics on a budget. None come to mind at the moment except for the Rode NT5 and the AKG C430. I've some mixed stuff about the APEX 185, I can't say what I think because I've never tried them.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Niiko
Se Electronics
AKG
Rode

All great companies if you want mics on a budget. None come to mind at the moment except for the Rode NT5 and the AKG C430. I've some mixed stuff about the APEX 185, I can't say what I think because I've never tried them.

Well that will give me a starting point for some research..

Thanks for the response..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I've been using Digital Reference DRC100s for my overheads. I think they sound great, and I have to do very little EQ-ing. Probably not your high end "studio" mics, but they do the job just fine for me, and they're quite affordable.

If you're interested in sounds, here's a link to a previous topic I made in regards to a set of mics I picked up. The last post has a quick recording of me goofing off on the kit, trying to hit whatever I could to see how the sounds balanced.

Link to Topic
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Hey Taerran those toms sound really nice, I'd maybe beef up the bass drum a bit and crack the snare with a rimshot more but a decent sound for a quick recording never the less.